Maintaining the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining the table

I'm thinking of making this offer to the golf club where I play my snooker - if you replace the cloth and cushions (years old) and buy the proper maintenance equipment (table iron etc which they don't have) I will volunteer to maintain the table regularly and for free. Before I make this suggestion however, let me ask advice - how difficult is it to maintain a table and, crucially, how long per week is it likely to take me? Can anyone suggest a schedule for maintenance? The table is not used that much (mainly by me) - perhaps 20 hours a week.

Easy to maintain...30 Mins a week will do ya....brush after each session,block regularly and iron once a week(based on your 20 hours play) should be enough.
    H.b.142

Comment

Originally Posted by misspentoldage View Post
      I'm thinking of making this offer to the golf club where I play my snooker - if you replace the cloth and cushions (years old) and buy the proper maintenance equipment (table iron etc which they don't have) I will volunteer to maintain the table regularly and for free. Before I make this suggestion however, let me ask advice - how difficult is it to maintain a table and, crucially, how long per week is it likely to take me? Can anyone suggest a schedule for maintenance? The table is not used that much (mainly by me) - perhaps 20 hours a week.
      they might not think its worth spending a grand + for the amount of use it gets

Comment

Well, I've addressed that issue, Jim, by also volunteering to run some snooker competitions and explore the possibility of the club joining a local league. This seems to have raised some interest from the management so I'm hopeful of getting somewhere with the re-covering. Anybody know of contacts for snooker leagues/vets leagues running around the Tynedale area of Northumberland? Frankly, the standard would have to be pretty low as everybody who plays around my club (including me) scratches around, happy to get a 16 break now and again.

Comment

A grand plus for a recover and iron. I will have some of that and Geoff your behind me in the queue!

Comment

dont forget cushions lol,our clubs cost 1400 for complete cushions and a recover with a **** cloth 2 yr ago

Comment

Ah that's more like it. Still a bit expensive if it was only new blocks and rubbers plus new cloth. It wasn't complete new cushions? Was about to change my prices tomorrow. Drat.

Comment

Here's a quote I got:

Full size snooker table recover
                Smart cloth £330 plus vat

Block and rubber cushions
                £300 plus vat

Nets and leathers
                £78 plus vat

To re-stretch 6-9 months later
                £70 plus vat

What do you think?

Comment

nearly half price of what we paid but you know what wmc are dont shop around stick with same dealer ,i prob could get a better deal off lads on here,our table wants doing again now poss to get a decent cloth from sheffield acadamy so how much just to replace cloth and general tidy

Comment

Maintaining the table

Personally, after using it, I'd be more inclined to go with 6811 Gold Tournament over smart cloth. Or if you can get hold of it, some No.10 ex-tournament cloth which will have only been used for about a week or so and does come pre-marked, but will also work out slightly cheaper for you.

That way, you can have the pockets cut quite tight so they're not buckets, but with the faster cloth, makes the potting easier and stops all the lashing at balls that sometimes starts to occur on slower tables

Comment

Do you need to re stretch the hainsworth smart colth?? I thought there was no need to do that with the smart?
                      I got the smart on my full size it okay,

Maybe you could save some cash if you get the smart? someone that has used both cloths should be able to tell you the best one.

Comment

Maintaining the table

No, we'll at least I didn't need to get it stretched. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice cloth when first fitted, but I just found the smart took too much maintenance to keep it running well.

The 6811 gold / tournament on the other hand, will need a stretch, but easier to maintain and seems to run slightly faster.

I've been fitting ex-tournament No.10 cloth to our tables and providing you get a good one... there are a few with a heavier nap which slows them up... they are like lightening. So nice to play on. Just stroke the ball around the table, never needing to force shots, and also the pack splits nicely unlike the slower cloths

Comment

In your experience, how long does an ex-tournament No.10 cloth last?

Comment

Maintaining the table

Obviously that depends on how much the table is in use and how it's cared for for any cloth. If you keep the table brushed, napped and ironed regularly, and also keep the balls clean, you could get around 2yrs out of an ex-tournament cloth.

I just replaced one yesterday that's been on for just under 2yrs, and only cause someone with a bad tip put their cue through it. Besides that, it was still very fast and plenty of action.

Comment

And is there much of a price difference between that and a new 6811 T.
                              I suppose if it's negligible, it's gotta be worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X