Ring Prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring Prevention

I use Strachan no 10 cloth, however, there are circular ring marks around the blue, pink and black. It's obviously due to the lighting but thought do they only appear on the match cloth that I am using. No big deal but thought I would ask people's opinions.

Thanks in advance for any insights..
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

are you sure it is from the lighting?
    I have seen these marks, a concentric ring around each of the blue/pink/black spots, on my usual table and I believe they are more likely to be chalk marks from the constant and consistent hitting the coloured ball on their spot by the white. You will notice that the main radius of the ring is very close to the radius of the balls
    A brush should remove them before they get too much bedded in.
    Maybe a table fitter can come on with the real reason and solution
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I think it's to do with the constant rubbing of your hands as you replace the balls back on the spot, thus turning yellowish as the oil and dirt gets on the cloth and also the wearing out of the nap in that general area

Comment

Thank you, guys...

They are the radius of the ball's but the rings will not brush out. The cloth is nearly 8 week old ( i think ) so it should have some wear. Yellow, brown and green spots fine..
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Yes Lighting do affect the Balls and Cloth but Real Reason for the Rings is Placing them back on there Spots, As if you look at Yellow, Green, Brown on Most Tables are ok just Blue,Pink,Black have them as thats what gets potted the Most after the Reds.

Comment

Sweat and palm rubb marks like this ( 0 ) mostly around th blue and pink and black when placeing the ball back on it's spot , not so much around the other spots in the D ?
            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

I see this in snooker halls all the time... if this is a private table, ask yourself this question, when you put the balls back on the spot, does your palm touch/rub against the table, if yes, then you've got your answer...

Comment

Yes, its my Star I purchased. No, I just replace the balls and do not touch the table, strange. Maybe I will try Flash special surfaces on the cloth ..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

I've seen these rings on many of the more "well-used" tables and, rightly or wrongly, I just assumed that the ring around the high coloured spots is caused literally by the white hitting the colour thousands of times. Sometimes the white will lift slightly and I thought that when it lands again it could certainly cause the cloth to show these signs. ( I suspect that this happens a lot more than we notice).
                  That would certainly explain why the rings are always exactly a full ball distance from the spot.
                  Anyway, that's what I thought :-)
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
                    I've seen these rings on many of the more "well-used" tables and, rightly or wrongly, I just assumed that the ring around the high coloured spots is caused literally by the white hitting the colour thousands of times. Sometimes the white will lift slightly and I thought that when it lands again it could certainly cause the cloth to show these signs. ( I suspect that this happens a lot more than we notice).
                    That would certainly explain why the rings are always exactly a full ball distance from the spot.
                    Anyway, that's what I thought :-)
                    I'm pretty sure you're right. The sharply defined rings around the blue, pink and black are caused by the collision between the cueball and object ball. If you pot the blue with bottom on the cue ball, the cue ball will push down into the cloth and if you pot the blue with top, the cue ball will jump sightly. I imagine the rings are more due to the screw and stun shots. After a while you'll see that the rings have more pronounced bits opposite the usual pocket for that colour.
                    The larger less defined patches outside these rings are caused by palms (notably either side of the blue spot where people stretch a bit).

Comment

Working...
                    X