Looking for Cox & Yeman Cushion Bolt Rosettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Cox & Yeman Cushion Bolt Rosettes

I am trying to locate some cushion bolt buttons for my circa-1907 Cox and Yeman table. I need about another half-dozen or so. They look like this:

Would anyone be able to assist?

Regards

Why don't you cast these in resin the spray paint with metallic paint. I have had to do this in the past. Very unlikely to find replacements.

Comment

Originally Posted by maryfield View Post
      Why don't you cast these in resin the spray paint with metallic paint. I have had to do this in the past. Very unlikely to find replacements.
      Thank you. That's not a bad idea. I've never done anything like that before though. What materials etc would I need - any recommendations?

Comment

not sure on any product names etc but my first port of call would be the nearest craft shop and have a chat anf then see what is online
        let us know how you get on
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

You get stuff called `gelflex`. This is melted and poured over the object that you wish to make a cast of. You then get polyester resin and stone filler which you mix and pour into the mould and allow to set. I have replaced buttons for tables, carved knee panels and small buttons found on scoreboards. You may not need the stone powder but I found this worked well and bulked out the resin filler.

Comment

You can get `Vinamold` which is the same idea as `Gelflex` and the polyester resin and brass metal filler powder from www.tiranti.co.uk

I would make a small box slightly larger than the button being cast. Place the button face up in the bottom of the box, a small spot of glue to keep in place might be a good idea. Melt the mould material and carefully pour over the button. when its cool you will have a perfect mould of the original. You then mix the polyester resin as per instructions, adding required amount of brass filler powder, you can then cast as many buttons as you like. if your brave you can make a larger box and mould multiple buttons at once. i usually do one at a time.

Comment

Thanks for these suggestions.

Comment

Here I can get non ferrous castings made fairly simply. Brass, bronze and aluminium are all simple enough. Does anybody still cast in sand in UK?
                王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                  Here I can get non ferrous castings made fairly simply. Brass, bronze and aluminium are all simple enough. Does anybody still cast in sand in UK?
                  oh yes they can be found but obviously not as many as before, but for one off-jobs I would have thought very expensive.
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

New florets have now been sourced , read related thread titled W A Lovejoy below.

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...681-WA-Lovejoy
                    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

To answer Philip-in-China, yes it is possible to find someone to cast these things in the UK at a reasonable price. I picked them up yesterday. See the link Geoff has posted for more details.

Comment

Are you putting steel bolts into brass?
                        王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                          Are you putting steel bolts into brass?
                          Brass bolts into steel I think.

Comment

Working...
                          X