Napping block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napping block

Having persuaded my club to recover the table I have volunteered to be responsible for looking after it. They are buying a new brush and new table iron and I asked if they would buy a napping block, but the supplier said we wouldn't need one with their new iron. Can that be right? Also, I saw somebody on a video use something like the back of a carpet tile wrapped round the brush instead of a napping block. Would that work?

When you get the table re covered keep a bit of the old cloth buy a block of wood sand it down so its nice and smooth wrap the wood in the cloth and stapple it at the top so its nice and tight and you have a napping block.

Comment

Sounds like a good tip, thanks.

Comment

Just Made a couple for our Club

Comment

A bit of 4 x 2 is fine. I actually got some balustrade so it is shaped to fit the hand but that is scarcely necessary! My block is about the size of a brick.

My table care rountine is brush usually twice, then block, then iron. It really is as simple as that.
          王可

Comment

Just wrap a piece of cloth around youre brush about 3 wraps , and use the upside down back wooden side , as a billiards fitter this what I do all the time , never used a block of any sort , you can make a sepperate one if you like as others have suggested , but at the end of the day the back of the brush is as flat as any block .
            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Just a question:
              Why blocking the cloth after brushing and before ironing?
              And a second question: does somebody use cloth cleaning spray
              like Peradon sell?

Comment

Just a question:
                Why blocking the cloth after brushing and before ironing?
                And a second question: does somebody use cloth cleaning spray
                like Peradon sell?

Comment

I would like to ask,a cup Match other night the other Team said they sprayed cloth with a fine mist of wafer before ironing they said Made cloth slicker any thoughts

Comment

They're not doing the cloth any favours at all.

Water makes the chalk remnant in the cloth firm and will dry out taking parts of the cloth with it.
                    In effect, it turns the cloth stiff.

Detrimental, not beneficial.

Comment

Water also slows the table down , Slicker ? where did they get that from , the reason heaters are put under a slate is to keep the cloth dry for a fast table so how could water sprayed onto a napped cloth make it fast ? Water will shrink wool cloth when ironed and make it tight, but it also expands the nap and fibres slowing the ball down , and if one part gets more damp than another the ball will suddenly put it's brakes on or roll off .

Water should not be put on the tables cloth at all , this is an old wives tale that it makes the cloth Greener , but when that water evaporates the cloth is back to the same worn colour , it is a temp fix for colour only , handy if youre selling youre table to make the cloth look good and nice and green which I have witnessed when inspecting a table for a client.

as pottr says , chalk in the cloth will clump together within the fibres of the cloth making the cloth like cardboard

Comment

Water makes the cloth fibers stretch. It also gets into the slate and therefore makes the cloth very slow...
                        Have had it with my own 6811 and i replaced it after 6 months.
                        Never use water on the cloth!

Comment

Would anybody be able to tell me the benefits of using a napping block and is essential to do when brushing and ironing a table??

Many moons ago I used to brush and iron the tables at my local club, but I was never told to use a napping block.......
                          Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                          Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

when brushing a table the dust rises then falls back onto the surface of the cloth , when you have just finnished brushing the table , leave for about 10 mins longer if possible for dust to settle , then use the napping block , go down the nap and lift off each time , look at the napping block you will be amazed at how much dust it has collected , wipe the face of the napper with hand and go back to D for second wipe down further in overlapping just like ironing .

When you have finished the bed , wipe the cushion cappings and cloth in the direction of each cushion nap .

Comment

Cheers Geoff..... Thanks for the info.
                              Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                              Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Working...
                              X