Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbing a table to tournament spec

Morning all...

I have the opportunity in doing a deal with my club where, if I pay for a refurb of one of their current match tables (in a private room!!!), I'd get to play down there for free - as I play for a good 12+ hours a week this would save me well over £250 a month

anyway... as I'm pretty much clueless on the construction and the ins and outs of upgrading a table I'd like a bit of advice / guidance / pointers on what to do.

The table is an old Aristocrat (I think) so it's got steel blocks, which will save me a job but what I need to do in no particular order is;

Change the lighting. Currently its got an old coffin shade so I'd like to put in 'TV lights' I think they're called Dextra's?

Re-cloth the table / cushions. As other players will be playing on the table when I'm not there, which cloth would give the closest to a match cloth, yet be reasonably hard wearing (ie so I don't have to re-cloth it in 6 months!)

Have the pockets tightened. I like the idea of being cut to pro standards, but think realistically an average club player like myself I may harm my game by making the table too hard to play on!

Under table heaters fitted. Would I notice the playing difference with having heaters? Never had a table with heaters so I don't know if I need them or just being influenced by thinking 'that's what the pros have'

Is the above sensible or practical? What sort of figure would I be looking at - I'm guess-timating about a grand??

Any advice would be great, thanks.
    #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

I could see it costing more than that the lights from craftmans cues are 400 then recloth our guy who does our tables charges 330 last time we had them re rubbered plus cloth it was 500 then you have the under heaters I think you will be up in then £1500 range maybe a touch more

Comment

Dextra Duets High Frequency can be purchased for just over £100 each - then fitting of course

I would ask Geoff Large about the work, if he is local enough to you I am sure he would and I think he has done the new lighting as well.

can we get a before and after pics please
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

wouldn't cost a grand , I can point you in the direction of where to get the lights 2x6ft cat two units is £120 and give you the number of someone to sort the table , set of steel block cushions with a good quick cloth new pockets etc will be about £800, that will last 2 seasons if looked after well, its the same person who looks after craig steadmans table , the lights above craigs table are the ones ive mentioned above also, I play in the Bolton league A section so probably have seen you at some point, drop me a pm I will send you the details mate

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker warrior View Post
          wouldn't cost a grand , I can point you in the direction of where to get the lights 2x6ft cat two units is £120 and give you the number of someone to sort the table , set of steel block cushions with a good quick cloth new pockets etc will be about £800, that will last 2 seasons if looked after well, its the same person who looks after craig steadmans table , the lights above craigs table are the ones ive mentioned above also, I play in the Bolton league A section so probably have seen you at some point, drop me a pm I will send you the details mate
          800 for the table 120 for the lights what about the under table heating ????

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post

I know that the tube type heaters are not very good as they produce hot spots and can make the table unlevel due to the timber heating up and cooling down, the best heaters to use are pads that cover the whole underside of the slates but even then they have to be left on virtually all the time or again the table will go unlevel etc , I know a lot of the pros don't use them for this reason and just try and keep the room temperatures at a constant level so the table plays fast and stays true ,

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
              how essential are table heaters? I've never played on a table with heaters so have no experience of if they make a difference or not.

any pointers on that Ste?
              #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                how essential are table heaters? I've never played on a table with heaters so have no experience of if they make a difference or not.

in my opinion mate there not worth the cost or the trouble keeping the table level

Comment

If the room is at good temperature and the room is not as big as a warehouse then I really wouldn't bother with table heaters IMHO.

Comment

Table heaters are ok but thats all they are. We had a table with the heater underneath and it played the same more or less with the exception of deep long screw. as said bestter off keeping the room at a constant with a good well maintained set up.

Comment

Working...
                    X