Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best table I can get for £2.5k all in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best table I can get for £2.5k all in?

Hi, I've just got planning permission to build a snooker room in the garden so I'm now scouring the web, this forum and ebay for likely purchases.

I'd really appreciate some advice on what I can expect to get for a total spend of £2.5k delivered and installed in Leeds.

I'd like an antique table with either canopy or the multiple light shades, don't really know whether steel block cushions are the right choice and generally would benefit from advice before I spend the cash.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Troopewr , Steel block cushions on antique tables and even 80/90s design can suffer from Bounce back ( see thread for bounce back in this table section )
    For £2500 all in you could get a fully or part renovated Karnhem and hillman table , not exactly antique in that they where of 1980s manufacture , the turned tulip leg with scrolls are a nice design , and Billiard fitter love them for Ease of covering and uncomplicated design , they have buttons on the cushion bolt holes which I think is a nice touch , rather than the riley aristocrat slide out panel .

Older tables can be a little worn out in areas of cushion wood like end of Capping and loose pocket plates , ok they can be fixed , but many are just touched up repolished and sent out for a quick turnaround , heavy carved tables start at around the £5000 upwards of £10000 , nice to look at ...Dust collectors and youre always afarid to play on it .

a normal riley Aristocrat with normal cushions £1500 to £2500 depending on how far it is renovated , nice tables , make sure they have the adjustable munting ( centre slate support ) .

You could be lucky and buy one realy cheap on ebay , but rmember you have to pay to have it dismantled . and renovation and set back up again .
    just a few costs to see what renovation would be

Rerubber = £300 to £350 always ask for Northern rubber
    Recover = £350 to £490 depending on type of cloth used , you can get cheaper but it is rubbish cloth used .
    Repolish = £800 to £1000
    Good quality Nets leathers fitted £85
    set of Balls £60 to £110 depending on quality
    Lighting , I recomend the new strip lighting as discussed n this forum Direct from electrical wholesaler they cost just £100 to £200 depending on which type you use . but you can pay upto £500 for these .

I do recomend the K&hillman table or riley aristocrat to buy ( if the fitter can do this tweak , make sure he fits adjustable muntings ) and that the slates are true , True slates is a must on any purchase of table . as is Northern rubber that has good bounce . and a good quality cloth in 6811 tournament or Hainsworth smart .
    Last edited by Geoff Large; 29 June 2011, 06:49 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Hi Geoff, thanks for the reply and the benefit of your knowledge.

Given your comments regarding true cost of renovation what should I make of the Burroughes and Watts tables from ebay shops stating fully refurbished with new accessories for £2695???? Is this likely to be truly restored, (perhaps they take a punt on them on ebay for a couple of hundred and selling on at 2.5k gives them a profit margin) or would it be a superficial job as per your comments above?

thanks again

Comment

I bought a B&W table it was refurbished with steel cushions at 2650 GBP
        Its a very good table but yes it does suffer from bounce back from middle pockets if hit with power
        My fitter did some thing in the middle pocket fitting and it has now reduced the bounce but in some shots it still exists
        Apart from that it is absolutely worth the money and a very good table
        It has a thicker slate as well compared to the recent new tables

But if you had a choice between riley and B&W and you are not an antique collector I would suggest a Riley just because its newer

Comment

[QUOTE=The Trooper;586390]Hi Geoff, thanks for the reply and the benefit of your knowledge.

Given your comments regarding true cost of renovation what should I make of the Burroughes and Watts tables from ebay shops stating fully refurbished with new accessories for £2695???? Is this likely to be truly restored, (perhaps they take a punt on them on ebay for a couple of hundred and selling on at 2.5k gives them a profit margin) or would it be a superficial job as per your comments above?

thanks again (quote)

You have to make sure what fully restored actualy means as some are fully repolished and new cloth , plus nets leathers etc ...but are not rerubbered if they think the rubber is performing ok .
          FULLY restored means everything in my book , part restored or 3/4 restored is another descriptiuon that should be used if items are on the table have not been replaced .

although you get a bit better bounce on the steel block cushions , in my opinion it is not enough to make much differance if you buy the right normal cushioned table .
          B&Watts where the first to use steel blocks in 1895ish , so you can get B&watts steel blocked tables dateing from that period , and they where all made for the game of Billiards , it was not until 1930s that Joe davies made the game of snooker the more prefered and played game , after this date and especialy after the 1980s , cappings on the tables and slate falls altered to accept the fast paced ball of the modern game .
          I have had a look at Ebay at the table you are looking at , it is a very good price for a fully renovated table and the seller is respected within the trade and sells some good renovated tables , i would make a visit and look at all his tables and ask about playing quality rather than features of steel block cushions , I think the screwed on cushion panels are a bit naff though and buttons over the cushion bolt holes would look better or slide in panels .
          You will get bounce back off the centre pockets on this table .

Geoff
          Last edited by Geoff Large; 30 June 2011, 10:39 AM.
          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Trooper, drop a line to lukecarroll147@blueyonder.co.uk. May have something within your budget.

Comment

Trooper

Full size Westbury. Fully repolished new Northern rubbers, nets and leathers. With new accessories £ 2500 delivered/installed

Comment

Working...
              X