Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament grade table brands

Here I have some very simple questions.
    I know that BCE has made westbury for a long time, since the 80s I believe, But every time I watch tournaments they only use Strachan (or STAR) not sure which of these 2 words is the brand. Why don't they use BCE tables in tournaments? Is Westbury tournament grade?

Originally Posted by Cue_Seeker View Post
    Here I have some very simple questions.
    I know that BCE has made westbury for a long time, since the 80s I believe, But every time I watch tournaments they only use Strachan (or STAR) not sure which of these 2 words is the brand. Why don't they use BCE tables in tournaments? Is Westbury tournament grade?
    My understanding is that STAR is the able brand, whilst STRACHAN manufacture the cloth.

Comment

Last poster is correct. Table is STAR who are Chinese manufacturer and cloth is by Strachan who were until recently owned by USA textile company Milliken. It is now owned by Vespa Capital.

In theory any steel block table can be made to conform to tournament spec, barring the fact that STAR use 50mm slates whereas RILEY and BCE ( who are the same company now) use 45mm slates

Comment

Originally Posted by maryfield View Post
        Last poster is correct. Table is STAR who are Chinese manufacturer and cloth is by Strachan who were until recently owned by USA textile company Milliken. It is now owned by Vespa Capital.

In theory any steel block table can be made to conform to tournament spec, barring the fact that STAR use 50mm slates whereas RILEY and BCE ( who are the same company now) use 45mm slates
        By steel block you meant steel cushion? Also, besides the slate thickness, do you think other aspects of Westbury conform to the tournament grade?

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue_Seeker View Post
          Why don't they use BCE tables in tournaments?
          Because they're not Chinese.

Comment

Originally Posted by FOXMULDER View Post
            lol thanks for the laugh, i will make a separate post ask about westbury instead. as the topic is misleading and I don't know how to edit the title

Comment

Originally Posted by FOXMULDER View Post
              I think the new ones are Chinese.

Comment

Hi,

Just joined and noticed your remarks.

Strachan is as you say the maufacturer of the cloth, now named WSP Textiles.

The old Westbury table was designed for tournament specification by the same person that deisgned the current Star table. Many revisions have been made to this table and it is more advanced in may ways to the Westbury. Although Chinese in origin the tournament tables are prepared to tournament specification in the UK, by World Snooker Services of Bristol.

Comment

Welcome WSS. Very interesting comments about the tables. I have a BCE Westbury and would like to find out the date of the frame based on the serial numbers on all the parts. Do you know anything about this?

And who is 'the person' who designed the BCE and Star tables? Did that person also design the Aristocrats that were used inbetween the BCE and Star?

Comment

Hi,

Can't help with the serial numbers I'm afraid, and I am not aware of anyone who would have them, sorry.

To my knowlegede the same guy was also involved with the Aristocrat, his name is Pete Godwin

Comment

It was a long shot i know I have tried to find out before, without any joy. The slates are dated, but it would be interesting to know if the frame is the same date and matches the slates from day one.

Comment

It may be possible to tell if the slate is original, but only on a recover. I believed they used am Italian Slate Ardesia.
                        Who looks after your table when it needs recovering and levelling?

Comment

It is Ardesia, from 1987. I had a local guy (note i'm in Bulgaria) fit it, and not very well. It's good now though, as i levelled it myself since the initial fitting. I'm not sure who i'll get to re-cloth it in future though, but that shouldn't need doing for a number of years as it's a home table and isn't over used like a club table can be.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sales & WSS View Post
                            Hi,

Just joined and noticed your remarks.

Strachan is as you say the maufacturer of the cloth, now named WSP Textiles.

The old Westbury table was designed for tournament specification by the same person that deisgned the current Star table. Many revisions have been made to this table and it is more advanced in may ways to the Westbury. Although Chinese in origin the tournament tables are prepared to tournament specification in the UK, by World Snooker Services of Bristol.
                            By the way, how do you say "Strachan"?

Comment

For the purist it is pronounced "Strawn"
                              When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

Working...
                              X