Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table room lighting

Hi guys,

started to design the room to host a full-size table.
    This room will likely be a sort of "veranda", with a lot of windows. Further than the climatization, which will be carefully designed, we are figuring out the problem of light.

Will we have to shade or completely blind all of the windows? Will we need to have the overhead lighting as the only source of light?

The room where you usually play, at home or at the club is completely dark?

Many thanks for your inputs.

not entirely sure but if you go for the modern type, diffused, high frequency ceiling mounted, like the Dextra Duets mentioned many times in other threads (I am sure you have searched for them already), then outside light should not be too much of a problem.
    Another issue of direct sunlight, apart from possibly making playing difficult it will in time damage the cloth and the wood of the table itself, so possibly having roll blinds to diffuse the sunlight.
    Hope to read other posts, interesting dilemma you have
    do you have any pictures yet?

[you cant attach images until you have over 10 posts or use photobucket or image shack to link images into your post ]
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks DeanH,

no, I've not yet pictures since I'm designing this new room; would like to have it completed within this summer ...
      I can agree that direct sunlight will damage the cloth and for sure will not help the action, so I will shade for sure.
      But all pictures and/or videos I can see (we have no clubs here in Italy) they all show very dark rooms, so I'm wondering if these are the necessary lighting conditions to play or if some diffuse daylight is acceptable.

Comment

A previous social club I used to play in had two tall windows with mottled glass close to the table (just over 5 feet) and more often it was a pain to play due to glare and shadows.

Comment

Hi Guys,

My room has 2 large windows and a double French door opening. I have black out roller blinds which block out the light very well. When your in the zone you will not spot anything coming through, trust me..
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

This is a photo of when I started setting up my room. As you can see there is quite a lot of shadow cast across the table from windows/doors. I have now put up thick curtains with blockout fabric behind. I am currently in the process of changing my above table lights also as I found they were not sufficient. I only had a 4 light set up and will change to a 6 light. Would love to have the diffused lights but I want something to match the room style as well.

home 003a.jpg

Comment

I can add if you don't have reflective film on the glass itself and you have direct sun for a few hours or more a day, the room will get very, very hot and that's not good for the table or the cue action and can make people irritable. And this game is always about being cool

Comment

All Aussies are cool mate. I would love to come and say "good day" in that room, lovely.
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

papysnooker, if you are in the design stage, then I think a few would recommend that you build in airconditioning and dehumidifiers but ensure that the units are not on the ceiling and not directly above the table
                  If you have "loads-of-money" you could get that glass that at a press of a button goes opaque and back to transparent

Comment

If you have "loads-of-money" you could get that glass that at a press of a button goes opaque and back to transparent
                    Not as costly as you think, I am having those installed next month.

Mind you... I only have two windows.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                      Not as costly as you think, I am having those installed next month.

Mind you... I only have two windows.
                      Whats this system all about?. I will have a butchers at those..
                      JP Majestic
                      3/4
                      57"
                      17oz
                      9.5mm Elk

Comment

For other reasons I don't have windows in my room. I am going to get somebody to make dummy windows for me. These look like windows, have curtains etc. but are actually made of mirror. They make the place look more like a room and less like being in an air raid shelter!
                        王可

Comment

And if anything does go off you'll be safe under a snooker table

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                          ..like being in an air raid shelter!

Comment

Light coming from anywhere other than overhead is a real no-no for snooker. Put your table somewhere else and use the verandah/conservatory as it should be used!
                            I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

OK Guys,

thanks you all for your answers and suggestions; whatever I will do one thing is bright clear: the room has to be dark when playing snooker; unfortunately, being a veranda, it will be likely made up by windows, but I will manage to blind them. The roll curtains could be a good solutions.

magicman; you completely right, but this veranda will be my only opportunity to fit a table in my house!
                              DeanH; the climatization of this room is another strategic point, and we are studying it carefully; thanks for highlighting this.

Comment

Working...
                              X