Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel vs standard cushions

Hi,

Buying a table, any idea if the difference between steel and standard cushions is worth the extra expense? Cheers

Originally Posted by aucott80 View Post
    Hi,

Buying a table, any idea if the difference between steel and standard cushions is worth the extra expense? Cheers
    If you're practising they are really not worth the extra expense. Theres some lovely non-steel block tables around for not a lot of money.

Comment

Hi leo, thanks for the reply. Actually I'm getting the table but normally only play pool. Geoff has one for ÂŁ350 with standard cushions but I wasn't sure how much difference it meant Cheers

Comment

Hi leo, thanks for the reply. Actually I'm getting the table but normally only play pool. Geoff has one for ÂŁ350 with standard cushions but I wasn't sure how much difference it meant Cheers
        If you're talking about that old Riley aristocrat on his website then you'll be getting a good table there.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
          If you're practising they are really not worth the extra expense. Theres some lovely non-steel block tables around for not a lot of money.
          first time for everything... but I'm going to have to disagree, Leo

having a set of blocks are, imho, worth the extra. A consistent, lively bounce can only assist your game.
          #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Steel vs standard cushions

Can the cushions be upgraded later?

Comment

yep, I would think so!

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                first time for everything... but I'm going to have to disagree, Leo

having a set of blocks are, imho, worth the extra. A consistent, lively bounce can only assist your game.
                That's fair enough I'll take that one on the chin

Comment

In that case think I'll go standard and if I get into game enough I'll upgrade later. Cheers for advice

Comment

Hi,

Yes and yes and yes.

Yes because balls not reacting off the cushions when hit firm ruins the game, e.g. the trampolining we sometimes see off the top rail on wooden block tables.

Yes if you're good, why would you want the balls to slide off the cushions?

Yes if you're going to enter tournaments or play county and above, you need to practise on what you will compete on.

Finally, if you don't want your blocks to crumble over time and pay a fitter to repair them, buy steel blocks. If you can afford them, buy them, they're grand.

Comment

Sorry but steel blocks for the average or good snooker player really don't need steel block cushions honestly. I know opinions differ but the extra expense will be a waste.

Comment

increased cloth wear with steel blocks so ive heard also. ..

Comment

I have the option of playing on both and find that steel block cushions are more consistent and therefore more predictable. You can get used to any pace off the cushion, it's the variations that kill you.

Comment

If you are going to be serious about it the steels - if its just a hobby then it don't matter.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                              Sorry but steel blocks for the average or good snooker player really don't need steel block cushions honestly. I know opinions differ but the extra expense will be a waste.
                              if its an infrequent player, yep steels wouldn't be needed (or even noticed?) by the player

but I'm definitely in the 'average' category snooker wise, and I can tell the difference when going on a non steel block table. To mitigate that I did have my own table with blocks and the table I play on now has blocks - and a no10 cloth #bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X