DIY next gen table heating with remote mobile phone control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY next gen table heating with remote mobile phone control

Together with my current table I took over a classic heating system based on tubular heaters mounted under the table. This setup consisted of 6 tubes and effectively used 900W to heat up air ... which then had to warm up the slates. Altogether disappointingly inefficient.

So i started looking around how to replace this setup and came across heating foils for floor- or ceiling heating.
    I got some of this stuff and am giving it now a try. Here's the setup:

Phase One: Table surface heating slabs

From a web shop I ordered 9 meters of ceiling heating foil "Fenix Ecofilm 540", 50cm wide, rated at 140W/m² which produces up to 80°C, appropriate cabling and connectors.
    The local DIY market provided some Polystyrol slabs, duct tape, etc ...
    The slabs were fitted and glued together to get three 150x100cm pieces to hold the foil.

Why 150x100cm? Maybe there will be a phase 3 with heating mounted on the underside of the slate - and the compartments of the wooden frame are 75x100cm - so I would just have to slice the slabs in two and install them.

Phase Two: SMS Remote Control

isocket.eu produce ingenious SMS controlled power sockets that not only come with a built in thermometer, but also thermostat control. There's also an app for iPhone and Android. Perfect!
    Placed on the table just in between the slabs I can regulate the temperature beneath the table cover and the heating does not have to run all the time.

An hour or two before I head over to play I activate the thermostat by SMS and that's it.

Efficiency is really nice. The effective power used by the 4.5m² when switched on is at about 450W. Starting from 20°C the heating was on only for 9 minutes until the programmed off-temperature of 25° was reached. Now, 1.5 hours later without heating, the temperature hasn't dropped yet - it increased slightly and is still stable on 27°.

Time (and Winter) will tell which temperature setting will be best for regular use.

Pics:

_foilontable.jpg _platereversed.jpg _platessetup.jpg _isocket.jpg _coveredup.jpg

I applaud the innovation.

Could you tell me why you don't have your light units butted against each other over the blue spot?
    I'm sure the light will be distributed fine, I just wanted to know your reasoning behind it.

Comment

actually I have no reason for this at all. I just copied the setup from the local clubs where they have identical lights.

Comment

Very interesting project. Do you have centre slate supports though, as it looks like your heaters would be clashing with those if you did?

450W. I wonder how much power the heaters use on the Star tables. Anyone know?

I have under floor heating in my house, so my table runs slower in the summer when the heating is off. Table heaters are the way to go really.

Comment

I may be wrong but I don't think that these slabs are designed to go under the table, but laid on top heated, and then removed and as mentioned above continued playing with our reheating.
          Now if these can be designed to be under the table, could be onto something
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Right now, they are for table top as this is less effort for the trial period.

For under table heating, I would just have to slice them in half and re-cable. (as posted, the center slate support will leave space for six 100x75cm slabs)

Comment

Don't know about the system Star uses, but the Carom tables common here in Austria use heating wire - kind of like shown here: http://www.achro.gr/eng/categories/B...eating_Systems

Didn't want to go for the wire solution as the foil seems to be much better considering the size of the table.

Comment

you will need to do some testing, distance from the slates, distance from the framework, mounting supports, time to gain slate temperature, etc
                great effort though, love the SMS activation, reminds me of the US-program where the guy had a remote to pre-flush the toilet
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi redphex, Please can you tell us about your lighting setup like, the make or you made it yourself, is it led and so on?
                  Your heating setup is indeed very innovative.

Originally Posted by Redphex View Post
                  actually I have no reason for this at all. I just copied the setup from the local clubs where they have identical lights.

Comment

Hi j6uk, will check If I can find the papers on the lights.

They are in principle office lights with slim neon tubes, but the glass front has a special diffusing structure. They are bright but not glaring even when you look into them.

Comment

I'd appreciate that,
                      They're very shallow that's why I thought they were led. Look great.

Originally Posted by Redphex View Post
                      Hi j6uk, will check If I can find the papers on the lights.

They are in principle office lights with slim neon tubes, but the glass front has a special diffusing structure. They are bright but not glaring even when you look into them.

Comment

Hi
                        Have to applaud your design....What where the actual costs involved ? and ballpark what do you think running cost would be....I think you have done a fantastic job overall and I am looking at doing something similar...
                        PS have had the same sort of lighting put in and I Cannot fault it....
                        Looking foward to your reply.....

Comment

all in Euro:
                          The 9m heating foil, cables and connectors for 6 slabs were ~210€
                          Polystyrol, duct tape etc from the DIY ~100€

From what I have seen, you can get tubular heaters like the one I have for a third of the expenses. In order to break even over the running costs (currently at 0,18€/kWh), I would need to have it running for about 2400hrs. Not too bad for anyone who considers to have it running on a long term basis.

There are also foil versions with less W/m² ... they could be good enough for permanent heating.

Comment

The use of electric matting and styrofoam under table was being offered by a guy in the UK, about two years ago. Apparently, He offered it to WSA for trials but because of the lack of a health and safety certification was unable to take it further. As far. I am aware John Higgins had a system fitted to his table.

Comment

When you talk of electric matting, i wonder if a simple electric blanket or two could be used?

Comment

Working...
                              X