Worlds Most expensive Billiards table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worlds Most expensive Billiards table

Anyone got a spare US$750,000 to spend on a billiards table. If so, this might be just what you are looking for.

Circa 1880 Australian blackwood and brass
    Table: 79¼" wide x 149½" length x 341/8" high
    Scoreboard: 485/8" wide x 115/8" deep x 47½" high

This breathtaking billiard table is certainly no exception. Known as the "History of Australia" Billiard Table, this award-winning, hand-carved masterpiece with a matching score board has it all: royal provenance, peerless craftsmanship and an impressive international exhibition history to boot.

Carved from Australian blackwood by renowned carver George Billyeald, for the Benjamin Hulbert furniture firm in Sydney, this billiard table is recognized as the most outstanding example of Australian woodcarving ever created. Ten massive panels form the basis of the outstanding design, which details the entire history of this wonderful country with breathtaking carvings. From the depictions of the native Aborigines in the bush and the Prince of Wales plumes, to the myriad of native flora and fauna executed in eloquently high relief, every inch of its design is a tribute to the land Down Under.

Originally from a Nottingham lacemaking family, George Billyeald moved to Lane Cove, Sydney, Australia, and began the two-year process of hand-carving this table. A highly distinguished carver, Billyeald worked for Anthony Horderns, once the largest department store in Sydney, for 21 years. In New Zealand, he went on to create the most intricate carving in the interior of St. Mary's Cathedral in Christ church and the Otorohanga Public Hall.

After its display at numerous international exhibitions, including the 1886 Colonial and Indian Exhibition in London, this set was sent on loan to Buckingham Palace, where it was admired by Queen Victoria and actually used by the Prince of Wales himself. In fact, the Royal family even offered to purchase the table, but Hulbert refused the offer!

The table subsequently made a world-wide journey after leaving the palace, going at some point back to Australia, then onto locales including New Zealand, Paris, New York, London, finding it's way back to the United States and, eventually, into the M.S. Rau Antiques' collection.

Beauty, rarity, history...it simply doesn't get much better than this. Pieces of this magnitude find their way onto the market once in a lifetime-if you're lucky.
    More pics here
    Last edited by mythman69; 17 October 2013, 05:20 AM.
    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Very nice .........but i was looking for something a little more expensive
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
      Very nice .........but i was looking for something a little more expensive
      Yeah me too. Hopefully there is a solid gold with bling table coming up for sale soon . . .
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

Was looking for flashing lights on the scoreboard as well !

Really like those old style scoreboards .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

It does not even have proper pockets with the runners to catch the balls or steel blocked cushions.

Bit chavvy looking

Comment

Where is this advertised please mythman69? Not that I'm considering buying it like!
            You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
              Where is this advertised please mythman69? Not that I'm considering buying it like!
              Here is the link

http://www.rauantiques.com/item/The-...Artist&rows=15

Fred, perhaps this table is more in your price range:

Walnut Snooker Table With Matching Scoring Cabinet
              Clearance Price: US$94,240 (Reg US$148,500 Save US$54,260)

http://www.rauantiques.com/item/Waln...t.29-1487.html

Or this 1830 French Billiard Table could be good at only US$128,500.

http://www.rauantiques.com/item/Fren...e.29-1676.html

Maybe this Victorian Billiard Scoreboard for only US$12,850

Hmmm, prices do seem a bit on the high side.

http://www.rauantiques.com/item/Vict...follownutch=no
              Last edited by mythman69; 17 October 2013, 11:35 AM. Reason: found some more bargains ;)

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                It does not even have proper pockets with the runners to catch the balls or steel blocked cushions.

Bit chavvy looking
                also where are the hangers for the rests and fishing-tackle!

Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

There was a thread years ago about one in Harrods. I don't remember the price. It was hideously over carved. Doubtless very well done but I actually would not have wanted it.
                  王可

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    also where are the hangers for the rests and fishing-tackle!

Your butlers hold them of course . . .

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                      Your butlers hold them of course . . .
                      of course silly me :stupid:
                      and also the maids will do the dusting
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hells bells..... For that price I'd would have liked bit more curving on it!!
                        Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                        Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                          Here is the link

http://www.rauantiques.com/item/The-...Artist&rows=15

Fred, perhaps this table is more in your price range:

Walnut Snooker Table With Matching Scoring Cabinet
                          Clearance Price: US$94,240 (Reg US$148,500 Save US$54,260)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14861[/ATTACH]

http://www.rauantiques.com/item/Waln...t.29-1487.html

Or this 1830 French Billiard Table could be good at only US$128,500.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14860[/ATTACH]

http://www.rauantiques.com/item/Fren...e.29-1676.html

Maybe this Victorian Billiard Scoreboard for only US$12,850

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14862[/ATTACH]

Hmmm, prices do seem a bit on the high side.

http://www.rauantiques.com/item/Vict...follownutch=no
                          Cheers mate,

If I win the euro millions, all three of these items would be on my shopping list. Stunning!
                          You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

I think the 1830 French Billiard Table is my favourite.

Hopefully I can win Lotto too.

Comment

If you want something rare, how about this one ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-SIZE-...#ht_314wt_1399

languishing on eBay, totally ignored with a starting bid of £100 ... must be the oldest table I've seen on there for a very long time. An individually numbered Thurston table, can't be far off 1860. The ivory plate is probably worth £100.

Comment

Working...
                              X