northern rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northern rubber

Anyone got a idea of how long northern rubber lasts,I got a set of steel with the rubber on it the date is may 1989, I take it needs replaced?

15-20 years. Probably best to renew it.

Comment

Yes,thought so, thanks for the advice,

Comment

If you are fitting it it would make no sense not to.
        王可

Comment

20 to 25 years is prob the max you will get out of northern rubber before it starts to harden up a bit and lose it's bounce , you can sometimes tell when you look at the rubber on a strip down , when it is old it takes on a yellow nicotine shade rather than it's new black colour when new.

Rileys used to recommend every 10 years , but I would say that is only for professional use , a club would be wasting money to have it done that often , after 15 years you may start to notice it , but if northern rubber is not allowed to get cold , there is no reason you will not get the full 25 years use out of it .

look at my blog http://gclbilliards.com/fitting-nort...-lincolnshire/

Did you know new rubber takes time to bruise in before it reaches its maximum rebound , so a set of new Northern rubber may take around 6 months to bed in , it is rather like a squash ball , Squash players warm the ball up before play , so billiard fitters recommend plenty of play to make sure the rubbers bed in , and this can take upto 6 months on average use .

I once took apart a full sized table with warming wires behind the rubber , I suspect that someone was trying to heat rubber up to make it play better , I do not know who did it but it was old wireing and was prob circa 1930s , it is the only table that I have found with wires in the cushions , in a small rebate behind the rubber .

so by placeing undertable heat ( two small oil filled rads ) , this will not only help the slate warm up and the cloth , but also the rubber and it will rebound better , but be warned too much heat will perish rubber , that is why Billiard fitters recommend you never touch the cushions with the iron when you iron the bed cloth, as the heat will damage the rubber over time .
          Last edited by Geoff Large; 29 March 2013, 09:16 AM.
          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

I'm going to refurb my Supreme table and a mates again in the next 6 weeks. I'm considering rerubbering all of the cushions with Northern rubber. His are definitely perishing quicker than mine for some reason. I think its probably his missus with the central heating on at full tilt. Already done one and another one is ready on his. Mine are just starting to sound a little dull.
            Anyway, the bits that I want to know are, what are those little fillets of rubber at the ends of the cushions? And where might I get some rubber to replace them. I ripped one last time and had to piece it together.
            Other than contacting Hainsworth direct, is there anywhere else I can get the Northern cushion rubber from?
            Thanks for any help.

Comment

Hainsworth and Peradon are trade only , you would have to provide proof of trading to get accounts at these wholesalers .

you would have to buy youre rubber from a dealer with a mark up , expect to pay around £145 to £160 for a set of Northern Rubber . which will rubber two sets of 7ft cushions .

are youre cushions like this
              http://gclbilliards.com/fitting-nort...-lincolnshire/

The end rubbers are only available from Supreme Pool tables , but a bit of old Darts matt is good enough even rubber mouse matt from a computer if it takes the glue without melting , I have even put some leather end pads on some cushions when re-rubbering .

I exchange all ready done pool table cushions for £145 + postage or collect re-rubber only . or send youre own cushions and I will re-rubber those , same price £145 plus posting . add £40 if you want them recovering in green napped strachan cloth , I can also supply bed cloths and recover the cushions in a variety of cloths and colours .

useing northern best quality rubber is the best option for these pool table cushions .
              Last edited by Geoff Large; 30 March 2013, 01:00 AM.

Comment

That sounds like a good service- send in your cushions and get them recovered. I didn't realise you did that, Geoff.

How much is carriage on a set of cushions? Whom do you recommend to transport them? DHL??
                Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                Hainsworth and Peradon are trade only , you would have to provide proof of trading to get accounts at these wholesalers .

you would have to buy youre rubber from a dealer with a mark up , expect to pay around £145 to £160 for a set of Northern Rubber . which will rubber two sets of 7ft cushions .

are youre cushions like this
                http://gclbilliards.com/fitting-nort...-lincolnshire/

The end rubbers are only available from Supreme Pool tables , but a bit of old Darts matt is good enough even rubber mouse matt from a computer if it takes the glue without melting , I have even put some leather end pads on some cushions when re-rubbering .

I exchange all ready done cushions for £145 + postage or collect . or send youre own cushions and I will re-rubber those , same price £145 plus posting .

useing northern best qulaity rubber is the best option for these pool table cushions .
                王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                  That sounds like a good service- send in your cushions and get them recovered. I didn't realise you did that, Geoff.

How much is carriage on a set of cushions? Whom do you recommend to transport them? DHL??
                  the price was for Pool table cushions Phil.

but yes I can do work on snooker or Pool table cushions if they where sent to me .
                  But most of my work is within 100 mile of my base here in Long Eaton Derbyshire.

But youre postage is going to be rather expensive from where you want to send them from Phil .

I am just about to send a guitar and an extra Guitar case to the netherlands and it is in excess of £100 by UPS.

Comment

Right, I obtained the Northern Rubber for the 2 tables I'm going to re do. The best adhesive is next. I have some Evo stick impact adhesive http://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-i...ve-500ml/72928 .
                    Neoprene glue that people speak of is a pain to obtain and expensive. I used the Ev stick adhesive on a single cushion on a table and it seems fine in the short term. Has anyone any thoughts on this glue or experienced problems with it for cushions.

Comment

Glad you are sorted.

For any one else certainly steer clear of Chinese rubbers. I have Chinese rubber on my 10' table here and Northern Rubber on my full size table in Bulgaria. The difference is chalk and cheese!
                      王可

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                        Did you know new rubber takes time to bruise in before it reaches its maximum rebound , so a set of new Northern rubber may take around 6 months to bed in , it is rather like a squash ball , Squash players warm the ball up before play , so billiard fitters recommend plenty of play to make sure the rubbers bed in , and this can take upto 6 months on average use .
                        Hi Geoff I just ran across this searching for info on my new Northern Rubber I had installed on Tuesday. I was searching for one reason and that was to find out why my new Northern Rubber is much slower then what I had on my table. I use to get about 4-1/2 cushions length ways and 5 width ways. Now I get just over 3 length ways and 4 width ways. Steel block table with new Strachan 6811 on it. My table gets at least an hour of play a day.

Les
                        " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                        " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                        http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

As I said, use it! It will improve.
                          王可

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                            ... My table gets at least an hour of play a day.
                            Not enough lol, will take you forever to play them in
                            If i had my own table it would be 4 hours min a day !!!

Comment

Go over them a few times with a steamroller. (Probably best to take them off the table first).
                              王可

Comment

Working...
                              X