Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philip in china
    replied
    Currently still in pieces waiting for my snooker room to be finished. Once it is up and working I shall certainly be posting some photos.

When I have seen french polishers doing their job they have usually dismantled the furniture as far as possible then stripped off old finish using caustic paint stripper. It seemed to be like polystrippa or nitromorse- you know the kind of thing. They would then clean that off very thoroughly. They then rubbed down mainly using wire wool. Once that is done stain until it is uniform and then apply the finish. As I said french polish is not recommended but I am sure the preparation is the same no matter what the final finish is going to be.

Originally Posted by chas6868 View Post
    Philip

Would you consider posting a few pictures of you table, would like to see the table it all its glory!

Charles

Leave a comment:

• chas6868
    replied
    Philip

Would you consider posting a few pictures of you table, would like to see the table it all its glory!

Charles

Leave a comment:

• chas6868
    replied
    Yes I want to do a full refurb,

I can do any woodwork and strip it myself,have done a bit of sanding and varnish work on my other tables cushions/rail wood came up ok but was a nightmare to try and get the same colour as the legs that I did not strip down because of the detail in it.
    I dont know if a chemical would strip something like detailed snooker legs without to much sanding as the sanding down would take the edges off any sharp details in the leg work and mouldings.
    Someone that has done this will know what I mean,but may have a better way of doing a full table,most people would tend to just do the top cushion woodwork.

Charles

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    I am sure one of the pros will weigh in on this subject. The answer, really, is how much do you want to do? You talk about a renovation. Are you doing a full renovation or just replacing the finish on the woodwork? Of course if you are doing the fullrefurb you can do a much better job on the woodwork. The finish you put on the wood is your choice of course. French polish looks wonderful but soon gets spoilt by belt buckles! I think some people use a 2 part varnish.

I also have a B & W Rigidus table which is a bit newer than yours but is still pre second war. That one was fully refurbished by Rileys and they did absolutely everything. They used the 2 part varnish on that and the finish looks wonderful and is as hard as a mother in law's heart.

Take your time and make sure you get the colour matched all over before you even think about varnishing, polishing etc.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Bedford
    replied
    Renovation of snooker table

I refurbished an 8ft by 4 ft table, sanded down the mahogany and re-varnished with yacht varnish. Rub down with fine paper or 000 grade wire wool paint by hand.

Leave a comment:

• chas6868
    started a topic Renovation of snooker table

Renovation of snooker table

Hi All

Anyone got any tips on stripping down a old table, without damage to the timber mouldings?with sandpaper ect

Once its striped would it be best to get it sprayed by a pro, as its my b/watt Table on previous threads. I would be looking to get a perfect finish or as near to how it would have looked when made,the tables a kind of black/red colour and the sides look sprayed but the cushions looked hand varnished.

Wonder how the old snooker tables from the 1910/20 were finished.
    The joinery work on these tables are great,like a lot of old houses around that time the workmanship was class.

Thanks to all who helped on my other threads
    Charles
Working...
X