Finally finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Ricky2112 View Post
    We are going to have to heat our room and table some how because our table is in a factory unit and it's cold, first time I have played snooker with a tammy on lol.
    I was surprised how well our table played with the balls being so cold, just shows the quality set up with cloth and 1G balls I suppose.

Any tips on what under table heaters to buy?

off for a game, cheers Ricky
    If your room is not at a constant temp and it's a very big room that's not good at keeping in heat then yes table heaters for sure, otherwise I wouldn't of bothered

Comment

Originally Posted by Ricky2112 View Post
      We are going to have to heat our room and table some how because our table is in a factory unit and it's cold, first time I have played snooker with a tammy on lol.
      I was surprised how well our table played with the balls being so cold, just shows the quality set up with cloth and 1G balls I suppose.

Any tips on what under table heaters to buy?

off for a game, cheers Ricky
      I bought Damp Chasers which I have 4 installed and only use 15 watts each. I have installed an outside thermometer with the probe incased in spray foam insulation and fastened to the slate in Center of table. Keeps the slate right around 22 C. http://www.dampp-chaser.com/home. Here is a photo of mine after all wiring installed.
      Last edited by lesedwards; 28 December 2014, 01:16 PM.
      " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
      " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
      http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

stretching a bed cloth is not just down to the slackening off of the cloth ,it is also down to spot wear out and corner undercut area wear out , a re-stretch can move these areas and replace by stretching anew area in the place of the worn out area , but if not caught at the right time then it would be impossible to re-stretch , and when a cloth is taken off the cloth is shaken to remove the majority of chalk dust and clean the slates and inspect joints and level.
        Do not use a vacuum to remove chalk dust, as any slate joint filler may be sucked out of the slate joint and then you a big problem .
        the thinner the cloth then you have to time your stretch to the half way of life of cloth , so if you expect a match cloth to last 12 months you may want to re-stretch at 6 month , most billiards firms recommend that 6811 Strachan tournament is re-stretched at 9 to 12 months and has a life expectancy of 18 to 24 month in normal club use.

If you plan to have the precision or match cloths and try and get them to last 12 months without a re-stretch , then at least protect the spot areas with those thin office green spots I spoke about in another thread on here , the corner track marks will be the point to look for when it is almost worn through , if you leave the black and pink spot unprotected you could be replaceing a match cloth far quicker than expected .

Local fitters charge roughly 1/4 the price of a recover to re-stretch , but you also get the slates cleaned and inspected for joint movement and level in with that price so it is not just a re-stretch but a re-stretch and a service
        if you are not using damp chasers or tube heaters then three small oil filled radiators will also do the trick , but please use a separate thermostat to turn them off when a certain temperature has been reached

I have seen heaters put under the slate like the Damp chasers , then a blanket of silver heat felt put under the entire underside of the frame to keep heat within a 9 inch cavity so that they only heat that area up directly under the slate , with just the thermostat temp reader showing to adjust the heat required . the actual thermostat probe is within the blanket 9 inch void area .
        Last edited by Geoff Large; 28 December 2014, 08:58 PM.
        [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
          stretching a bed cloth is not just down to the slackening off of the cloth ,it is also down to spot wear out and corner undercut area wear out , a re-stretch can move these areas and replace by stretching anew area in the place of the worn out area , but if not caught at the right time then it would be impossible to re-stretch , and when a cloth is taken off the cloth is shaken to remove the majority of chalk dust and clean the slates and inspect joints and level.
          Do not use a vacuum to remove chalk dust, as any slate joint filler may be sucked out of the slate joint and then you a big problem .
          the thinner the cloth then you have to time your stretch to the half way of life of cloth , so if you expect a match cloth to last 12 months you may want to re-stretch at 6 month , most billiards firms recommend that 6811 Strachan tournament is re-stretched at 9 to 12 months and has a life expectancy of 18 to 24 month in normal club use.

If you plan to have the precision or match cloths and try and get them to last 12 months without a re-stretch , then at least protect the spot areas with those thin office green spots I spoke about in another thread on here , the corner track marks will be the point to look for when it is almost worn through , if you leave the black and pink spot unprotected you could be replaceing a match cloth far quicker than expected .

