X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker room - Things to consider

Hi all,

Another newbie on here.
    Like others, after many years of playing snooker, I will soon be a proud owner of my very own full size snooker table.

A 27 x 18 detached outbuilding will be built at the rear of my garden. At present I am having the footings dug so still maybe another month or two away from a full completion...Honestly, cannot wait!

I have been reading through the forum and came across some very interesting topics (types of tables, table maintenance, types of lighting etc etc...)

However, as I'm having my room built from the ground up, what are the main things I should consider that will benefit the overall game play and the table? Someone suggested a wonderful idea of having a conduit buried in the screed so you can have a power point under the table. This will be particularly useful when using table heaters or the iron. Is there anything else I should consider...?

Thanks in advance.

Snooker room - Things to consider

AC and dehumidifier
    have you also thought about solar panels on the roof so the potting shed is free to run?
    are you going for the dextra high frequency lights?
    if you have the option now put power supply under the table for possible heaters later

oh and don't forget the dogs playing pool/snooker pictures
    Last edited by DeanH; 26 February 2014, 03:03 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Snooker room - Things to consider

what structure are you doing?
      brick or log cabin?

Comment

A bar a fridge for snacks a wide screen tv a star table and comfy seats for me and you to sit in in between sessions of great snooker.

oh and a phone so I can ring the wife and tell her I wont be home for a week

Comment

There 's been a few guys on here built their own snooker room. Can't remember their names. Worth talking to someone who has done it before to see if there was any " lessons learnt". Forum member Terry Davidson has a snooker table in his basement so may be able to offer up some advice. Good luck.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            AC and dehumidifier
            have you also thought about solar panels on the roof so the potting shed is free to run?
            are you going for the dextra high frequency lights?
            if you have the option now put power supply under the table for possible heaters later

oh and don't forget the dogs playing pool/snooker pictures
            Thanks for the quick reply.
            Solar panels, yes when they're a bit cheaper.
            As for lighting, I am definitely going the dextra style lights

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              what structure are you doing?
              brick or log cabin?
              Brick and block work it is. I did consider log cabin but decided against it only because I wanted something more solid and weather resistant

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                A bar a fridge for snacks a wide screen tv a star table and comfy seats for me and you to sit in in between sessions of great snooker.

oh and a phone so I can ring the wife and tell her I wont be home for a week
                Lol. Byrom you made my day.

Comment

Congrats there is nothing like having your own table. I have my own Snooker Room and use it every night. One thing I would suggest is in floor heating with maybe separating the pipe under the table and doubling up with its own thermostat. Great way to heat your table and also the room. Even if you do not get it up and running right away at least the pipes are in the concrete. Probably one of the most important item is humidity. I build custom homes back here in Canada and humidity levels can get out of control. Please keep me posted on your progress would love to see progress photos.
                  " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                  " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                  http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

you say power point under table for heating and Iron .

You only plug the iron in to heat up then unplug to iron , you do not have it plugged into a socket when ironing , so any socket in the room is ok to plug the iron into.

if you are having underfloor heating , then it may not be required to heat under the table as all heat will rise , some go over the top and have to feel heat under the hand when playing , any temperature above 60F will be ok ,so a dehumidifier may be required .
                    I find three small oil filled radiators will keep a table playing well and the cloth dry. rather than the tube heaters just under the slate.

lighting is important and Dextra are the lowest price lights you can buy , but the grill takes some getting out so look for quick release buttons on some more expensive lighting just in case you have to change a tube or cleaning , don't forget the lighting has to be High Frequency with white light tube's .
                    Dextra's are around £110 to £120 a pair including tubes and vat .
                    4 to 5 foot above playing height is the preferred distance to hang or fix the lighting.

Table ?

What type of table are you buying

there are pro's and con's to the type that are available , Most go for steel block cushions and if that is you're choice then I would recommend the Riley Aristocrat over any other table.
                    If you fancy the better Welsh slate older tables then Burroughs and watts or any of the better make tables such as Thurston , Orme , George Wright , to name just three .
                    There are pro's and con's with most tables , mainly down to pocket openings and pocket plate type .
                    what ever table you get make sure the slate is true and well supported underneath , and if possible double bolted leg jointed.

if you find a table at a good price and you require it picking up and setting up then contact me.

