Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gillows Table

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some information about a billiard table that belongs to my parents- I'm in the process of helping them prepare to move house and have uncovered the table for the first time in probably 10 years or so, so I thought I'd take a few photos and see what I could find out.

Here are the snaps:

After a bit of googling, I understand that this might be quite a nice table, but I'd love to find out a little more about it's history- particularly the roses carved into the legs. We're from Yorkshire, and I wondered if there might be a way to unearth who originally commisioned the table. Also, I dimly remember someone saying there might be something important about the cushions, but that was when I was a child, and I'm not sure if I'm misremembering!

Any help from people much more knowledgeable than me would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Hi Matt , As per discushion we had the other day by email , the cushions are not original to the table ,and with HARVEY , confirming that the slates where also a replacement , what you have is a Gillows frame in oak with the York rose carved into the leg , and the cushions where made by Orme and sons of Manchester , the slates would prob have come from the same source , the pocket plates allthough top plates look modern made one's to me much later than the early to mid 1800s that this table frame was prob made .
    Do they have a strip of leather inserted into the face of the pocket plate

do you have a photo of the frame bolts inside the legs , I just need to see the head of the bolt in the hole .

link below , just have a look at the pocket plates and the end profile of the cushion and the very thin capping , these are genuine Gillows cushions and pocket plates and the slate is a very early thurston three section slate conversion on it .

http://gclbilliards.com/very-rare-gi...sale-in-essex/

Looking at the frame carved number at 1116 on youre table and the 1105 on the more original Gillows , there is only 11 tables made between them , now it is well known that Gillows made very few Billiard tables so even though there is only 11 tables between these two , it could be more than two or three years between them maybe more .
    Last edited by Geoff Large; 23 May 2013, 03:55 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

oak Gillows

hello, yes it looks like a Gillows frame and legs but im pretty sure the cushions are are incorrect as GCL says,do you still own the table?

Comment

I notice this posting is almost 2 years old. With only 1 posting in 2 years I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer!

Originally Posted by paul@billiardroom.co.uk View Post
        hello, yes it looks like a Gillows frame and legs but im pretty sure the cushions are are incorrect as GCL says,do you still own the table?
        王可

Comment

Working...
        X