Billiard tables on Board a SHIP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billiard tables on Board a SHIP ?

here is one for you , many people think that Billiard tables cannot possibly be put on a ship becuse it would never be level ?
    well here is a photo of HMS RENOWN with a 9ft or 10ft Billiard Table in the Officers Mess room
    I think it would have been built like a Diner table with adjusters under the slate to level when in Port , but would be fun trying to play a game of Billiards when at Sea ?

[/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRhfcXxM79U

Comment

Feel seasick watching that vid, very clever mind you
      Great pic Geoff

Comment

Geoff,
        I am led to believe that quite a lot of the larger RN battleships had Billiard tables installed in the Officers Mess onboard. These would have been pre WW1 and would have been only on the larger ships. H W Stevenson wrote a series of articles and gave accounts of his play on Royal Navy vessels, these were given to Norman Clares Museum by Stevensons daughter, but as far as I know the articles were never published. It is a fascinating pic of the table and one that I had never seen before, so thanks for sharing.
        The youtube clip of the Pool table is taken from Royal Carribeans ` Splendour of the Seas` cruise liner. I had the pleasure of playing on this table 3 years ago. I found it weird playing while the ship tossed around, and all the time the table stayed 100% level.
        I would loved to have got in under the table to see the `nuts n bolts` of it and how the gyroscopes manage to keep this level, but alas nothing can be seen.
        G
        When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

hi Gerard , the Battleship destoyer Renown was in fact built right at the end of WW1 but never saw service until after the war My Father was in the Royal navy as a Stoker on a mine sweeper Frigate HMS GLENCOE , that was involved in the capture of a German U boat off the Anglesy coast , the Captain of the u boat shot himself as he came out of the turret , the u boat was then towed towards a port in Scotland but the tow rope snapped and it sank off the coast of the Isle of man , it was the latest u boat that the germans where useing and would have gave vital information about it's capabilities if they had managed to get it into port for inspection,
          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Wouldn't it make sense to have the floor auto leveling as well, so the player can remain steady, or am i suffering from brain fade now?

Comment

Think cost.

Comment

Nice find Geoff, I believe that I posted this before, but just in case.
                Mike

Comment

That guy looks to have a good technique for 1908.

Comment

Originally Posted by bricktip View Post
                    That guy looks to have a good technique for 1908.
                    Lol... I was thinking the same. His grip looks a tad too floppy though but I bet he shoots better than that guy in the Youtube video...
                    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I wonder if this is where Kirk Stevens got the idea from for the white suit

Comment

Do my eyes deceive me or has that bounder got 3 buttons on his cuff? Unspeakable!
                        王可

Comment

Billiard tables on Board a SHIP ?

You all missed the fact a women is playing billiards!! Only on a ship would they allow this kind of carry on!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X