Geoff
                    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

It was I who mentioned the power point under the table. Of course what Geoff said is 100% correct. (He has forgotten more about tables than most of us will ever know). It is useful, though, for under table heating. My room is quite large (no pun intended, Geoff) so the power under the table is a good idea for the iron.

You should have plenty of space for your table. One problem is that guys see that 22' x 16' is the minimum size room for a full size table. They use this as a guide. Remember that that is the MINIMUM size. At that you will get a chair in the corner and not much else!

If you want to PM me to pick my brains, by all means do so. One good idea is to put a couple of "niches" (if that is the word) in the walls where you are tight on dimensions so you have somewhere to put something without impinging on those minimum dimensions.

Have separately switched table lighting and general background lighting.

Lots of other points. Just think before you build! It is much better, and cheaper, to design features in from the start.
                      王可

Comment

If you want, i'll teach you how to install the heating system they use on the tour. Have done it to my table and it's just great.

Comment

solar panels are not that expensive themselves it is the whole fitting and service wrap (and huge margin).
                          my brother in law is doing his own panels and he said the difference is massive
                          I hope to have him fit them to my potting shed (when I get one )
                          Last edited by DeanH; 28 February 2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                            you say power point under table for heating and Iron .

You only plug the iron in to heat up then unplug to iron , you do not have it plugged into a socket when ironing , so any socket in the room is ok to plug the iron into.

if you are having underfloor heating , then it may not be required to heat under the table as all heat will rise , some go over the top and have to feel heat under the hand when playing , any temperature above 60F will be ok ,so a dehumidifier may be required .
                            I find three small oil filled radiators will keep a table playing well and the cloth dry. rather than the tube heaters just under the slate.

lighting is important and Dextra are the lowest price lights you can buy , but the grill takes some getting out so look for quick release buttons on some more expensive lighting just in case you have to change a tube or cleaning , don't forget the lighting has to be High Frequency with white light tube's .
                            Dextra's are around £110 to £120 a pair including tubes and vat .
                            4 to 5 foot above playing height is the preferred distance to hang or fix the lighting.

Table ?

What type of table are you buying

there are pro's and con's to the type that are available , Most go for steel block cushions and if that is you're choice then I would recommend the Riley Aristocrat over any other table.
                            If you fancy the better Welsh slate older tables then Burroughs and watts or any of the better make tables such as Thurston , Orme , George Wright , to name just three .
                            There are pro's and con's with most tables , mainly down to pocket openings and pocket plate type .
                            what ever table you get make sure the slate is true and well supported underneath , and if possible double bolted leg jointed.

if you find a table at a good price and you require it picking up and setting up then contact me.

Geoff
                            Geoff Hi, well we have spoken over the phone - not sure if you remember but I called you a few backs (i'm based in the midlands) - For the record the table will be a UK made Fully reconditioned Riley Aristocrat. As for the heating, I'm looking at the option of having under floor heating since this will be a great way to heat the table as well as the room. However, this could change as the room is still many weeks from completion.

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                              It was I who mentioned the power point under the table. Of course what Geoff said is 100% correct. (He has forgotten more about tables than most of us will ever know). It is useful, though, for under table heating. My room is quite large (no pun intended, Geoff) so the power under the table is a good idea for the iron.

You should have plenty of space for your table. One problem is that guys see that 22' x 16' is the minimum size room for a full size table. They use this as a guide. Remember that that is the MINIMUM size. At that you will get a chair in the corner and not much else!

If you want to PM me to pick my brains, by all means do so. One good idea is to put a couple of "niches" (if that is the word) in the walls where you are tight on dimensions so you have somewhere to put something without impinging on those minimum dimensions.

Have separately switched table lighting and general background lighting.

Lots of other points. Just think before you build! It is much better, and cheaper, to design features in from the start.
                              Many thanks Phillip. As mentioned in my first post the external dimensions are 27 x 18. Once the walls are up I am expecting 25 x 16. I have made this crystal clear to the builders. What sort of lighting do you have? I would love to start designing the features but just don't know where to begin. Not sure I can PM just yet as I don't have enough posts. Can you PM me instead?

Comment

Working...
                              X