9ft Burroughs and watts STEEL BLOCK ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9ft Burroughs and watts STEEL BLOCK ?

On our outing today , the job was to bring a table in from south London ...on getting there we where shown a room at the bottom of the Garden and asked by the current owner what size is it ?
    It's a 9ft madam I replied ...but on closer inspection found it to be a Burroughs and watts with Steel Block cushions ...now this is a first for me ...I have come across a cutt down Full sized table with steel block cushions that one was a 10ft 8inch ( B*****D size to fit the room ) .. but this table was Factory made a true 9ft by 4ft 6inch with steel cushions , all the serial numbers matched and the slate had Burroughs and watts ink stamp under neath them .
    the steels where the first series type .. the type which have to have the end tack blocks recessed ( rebated ) ... unlike the later 2nd series steel blocks that are Beveled at the end steel and the wood end tack block just blends in .
    this tells me that the Table was made around 1900 or just before ... I would class the 1st series of steel blocks a prototype period .
    I'm afraid I did not have my Camera with me today ... but the table is now back at the Wharehouse .. awaiting a reblock and rerubber , the old blocks have a vacuum strip under the rubber and some idiot has put Chinese rubber on these ... without taking the sloping rebated blocks off and renewing ... the result is the nose of the rubber is always going to be lower than the centre of the ball , resulting in bounce up of ball .
    The table is to be relocated in cornwall at a later date maybe around 2 to 3 months time , when the time comes I will take my camera with me and add to this thread some Photo's.

the only thing I do not like about the table is it's leg design , a very basic type ...but you will have to wait for the photo's to form youre own judgement of that issue .
    apart from that I have to ask , has anyone seen another 9ft Factory made B&Watts with steels on ? is this table a one off ? special order ? I was told by the owner that it came from a RAF base .
    but the table could have been given to the Base
    the lady has given this table to a couple they know very well , who are relocating to cornwall , and are having a brand new house built .
    Last edited by Geoff Large; 22 June 2011, 08:09 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

thats interesting stuff.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

It was an interesting day today,a First for Geoff and myself .... I'm sure that it will look great after the work is done ... It's true what they say You Learn something NEW every day ....

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
        On our outing today , the job was to bring a table in from south London ...on getting there we where shown a room at the bottom of the Garden and asked by the current owner what size is it ?
        It's a 9ft madam I replied ...but on closer inspection found it to be a Burroughs and watts with Steel Block cushions ...now this is a first for me ...I have come across a cutt down Full sized table with steel block cushions that one was a 10ft 8inch ( B*****D size to fit the room ) .. but this table was Factory made a true 9ft by 4ft 6inch with steel cushions , all the serial numbers matched and the slate had Burroughs and watts ink stamp under neath them .
        the steels where the first series type .. the type which have to have the end tack blocks recessed ( rebated ) ... unlike the later 2nd series steel blocks that are Beveled at the end steel and the wood end tack block just blends in .
        this tells me that the Table was made around 1900 or just before ... I would class the 1st series of steel blocks a prototype period .
        I'm afraid I did not have my Camera with me today ... but the table is now back at the Wharehouse .. awaiting a reblock and rerubber , the old blocks have a vacuum strip under the rubber and some idiot has put Chinese rubber on these ... without taking the sloping rebated blocks off and renewing ... the result is the nose of the rubber is always going to be lower than the centre of the ball , resulting in bounce up of ball .
        The table is to be relocated in cornwall at a later date maybe around 2 to 3 months time , when the time comes I will take my camera with me and add to this thread some Photo's.

the only thing I do not like about the table is it's leg design , a very basic type ...but you will have to wait for the photo's to form youre own judgement of that issue .
        apart from that I have to ask , has anyone seen another 9ft Factory made B&Watts with steels on ? is this table a one off ? special order ? I was told by the owner that it came from a RAF base .
        but the table could have been given to the Base
        the lady has given this table to a couple they know very well , who are relocating to cornwall , and are having a brand new house built .
        Hi Geoff,
        That was certainly a great find for you, a 9ft B&W with the original type steels. I have on my books an 8ft B&W but with the later type steels as you have discribed. I look forward to seeing pics of the table at a later date.
        The only other 8ft steels I know of were 8 Clifton (snooker) type American Pool tables which BCE made up for me about 20 years ago. Seemingly they had the frames, and gave me a special offer. The tables have the American style pockets anf fitted with steelblock cushions and used for Pool in an amusement arcade.
        G
        When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

hi Gerard (, well there you go ...another smaller table with steels on ... these smaller steel block tables I think would have been special order from Burroughs and watts as I have never seen any advertisment from my books and Adverts from B&Watts for smaller than full size tables with standard steels on them .
          Unless our Friend Peter ( 100upper ) has some advertisement stored away in his Burroughs and watts collection ? a price list maybe ? with the inclusion of 3/4 sized and 8ft steel blocked cushioned tables .
          I just cannot find anywhere that list a table of these sizes as a standard order from them
          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Working...
          X