Local fitters charge roughly 1/4 the price of a recover to re-stretch , but you also get the slates cleaned and inspected for joint movement and level in with that price so it is not just a re-stretch but a re-stretch and a service
          if you are not using damp chasers or tube heaters then three small oil filled radiators will also do the trick , but please use a separate thermostat to turn them off when a certain temperature has been reached

I have seen heaters put under the slate like the Damp chasers , then a blanket of silver heat felt put under the entire underside of the frame to keep heat within a 9 inch cavity so that they only heat that area up directly under the slate , with just the thermostat temp reader showing to adjust the heat required . the actual thermostat probe is within the blanket 9 inch void area .
          Great info, thanks Geoff. It's the precision cloth we have so I think we will play a month or so without covering spots and then put the ones you mentioned in an other post.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
            I bought Damp Chasers which I have 4 installed and only use 15 watts each. I have installed an outside thermometer with the probe incased in spray foam insulation and fastened to the slate in Center of table. Keeps the slate right around 22 C. http://www.dampp-chaser.com/home. Here is a photo of mine after all wiring installed.
            Thanks I like the look of those and low wattage too.

Will check them out cheers

Ricky.

Comment

That hainsworth precision cloth is lightning fast . One of our local tables has that cloth .

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                That hainsworth precision cloth is lightning fast . One of our local tables has that cloth .
                Terry has it on his table and yes it is lightning fast but I think he is finding it wears quick.

Comment

Precision will wear a lot more quicker than 6811 tournament

these ultra thin cloths are very fast from the start , but with thin cloth you cannot expect long life , especially with the way the keen amateur player just cannot leave the table alone , I bet it is getting more use than a billiard hall table

one thing you must take into account I think is how many hours you have played on the table before it has to be changed , I think it would be most helpful to those who have their own tables to keep a log book and log each hour you play in the book and total it up when it requires another recover .
                  State what cloth you have , also state if it is steel block as these tend to wear out quicker on the cushions than standard cushion tables especially around the middle angles .

so if someone has 6811 Tournament fitted and they get 30 to 40 hours play in each week = 1560 hours to 2080 hours in one year , now some will say I do not play that much each week , but most will play around 4 hours per evening if a keen player .
                  if another who has the Precision hainsworth cloth does the same you will get a comparison after a years use and maybe with photo's of the cloths a comparison can be made .

6811 is 30 oz per square metre

now what is puzzling me is the Precision is advertised at just 230gsm that's 230 grams per square meter ? here is there advert for the cloth http://www.hainsworthtoptable.com/sn...uct/precision/
                  work that out to oz = 8.11301 ounce , so are Hainsworth saying that the precision is less than a third of the weight of 6811 cloth because if that is correct then it will not last long .
                  I have recently re-clothed a table in a snooker club in Derby with precision , I dated the bed cloth as I fitted it , I do know that they cover this table over for long periods and it is not in use , so I cannot get a good idea how long it would last in every day use .

I also disagree with the statement , no under table heaters required ? , that may be the case in India where the Indian nationals took place and where they are getting the reviews for the trial of this cloth from , India has a very warm climate , but put it on a cold UK table where most of our snooker league matches are played in Winter cold months and it will require under slate heaters if you want to keep the damp out .

I would also like to point out at 1560 hours per year at £5 per hour down at your average snooker hall = £7800 so even if you have to recover every 6 months you are getting value for money by having your own table and saving Thousands too .
                  Last edited by Geoff Large; 30 December 2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Terry has it on his table and yes it is lightning fast but I think he is finding it wears quick.
                    No, it wears much better than the #10. I'm at 2 years now but it needs replacing and that is about the same as I got out of the 6811.

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Precision will wear a lot more quicker than 6811 tournament

these ultra thin cloths are very fast from the start , but with thin cloth you cannot expect long life , especially with the way the keen amateur player just cannot leave the table alone , I bet it is getting more use than a billiard hall table

one thing you must take into account I think is how many hours you have played on the table before it has to be changed , I think it would be most helpful to those who have their own tables to keep a log book and log each hour you play in the book and total it up when it requires another recover .
                      State what cloth you have , also state if it is steel block as these tend to wear out quicker on the cushions than standard cushion tables especially around the middle angles .

so if someone has 6811 Tournament fitted and they get 30 to 40 hours play in each week = 1560 hours to 2080 hours in one year , now some will say I do not play that much each week , but most will play around 4 hours per evening if a keen player .
                      if another who has the Precision hainsworth cloth does the same you will get a comparison after a years use and maybe with photo's of the cloths a comparison can be made .

