Old billiard table vs modern snooker table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old billiard table vs modern snooker table

I went to a different club today and play on an old table that had just been re-clothed. It's been a long time since I played on a table like this and didn't like the table at all, the white ball jumped when hitting the cushion, the centre pockets were a mare and the white came off at different speeds of every cushion. In recent years I've been used to playing on the more modern Riley's tables which are made for snooker where by the old tables were made for billiards and might have been adapted for snooker. I'm sure there are a better players than me who can play just fine on these tables but I struggled and at £9 hour won't be rushing back to play there.
    The club has been around for years and is steeped in tradition and these tables are part of that. I just find it amazing that in this day and age how some clubs seem to be in a time warp. Don't get me wrong the club is well run and the tables well looked after but in this day and age when the pro game has moved on so much why are clubs lagging so far behind. IMO these table belong in museums I think it's OK to keep one or two old tables but the rest are relics of a game play 60+ years ago.
    I do have one question to any table fitters out there and this is "can these tables really be converted to play like a modern table".
    Surely all clubs should have proper tables these days??????????
    Last edited by cazmac1; 8 January 2012, 09:46 AM.

Probably all down to money caz, my club tables are getting quite shocking since i started playing again 2 years or so ago. Lots of them are now desperate for re clothing and more importantly, re levelling !!
    We even discussed about the regular team players to chip in and get one table just perfect, but then you would probably never get on it when you wanted, so a waste of money really. Owner said he pays around £500 per table, and at 10 tables he just can't do it. We only pay £3.80 an hour tho, £2.50 during the day on week days, and it's free during league night, so can't really complain too much ehh

Comment

i think if i had the money to have a snooker room and trimmings ide have a old table and all the bits like andrews cue and ball cabinet ,turned or carved legs anyday rather than a star table with f====kg grey legs

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
        i think if i had the money to have a snooker room and trimmings ide have a old table and all the bits like andrews cue and ball cabinet ,turned or carved legs anyday rather than a star table with f====kg grey legs
        I think your missing the point off the thread it's not about what's nice to look at I'm talking about consistent performance from a table.
        A table that allows you to play all the shots. I'm more interested in what happens above the table than the colour of the legs.

Comment

i think your missing the point cas you can have what you want done with the upstairs of the table but you cant do all the fine stuff that goes on around the table,cushions ,slates ,clothes are all replacable do all that to an antique and you have the best off both worlds

Comment

Jim will you please get off my thread it is not about the how a table looks it is about how it plays and is aimed at qualified table fitters. I don't give two monkeys what you like or don't like.
            If you want to talk about the look of old tables over new one start your own thread.
            Last edited by cazmac1; 8 January 2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=cazmac1;613520]I went to a different club today and play on an old table that had just been re-clothed. It's been a long time since I played on a table like this and didn't like the table at all, the white ball jumped when hitting the cushion, the centre pockets were a mare and the whit game off at different speeds of every cushion. In recent years I've been used to playing on the more modern Riley's tables which are made for snooker where by the old tables were made for billiards and might have been adapted for snooker. I'm sure there are a better players than me who can play just fine on these tables but I struggled and at £9 hour won't be rushing back to play there.
              The club has been around for years and is steeped in tradition and these tables are part of that. I just find it amazing that in this day and age how some clubs seem to be in a time warp. Don't get me wrong the club is well run and the tables well looked after but in this day and age when the pro game has moved on so much why are clubs lagging so far behind. IMO these table belong in museums I think it's OK to keep one or two old tables but the rest are relics of a game play 60+ years ago.
              I do have one question to any table fitters out there and this is "can these tables really be converted to play like a modern table".
              Surely all clubs should have proper tables these days??????????[/QUOte

Reposted to get this thread back on track. This question is aimed at qualified table fitters.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                I went to a different club today and play on an old table that had just been re-clothed. It's been a long time since I played on a table like this and didn't like the table at all, the white ball jumped when hitting the cushion, the centre pockets were a mare and the white came off at different speeds of every cushion. In recent years I've been used to playing on the more modern Riley's tables which are made for snooker where by the old tables were made for billiards and might have been adapted for snooker. I'm sure there are a better players than me who can play just fine on these tables but I struggled and at £9 hour won't be rushing back to play there.
                Surely all clubs should have proper tables these days??????????
                Corrected spelling

Comment

I'll pass your comments onto the manager Caz, he does value feed back and I'm sure he'll address the problem if enough people say the same thing. Cause there's a very good standard of player who gets down there, of which 1 is playing regularly in the PTC's.......

That's ashame you won't be rushing back I quite enjoyed our game and given a bit more notice I could of booked the match table..... Nevermind mate each to there own...!!!

Happy snookering bud...!!:snooker:
                  Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                  Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Its cheaper to buy old style Billiard tables and use as snooker tables than to by say a 5-10 year old Riley or BCE table that would still probably cost the earth. I play in a few different clubs so have to adapt to different tables and conditions and I was once one that used to moan all the time. However now I play on different tables more regularly its amazing how you can adapt knowing you have to.

Lets be honest, only the pros need consistancy for their game, us amatuers are just happy to play a few times a week and we'll never have the opportunity to play in top conditions all the time, well certainly not unless you can afford to play at one of the academies or own your own Star/Riley table.

For your question though, and I'm no table fitter I'd say yes a table could be converted but it would probably be best advised not to.
                    The cushions would be the main problem, older tables would need to have steel block cushions fitted which are generally a lot wider than billiard table cushions. This would mean a few alterations would probably be need to actually fit these cushions to the frame, possibly would need to be specially made which could cost a fortune. Would probably be cheaper picking up a 2nd hand BCE or Aristocrat IMO.

Comment

Jim will you please get off my thread it is not about the how a table looks it is about it plays and is aimed a qualified table fitters. I don't give two monkeys what you like or don't like.
                      If you want to talk about the look of old tables over new one start your own thread.
                      behopes you never fall of that horse its a long long way down you might hurt yourself

Comment

Jim will you please get off my thread it is not about the how a table looks it is about it plays and is aimed a qualified table fitters. I don't give two monkeys what you like or don't like.
                        Sometimes caz you come across as a right arse
                        No need to be rude mate

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                          I'll pass your comments onto the manager Caz, he does value feed back and I'm sure he'll address the problem if enough people say the same thing. Cause there's a very good standard of player who gets down there, of which 1 is playing regularly in the PTC's.......

That's ashame you won't be rushing back I quite enjoyed our game and given a bit more notice I could of booked the match table..... Nevermind mate each to there own...!!!

Happy snookering bud...!!:snooker:
                          Hi Jim, I enjoyed are game and feel I played OK given the way the table played ( don't take this personally). I'm quite happy to return and give the other table a go even tho I think the club is very expensive.
                          Don't worry about passing on my comments I don't think a visitor to your club playing a few hours of snooker is going to make any impact on his thinking and you yourself are miss reading the post it is not about trying to make old billiard tables play like modern snooker tables it is should they even be in clubs today. Like I said it's a good club just dated that's all. I think you should come down my way next time and I'll take you to jesters where we can play all day for a £10 on some very nice modern tables. They even have a steel blocker down there all tho I never played on it.

Comment

Jim what the hell on you on get some help mate and start you own thread if you want to talk rubbish. I am going to ask the same question in a new thread as this one has been twisted and contaminated. Waffling on about silver legs and horses and I do get the hump when ppl start swearing on my threads there is no need for it.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              Sometimes caz you come across as a right arse
                              No need to be rude mate
                              I won't put up with ppl coming on my thread and swearing. To be honest I don't give a rats arse what you think either.

Comment

Working...
                              X