8ft Table... What ball size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8ft Table... What ball size?

Hi folks, I have searched the forum plus spent a lot of time on Google trying to find an answer so please forgive me if this has been answered...

I have an 8x4ft snooker table (not a pool table, curved pockets and L77 cushions) with a lower rail height of 25mm (just under 1 inch) and upper rail height of 35mm (just over 1 1/3 inch)...

Will a set of 2 1/16 work ok with these rails?

Currently I have a set of Aramith premier 2" balls which weigh approx. 125g each. I tried to replace my blue ball with another Aramith 2" one but it only weighs 116g... I was told that I must have 2 1/16 inch balls if they weigh 125gm but I checked each of them again with digital callipers and they are definitely 2" balls as per the original box and its label... anyone else come across a set of 2" premier balls that weigh 125g each?

If I can't get a 2" @125 then I'm keen to try a set of 2 1/16 unless someone can tell me they are too big...
    Cheers,
    Mick

Bump...

Any advice?

Comment

For English snooker, the ball size is 2 1/16" and for the American snooker the ball size should be 21/8".
      pool cue| pool cue cases| billiard balls

Comment

Originally Posted by holyman1 View Post
        For English snooker, the ball size is 2 1/16" and for the American snooker the ball size should be 21/8".
        Size guide from ebay:
        6ft tables use 1 & 7/8 inch balls,
        7ft tables use 2 inch balls,
        8ft tables use 2 inch balls,
        9ft tables use 2 & 1/16 inch balls,
        10ft tables use 2 & 1/16 inch balls,
        12ft tables use 2 & 1/16 inch balls.
        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by holyman1 View Post
          21 8" ouch, bowling ball size
          I am sure you meant a gap in there, 2 1/8"

laverda: not sure if there is a ruling concerning ball size for different table sizes but the following may help as I see it.
          I would say it depends on the size of your pockets.
          eg WPBSA template for corner is 3.25" between the parallel cushions, full size snooker balls are 2 1/16, so the ratio is approx. 1.58 ball to pocket.
          What are the size of your corner pocket?
          by this thinking, for a 2" ball the pocket would be at least approx. 3 1/6" across.
          so there is not much in it really...
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hey guys, thanks heaps for your responses.

Dean, the corner pockets on my table are 3.2 wide so not far off the WPBSA template so I figure the pocket size is ok. Do you know what the rail heights are from the WPBSA? I think that would answer my concerns. As I understand it the if the rail is too low then there may be an increased tendency for the larger 2 1/16 balls to leave the table if hit hard enough. The lower edge of my rails are just under 1 inch above the baize and the top of the rail is 1.3 inch above so the face of the cushion is .3 inch wide

Thanks Mythman, I've seen both ball sizes listed for 8ft tables and I suspect the difference is in the rail height.

Cheers,
            Mick

Comment

I have the template for the cushion undercut but it has no dimensions, but printed out at actual size I measured from the bed:
              lower edge 1 1/8" to 1 3/16"
              top of cushion 1 1/2" to 1 9/16"
              face 3/8"

if you PM me your email I can send you the files if you like
              If your 2" balls don't bounce too much than you would expect, I would think that a 2 1/6" should be ok.
              Could you borrow a 2 1/16" ball and give it a test on your table?

Comment

Thanks heaps Dean, email is mickgbaker at gmail dot com
                Cheers,
                Mick

Comment

email sent
                  hope they help
                  cheers

Comment

Got it Dean. Thanks again, that's exactly what I was hoping to see. I think I'm going to be ok with the 2 1/16 balls based on those drawings and measurements.
                    Cheers,
                    Mick

Edit: Or maybe not... and I'm listing this in case anyone else ever goes looking for this info - I just remeasured my rails and I have the middle profile in the templates you sent. The lower edge on that one at full size (ball 2 1/16) shows 1 3/16 (30mm) and top edge at 1 9/16 (40mm)

As stated earlier my rails are bottom edge 1 inch (25mm) and top 1 3/8 (35mm)

BUT... when I reduce the template size so the ball is 2inch then the rail measures bottom 1 3/16 (30mm) and top 1 1/2 (38mm) - still higher than mine.

AND if I reduce it so the ball is 1 7/8 then the low edge is 1 1/16 (27mm) and top 1 7/16 (36mm) - pretty darn close to mine.

(All measurements done on screen using digital vernier callipers)

So according to the WPBSA templates it seems I have ideal rails for 1 7/8 balls (assuming the profile reduces proportionally with the ball size) but pockets that will suit 2 1/16 and I currently use 2inch ball lol

However, I did find an old training ball which I had purchased years ago that is 2 1/16 and I have bounced it off the cushions as hard as I can and it hasn't left the table yet so I think I'll get a set of 2 1/16 TC balls and then when I next get the table recovered I'll look at changing the rail rubbers and height size to match the WPBSA template.

Thanks again Dean,
                    Mick
                    Last edited by laverda; 24 July 2013, 12:04 AM. Reason: further measurements

Comment

Working...
                    X