Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Snooker Table

Hi all,

Does anyone here deal with snooker tables??? I am looking to get myself a new 12f snooker table and I would very much appreciate it if someone could shed some light on what options I have and what kind of an investment I am looking at.

Many thanks,
    Guy

Depends on what you're after.

If you search through the tables section, there's plenty of posts with all of the relevants

Comment

Geoff Large would be a good man to talk to.....

http://gclbilliards.com
      Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
      Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Don't think he works as far afield as Russia though.

Comment

Contact rileyaristocrat@hotmail.co.uk.

Comment

A second hand K & H or B & W after a full, professional refurb would be a lot nicer table.

I would second the idea of contacting Geoff Large. He comes across loads of tables and there is nobody better able to do the full refurb.
            王可

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
              Don't think he works as far afield as Russia though.
              Lol, Really I'd never have guessed that.....!!

But I'm sure he could give him some good advice, as that's what he asked for!!
              Last edited by coomsey76; 3 October 2013, 07:39 AM.

Comment

http://www.sovereignleisure.co.uk/

above is contact details for ex Riley fitters who still make brand new UK made tables .

you could also try Thurstons they still make UK manufactured tables .

every one else is suspect to chinese imported tables , World snooker for example do the star table made in china
                [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                  Lol, Really I'd never have guessed that.....!!

But I'm sure he could give him some good advice, as that's what he asked for!!
                  you will be surprised where I have worked

Canary Islands , Portugal , Spain , Switzerland , Germany , France , Netherlands to name a few.
                  Billiard Fitters travel all over the world .

I have turned work down in Africa around the oil fields of the Congo Delta as they where taking British hostages from the boat ride out to the rigs or island for ransom and the British oil company was not paying up for the release of outside contractors just their own employees .
                  also turned work down on an oil rig just off the coast in the UK because of helicopter had an history of unreliable engine's and it was a three day job and not allowed to sleep on the rig as a contractor so it meant flying back and forth in that unreliable Helicopter which had recent history for coming down in the sea .

Comment

Very nice Geoff, sounds like your a very travelled guy.....

I don't blame for not getting on those off shore helicopters, I have turned a few jobs down myself because of them.

I've heard too many stories from guys I work with about there near misses there've had on them flying off shore.....

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                      http://www.sovereignleisure.co.uk/

above is contact details for ex Riley fitters who still make brand new UK made tables .

you could also try Thurstons they still make UK manufactured tables .

every one else is suspect to chinese imported tables , World snooker for example do the star table made in china
                      Hi Geoff,

Thanks for commenting. In case I will count on philip in china's advise and will decide to get a table that is not brand new but in great condition, will you be able to help me?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why did world snooker decide on using Star tables instead of Riley... it's hard for me to believe this had to do with quality?

Comment

It is all down to finance and sponsorship at the end of the day , Star looking to promote their goods and the players wanting the most money for playing , then they have little option but to put it out to the highest bidder , he who pays most gets their tables as the ones officially used in tournaments .
                          Also production costs in China are a fraction than the UK.
                          I think you can still get a new Riley Aristocrat supplied in the UK but they are around the £12000 price range and the star is around £7500.
                          I do not stock full size tables but there are a few privately advertised on my web site , one is a very nice Riley Aristocrat at £2000 collected plus dismantle and load fee . http://gclbilliards.com/riley-aristo...will-find-one/

That's how Phil in china bought a full size not long back , he just arranged a lorry to come over to Nottinghamshire , I met them loaded the table and off they went .
                          You will just have to get a fitter in Moscow to reassemble it . or pay for one to fly over to fit it .
                          Last edited by Geoff Large; 3 October 2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

New Snooker Table

I worked offshore Scotland for two years commissioning a new gas/condensate platform many years ago and yes the copters were just taxis but considering how many flights there every day the accident rate is very low. I understand it is not for everyone. I also refused a job in Africa
                            Geoff would you, in general, recommend an old/older table over a new one?
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

50/50 , benefits of older table , Welsh or Irish slate much better quality than any other slate in the billiard industry .

Quality of wood on the older tables especially if you can find one with Cuban Mahogany cushion wood

they look better when refurbished , more detail in the carvings on those Victorian and Edwardian tables .

bad things about older tables , pocket openings , the wood work gap at the pockets are such that the rubber cannot be cut back to widen as it goes further into the back of the pocket , I see plenty of players saying all rubber openings should widen as it curves into the pocket , sometimes this is impossible to achieve as the wood work gap on some is down to 3.5 inch or even below this without the rubber on the block !
                              Centre pocket plates can create easy bounce back , due to type of pocket and depth of upper cushion capping .
                              I would say , some old tables just cannot take the constant hammer of the modern game of snooker as when they where made it was the gentle stroke of billiards that was played on them .

New tables pro's are

Pocket openings , contemporary look of some of the tables makes them fit into modern building much better in looks .
                              the blocks are lower so the cushions react better , the lower you can get the rubber to sit without making the ball jump the faster rebound you can get .
                              Spares are available unlike the old tables where some pocket plate designs mean you have to fit new type rather than find a rare to find second hand one you end up replacing the whole 6 pockets .
                              most new tables made today have adjustable muntin slate bearers , these stop slate sag which is a common problem in newer tables , especially those mass produced one's made in the 1980s .
                              The pocket plate accept balls at speed with hardly any chance of bounce back , the pocket openings are wider so the rubber can be cut like a steel block cushion and widen as the rubber goes beyond the slate fall of 3.5 inch at the drop , you can have an old table with 3.3/4 inch wide at the opening going to 3.1/4 inch at the rear eject a fast ball , where the 3.5 inch all the way in acts like a vacuum cleaner and just sucks the balls down the pocket , it sounds crazy but that's what happens .

bad things about new tables the slate is rubbish , all modern table slate is soft and not as hard as Welsh or Irish slate , the wood used on some modern tables is nothing more than soft hard wood like Philippine mahogany , many of those thin leg Riley tables have that wood on them , but don't blame the manufacturer , in the 1980s people wanted a budget table and that one was rileys .

So there you have it pros and cons , you want to play the modern game then buy a Newish table , you want something that is built good and looks good then buy an old table .

If you want the best of both worlds then buy an hybrid , an old table with old welsh slate with new cushions and pocket plates on , like Phil in china bought , he has a Burroughs and watts table with NEW modern Riley cushions and pocket plates .
                              don't be carried away and try and buy the most ornate round leg out there , the table will play the same if it has square legs on it, and square legs do not collect dust on them . .

New tables made from 1980s onwards , I recommend are , UK made Riley aristocrat , Karnehm and hillman , thurston , Raper's , Enbild to name just a few

Old tables, George Wright , Burroughs and watts , Orme , Thurston , Stevens , John Bennet , Palmer and sons . the list is long really
                              Last edited by Geoff Large; 3 October 2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X