Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philip in china
    replied
    A bit heavy for scaffolding pipe I would have thought but almost certainly a later addition.

I wonder if somebody has used the iron as a weighted base for some purpose and the 4 pieces of pipe are attached to take something. I don't know what.

Even if they were something which is original it would be difficult to cast in that shape. Those pipes just don't look like castings for a number of reasons.

Do they retain water if they are filled? Also is there a seam of weld running up the pipes. It should be fairly clear if there is. If so they are welded pipe.

I wouldn't tack weld to cast iron. I would braze. Welding to cast is notoriously difficult and often causes the casting to crack as the weld cools.
    Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
    Looks like sections of a scaffolding pole tack-welded to the iron. I would be pretty confident that Burroughes & Watts had no hand in the conversion. Probably used for something totally unconnected with billiards.

Leave a comment:

• 100-uper
    replied
    Looks like sections of a scaffolding pole tack-welded to the iron. I would be pretty confident that Burroughes & Watts had no hand in the conversion. Probably used for something totally unconnected with billiards.

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    Are they part of the original casting or have they been welded on at a later stage? I can't make out how they are made exactly.

Leave a comment:

• ryanah147
    started a topic Antique B&W Billiard Iron

Antique B&W Billiard Iron

Bought this iron in during the week and Im wondering what those 4 cylindrical rings are for. Anyone here have any ideas or suggestions?.IMG_0078.jpg
Working...
X