What are these for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these for?

In one of the clubs i go to theres one table that has these attached to it, seems nobody is really sure what theyre for. To me it looks like some kind of mounting system for the fishing tackle to be attached to, seems logical seeing as theres 2 of them and theyre about the right distance apart for the 3/4 butt to fit. Its the only table in the place with these on it. Im thinking maybe a hook would go through the top with some sort of thicker part on it at a certain point to stop the hook sliding through and falling off?

could they have possibly been ash trays i have seen snooker tables before with ashtrays round the edge like this.

Comment

Somewhere to put your beer lol.

Comment

they had little brass dishes in them and you put your cigar or cig while you where taking a shot well thats my theory.

Comment

Would hooks for the long tackle fix into them?

Comment

A place for the carpet fitters to put their tools.

Comment

Strong shadows on that table.
              王可

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                Would hooks for the long tackle fix into them?
                I think they would, none around to try though.

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                Strong shadows on that table.
                Nope, thats actually the hall lights doing that, table lights weren't on at the time as we were heading out. Could also be to do with the flash from my phone camera.
                Last edited by narl; 7 June 2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Surely it is part of a mounting system to hold the Scaffolding?

Comment

Originally Posted by JeeSe View Post
                    Surely it is part of a mounting system to hold the Scaffolding?
                    Thats what i think as well, that being said a few of the older players who are into their 70's and been playing for 50+ years have never seen these before, which i find a bit suprising.

Comment

IMO... They are designed to hold ones saggy balls surely, you know what it's like as ya get older....

On a serious note, i'm going with them being 'ball holders' for billiards or such like around them lines.... ???

Comment

What are these for?

seen something similar to that it had 2 hooks on them different Hight one had the long rest on it the other had the long cue

Comment

Don`t know what these are for but the `ashtrays` are for holding chalk.

Comment

What are these for?

Hi mate. Growing up I played at a wmc with my dad. The tables in the club, had them on. They had silver cups in which were used as ashtrays. In pretty sauté that they were not made for that purpose. Just like coca cola wasn't made for drinking.
                            Always a pleasure

Comment

in nearly 40 years as a billiard fitter I have not come across these , as for some who say they have come across ash tray cups , I think you will find these are chalk cups and are located under ivory or ebony dots in the cushion wood capping some tables have no dots having had these fitted at later date , but this two hole bracket could be anything from say HOLDING THE 2 SNOOKER PLUS BALLS ? to part for a rail ball return system used on burroughs and watts tables which used to outskirt the outside of the table as ball retun to baulk for billiards .
                              is there also one on the other side or has there been one there look under for screw holes ?

the table is a burroughs and watts fluted leg with concealed knee panel , but it has modern none B&W standard cushions on it .
                              Last edited by Geoff Large; 8 June 2012, 01:06 PM.
                              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Working...
                              X