Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square snooker table?!

Hi guys,

Bit of a strange question, but do square snooker tables exist?!
    I'm looking for a 6x6, with only 4 pockets - essentially the "business end" of a full-size 12x6. A lot of the routines I do are around the pink and black spots anyway, so seeing as space is an issue, this seems (to me anyway!) a logical solution?!

Not surprisingly, I haven't been able to find anything like this on the internet.

Alternatively, how feasible would it be to literally saw a full-size 12x6 in HALF?? How would that affect the slate etc??

Cheers

Is it April 1st already ???

Comment

I think this is similar to another thread a while back where the OP wanted only half a table for practise purposes, due to lack of space at home.
      I believe that search was fruitless as well.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Really? There was a similar thread not long ago?? Think I've found an untapped niche market!

Seriously though, how would the slate complicate things if I were to get a carpenter to attack an old full-size one???

Comment

just buy two pool tables and stick them together (long edges together i mean)

Comment

I hadn't thought about it but it ought to be simple for someone who knew what he was doing. Rather than a 6' square I suspect you would do better working around the dimensions of the slates and having either a 2 or 3 slate table. I use a 10'. Wouldn't you be better just with a small table?

If you are determined to make the shortened table do let us know how you get on and post pictures. I suppose the thing to do now is to look for a 12' table with 1 end damaged to convert. You might pick up such a thing for not a lot of money.
            王可

Comment

yes it has been done , take a frame and cutt the sides down the section from end leg to middle leg if you can get the B&watts table where there is more of this section it may be better the type with legs closer to the middle , the end sections are ok as you are useing the 4 corner legs , then take the two end slates which are approx 29 inch by 6 ft 1.5 inch making an approx tablesize of 5 foot by 6 foot , then two side cushions have to have the middle angles cutt off and and also shortened before corner angle put on , then the bolt holes have to be re drilled on these side cushions , because you just use the end cushions as they are there is no work to do on these .
              The slate joint will require some work to get any lip out as they where not meant to butt upto each other .
              also put a centre slate support in to stop any slate sag ,adjustable if you can .
              you will end up with a 5 ft by 6ft with just corner pockets , you cannot use another section of slate unless you use the middle section and have centre pockets , this is much more work and will give a table approx 6ft by 8ft 6 inch , you may as well just buy a 9ft by 4ft 6 inch if going down this route .

Geoff
              Last edited by Geoff Large; 3 October 2011, 08:15 AM.
              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Didn't you just know Geoff would have seen one?
                王可

Comment

Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
                  Hi guys,

Bit of a strange question, but do square snooker tables exist?!
                  I'm looking for a 6x6, with only 4 pockets - essentially the "business end" of a full-size 12x6. A lot of the routines I do are around the pink and black spots anyway, so seeing as space is an issue, this seems (to me anyway!) a logical solution?!
                  Goddard's produced a table in the 1930's exactly for the purpose of top end practice which was 6ft x 4.5ft with a layout of pockets to suit a combination of routines. They were marketed by Thurston and there are still some around. They are called M.I.P (Multum in Parvo) tables. There is one illustrated in Norman Clare's book, "Billiards and Snooker Bygones" (page 30)

Comment

Martin Goodwill the European champion at English billiards had one made I believed that allowed him to practise in confined space his top of the table game. I dont think he has it now. I refurbished one specifically made for this purpose a few years ago though I think from memory it was made by Burroughs & Watts. It had normal corner pockets and the other two made as the middle pockets of a full size table. It was to be used as a bash about table for a wealthy landowners grandkids. I had installed a full size for him previously. It was different to the 'much in little' table mentioned above. I have a cartoon of the Multum in Parvo in my room showing it used in a railway carriage!!!

Comment

I'd buy one!
                      Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Don't expect to pick one up for low cost , an original would be rare so would expect top money to buy it , a made up one would prob be around £1500 , Iv'e worked on two made up ones in the past but digital cameras where not about in those days , good news is you could buy a second hand table off ebay and get a fitter to do the conversion of the side cushions only and attempt to make the rest youreself , cutting the frame down is the easy bit , the hard bit is to convert those side cushions to look like end cushions with all corner pockets to look the same , that entails cutting down the lenth of the side cushion from the centre pocket , plugging any bolt holes that do not align up with slate holes and redrilling out , recutting a new corner angle on the cutt off end and refit and shape the rubber , then redrill out for pocket plates.

Even with a measurement of 5 ft by 6ft you will still require cue room all the way around so a room 16ft x 15ft is still going to be rquired

Geoff
                        Last edited by Geoff Large; 3 October 2011, 05:20 PM.
                        [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

I came across a MIP table in the 1980s in a place called Newcastlewest, Co. Limerick. The table(s) belonged to a Community Hall and in the late 60s they decided to get rid of the full size snooker table and also `the other`table which was known as The Boys Table. I assumed at the time that it was a 6x3 table, as the purpose of getting the tables moved was to build a stage for the Hall who were at the time very much into amateur dramatics.
                          The tables were moved to the top of the Hall and placed end to end giving centre support to the 24ft wide stage. Speaking to the caretaker I asked him would it be possible to have a look at `The Boys Table`. After much deliberation he finally succumbed to my request, so armed with a flashlight I finally got in under the stage. The table WAS a MIP table measureing 6 ft square but seeing I was caught for room I was in a bad position to examine it properly.
                          The Caretaker explained to me the workings of the table, and how it was used by the players, and how every shot in the game of Billiards could be played on this table, including middle pocket losers. The table was a novelty at first and used by the billiard players, but after two years or so it was handed over to the boys.
                          I offered to buy both of the tables, but realistically it was a non starter, as retrieving them from their confines would have been a monsterous job.
                          When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                            Goddard's produced a table in the 1930's exactly for the purpose of top end practice which was 6ft x 4.5ft with a layout of pockets to suit a combination of routines. They were marketed by Thurston and there are still some around. They are called M.I.P (Multum in Parvo) tables. There is one illustrated in Norman Clare's book, "Billiards and Snooker Bygones" (page 30)
                            Very good post sir.
                            I have researched the table you have seen and can see it here

http://www.normanclare.co.uk/DOY_No8_UnusualTables.html

or here (page 30 as you correctly say)

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=t...page&q&f=false

I was infact the OP of this thread about 6 months ago trying to search for one of these. Still can't find one.
                            Would pay decent cash to get hold of one too. its a great idea

Comment

lol, I actually sent an email to Thurston asking if they knew the whereabouts of such a table.
                              They said they had one in their museum!!

unfortunately due to the size of the slates they were unable to manufacture one for me !

Comment

Working...
                              X