X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst ever designed Snooker Table

and the gulty party is RILEY !!! take a look on ebay link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/full-size-...item1e70f1cd86

this table on ebay is called the Riley starline , it is one of the worst tables ever designed (MAYBE THE WORST ). you have to acess the lower shroud from the access panels on each end ,you will then see V shaped tressels with leveling screw bar to adjust the level and these make it very unstable , if you take a shot on this table and lean on it hard you can turn the ball , it is that unstable .

To recover this table , you have to take out rubber beading a lot of small screws , then the upper shroud just to get at the cushion bolts , allow at least double the amount of time to recover one of these , I used to maintain a few in the 1970s/80s , and last time I was at Leicester rileys , they had a few of these but with normal cushions on , they had removed all the upper shroud which looks odd , the only thing this table is good for is the slates and cushion bolts .
    if anyone is looking for a full sized table steer well clear of this one .

the advert says it cost £1500 for new cloth ? , well thats a bit over the top, if true soemone has had his pants down , I can see double the price to recover but not 4 times .

if someone wants a modern looking table then the Thurston Jubilee table is the better one to go for , very sturdy , great brass pockets ideal for taking fast hard shots , and formica finnish . here is a link to the jubilee which they still make new today for around £6000 . and is available as a 8ft / 9ft and 10 ft .

http://www.thurston.co.uk/Pages/Prod...6&ItemID=T5412
    Last edited by Geoff Large; 6 August 2012, 09:28 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Very good, Geoff. I see there is a bid in on it already. I wonder if the 99p bid is for 1 or all 6 they have got.
    王可

Comment

I actually think they look quite cool but with what Geoff says I think 99p should be buy it now :P

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
        .... the advert says it cost £1500 for new cloth ? , well thats a bit over the top, if true soemone has had his pants down , I can see double the price to recover but not 4 times ......
        Actually it says "cost £1500 to recover felt on 3" i took that as being for 3 tables ???

Comment

It looks pretty cool. They were obviously trying something different with this one, although it looks like a super sized pool table. It's enough work maintaining a "normal" snooker table. Imagine having a club full of these.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Actually it says "cost £1500 to recover felt on 3" i took that as being for 3 tables ???
            Well £500 is not bad for a recover on one of those if no vat is involved , if the tables are upstairs i doub't they will get any takers , Iv'e seen better tables go for 99p on ebay . they are a fitters nightmare to work on .
            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
              Iv'e seen better tables go for 99p on ebay . they are a fitters nightmare to work on .
              Yeah, I bet. I wonder how much the seller will eventually get for it..

Comment

Possibly have to pay somebody to take them away.

It is a shame they didn't work because it seems to have been an attempt to do something different and restyle the table totally. Of course if you allow a designer to design you have got to have some input from people who know about how the thing works at the same time. "Form follows function".
                王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                  Possibly have to pay somebody to take them away.

It is a shame they didn't work because it seems to have been an attempt to do something different and restyle the table totally. Of course if you allow a designer to design you have got to have some input from people who know about how the thing works at the same time. "Form follows function".
                  You see guys. Mine ain't so bad is it,, haha..
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

You are setting the bar fairly low there though.
                    Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                    You see guys. Mine ain't so bad is it,, haha..
                    王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                      You are setting the bar fairly low there though.
                      Dunno about that. I had a Riley Aristocrat TC before my Star....http://www.rileyleisure.com/store/sl...n/default.aspx

JP Majestic
                      3/4
                      57"
                      17oz
                      9.5mm Elk

Comment

So i suppose you're hoping that world snooker don't change their table supply contract anytime soon

Comment

Originally Posted by bricktip View Post
                          So i suppose you're hoping that world snooker don't change their table supply contract anytime soon

My hut is so contemporary, any other table would have looked out of place..No, if they loose the table contract, so what.. King of residuals are my beloved automobiles, ouch...Having your own table is well paid back to you through something you love enjoying and that's playing as much as you like and when you want. Of course I could of gone cheaper, I knew that before I bought the Star, but I have no regrets whatsoever...
                          JP Majestic
                          3/4
                          57"
                          17oz
                          9.5mm Elk

Comment

Was this table or something similar used in the 70s/80s at a WC? The sad think about this advert, is that they're selling all six tables, that appears to be another club gone.

I love the design, kinda Close Encounters meets snooker. Does this table really wobble a lot?
                            Last edited by Particle Physics; 7 August 2012, 10:39 AM.
                            Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Geoff I have had the misfortune of re-covering one of these. Never again! Bloody nightmare to work on. The one that I worked on was actually had a standard table frame below it which had been modified to accommodate the `cowling`. Another downside of them was the `cowling` acted like an amplifier for the rebound noise of the cushion. All in all best forgotten and left well alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X