6811 is 30 oz per square metre

now what is puzzling me is the Precision is advertised at just 230gsm that's 230 grams per square meter ? here is there advert for the cloth http://www.hainsworthtoptable.com/sn...uct/precision/
                      work that out to oz = 8.11301 ounce , so are Hainsworth saying that the precision is less than a third of the weight of 6811 cloth because if that is correct then it will not last long .
                      I have recently re-clothed a table in a snooker club in Derby with precision , I dated the bed cloth as I fitted it , I do know that they cover this table over for long periods and it is not in use , so I cannot get a good idea how long it would last in every day use .

I also disagree with the statement , no under table heaters required ? , that may be the case in India where the Indian nationals took place and where they are getting the reviews for the trial of this cloth from , India has a very warm climate , but put it on a cold UK table where most of our snooker league matches are played in Winter cold months and it will require under slate heaters if you want to keep the damp out .

I would also like to point out at 1560 hours per year at £5 per hour down at your average snooker hall = £7800 so even if you have to recover every 6 months you are getting value for money by having your own table and saving Thousands too .
                      Geoff:

I came up with the same weight for the Precision so I asked Hainsworth but I think they're on holiday break as I haven't received a reply as yet, maybe after New Years Day. If you do the same math with Hainsworth Match and Smart you get similar nonsense numbers for oz per sq.yd.

I believe the Precision is 28oz but I'm not certain if it's 100% wool as there might be 5% nylon in there. I thought the 6811 was 32oz though? I think the Match is the same weight as 6811. According to my table fitter the #10 seems to be a bit heavier or at least harder to stretch when installing.

I don't have table heaters and my basement does get chilly in winter but the humidity is very low here in winter, down around 30% in mid-winter so no need for the heaters really.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        No, it wears much better than the #10. I'm at 2 years now but it needs replacing and that is about the same as I got out of the 6811.

Terry
                        Glad you came back with that comment Terry, it was reading about your cloth that helped us decide what cloth to get. It is very thin compared to the cloth we took off the table when we bought it. Comparison is like going from a blanket to a sheet.
                        I don't think we will put the hours in like you guys as we play golf and go fishing also through the year, so hope we get a couple of years wear out of the cloth.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

6811 tournament is 30 oz , they also do a 28 oz version ,
                          but it is mainly sold as 30 oz and has this weight stamped into on the transfer on the edge of the cloth as can be seen in this attachment http://gclbilliards.com/watch-out-fo...snooker-table/
                          Last edited by Geoff Large; 31 December 2014, 01:14 AM.

Comment

6811 tournament is 30 oz , they also do a 28 oz version ,
                            but it is mainly sold as 30 oz and has this weight stamped into on the transfer on the edge of the cloth as can be seen in this attachment http://gclbilliards.com/watch-out-fo...snooker-table/
                            This is very interesting Geoff. I had 6811 30 oz on my previous table and I have the same on my new table but the two clothes are completely different. The cloth on my new table is much thinner, faster and less nap. With the humidity balanced at 42% and the heaters on, brushing, blocking and ironing on a regular basis the cloth plays absoyltly perfect. Any suggestions on how to get finger prints out when you get players that tend to like to rub there hands against the nap. I dread nights like tonight. We have friends coming over for New Years and of course they want to play but have know idea about nap or the game or how much it cost to replace the cloth. Some marks won't even come out by blocking and ironing. Look forward to any ideas you have.

Comment

[QUOTE= We have friends coming over for New Years and of course they want to play but have know idea about nap or the game or how much it cost to replace the cloth. Some marks won't even come out by blocking and ironing. Look forward to any ideas you have.[/QUOTE]

Doing the same Les, having a few round for a few games and a few drinks (new cloth!!!!!! ****ing myself) lol

have a good one guys

cheers Ricky

Comment

This is very interesting Geoff. I had 6811 30 oz on my previous table and I have the same on my new table but the two clothes are completely different. The cloth on my new table is much thinner, faster and less nap. With the humidity balanced at 42% and the heaters on, brushing, blocking and ironing on a regular basis the cloth plays absoyltly perfect. Any suggestions on how to get finger prints out when you get players that tend to like to rub there hands against the nap. I dread nights like tonight. We have friends coming over for New Years and of course they want to play but have know idea about nap or the game or how much it cost to replace the cloth. Some marks won't even come out by blocking and ironing. Look forward to any ideas you have.
                                Might be way off base here , but is there not 2 versions of a number 10 6811 cloth ? Single shaved and double shaved ?

Comment

Working...
                                X