Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geoff Large
    replied
    Hi , I do not want to comment too much about other firms , it can get me into all sorts of bother which I can do without .
    the UK billiard and snooker industry is a small one and it does not do well to make too many enemies in this trade.

I do have a client at this moment who had a table installed by another firm , not by the people mentioned in this post ,
    and 6 months later because of a spillage , I was asked to open pockets up and put a new cloth on , and tighten the frame up as it was creaking when leaned on , a common thing when a table has been installed due to wood shrinkage to room heat as the table had been sitting ain a cold workshop or warehouse or even van overnight before install
    But the table was supposed to be a double bolted frame and I found dummy blank holes with buttons covering hem to look like double bolted legs .
    the first thing I do if I comment on things is to take photographic evidence of the table to prove what I am saying is correct
    report here http://gclbilliards.com/correct-pock...er-bad-set-up/
    this one is on-going with the client talking to the original supplier hopefully they will sort something out between them without any legal action.

Another job I worked on was to sort out pocket openings on a 10ft table this time another firm had installed and had put blue plastic window packers under the slate to level it and the slate falls where awful.
    here is the report on this one http://gclbilliards.com/open-up-corn...-in-blackburn/
    this one was resolved with the original firm putting correct by replaceing the slates taking out the blue plastic packing and levelling up the table , I followed on and opened up the pockets fine tuned the level and fitted adjustable muntin brackets .

so you see sometimes it can be resolved if you talk to the firm , if after a reasonable amount of time they do not respond then that is the time to take it further

over the years I have seen firms and clients argue over what is reasonable and acceptable , it all goes down to what you have ordered and what is delivered I suppose .
    But one thing I will say , some people expect a Championship standard Table for £3000 when they cost new around £11500 fitted .

as for fitting tables with shoes on , I would have put Blankets down , I carry 12 of these on boards for such times
    but shoes have to be worn until all the heavy lifting and equipment is in the room with frame up and slates on , only then should a fitter remove his shoes
    it is part down to the client to make sure there is also sheets to go down if you are worried about floor coverings , as the slate carrying piano wheels can pick up grit ad muck when wheeled from van to frame .

As for firms using old firms names , this is very common , three other famous names still being used include Burroughs and watts , Riley , Elston & Hopkin
    all I will say is they are not the original firms that are using the names , but firms that have been either resurrected or the rights to the name bought .
    I could have used an old name of Gents Billiards of Nottingham , but why it has nothing to do with me except I can trace back the fitter who taught the fitter who taught me to this firm .
    I personally think it is wrong to use a name from one of the old Billiards firms as a foothold to get into the industry , and is not necessary , I think it is more important to build your own identity and a standard of work to adhere to .
    It is acceptable to say you had apprenticeship training at one of those firms though as that is a part of your personal history that links you to them

you will be amazed at how many people say they have asked so and so about their table to search their records and they have given me the full information on my table , and it is this and cost this much and was made in the year so and so , when I know for fact that the Luftwaffe blew all those records up in WW2 or a firm that bought them out destroyed all the records of the older firm since WW2 as they wanted rid of them to put their firm in a better position.

All I will say is for the money you have spent is the table worth it with the faults or do you think you have been short changed ?
    if so take it further , but try to talk it out with the seller and give them the time to put it correct just like the 10ft table above .

and a photo tells the full story , most older tables that have steel cushions have warped and twisted wood capping's , some dip down others have a lip
    many old Burroughs and watts are like this and some Riley Aristocrats

Hopefully you will get sorted , but please post some photo's of the problem it may be easy to solve.

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• throtts
    replied
    Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    if in doubt Geoff Large.
    Yep, users have used Mr Large....

Leave a comment:

• ADR147
    replied
    if in doubt Geoff Large.

Leave a comment:

• throtts
    replied
    Originally Posted by DavidStewart View Post
    Hi Bolton-Cueman,

I'm a techno-biff but will try and post some photos of Mr Hudson's artwork shortly!

Thanks Philip-in-China,

I certainly wish I'd never got involved with John Bennett Billiards. When I have the table reclothed I'll sort out all the niggles myself....having been to court twice - and won on both occasions, I can tell you that even if you win you don't necessarily get the outcome you deserve!
    David,

Just get World Snooker to do the recover. I use them all time for my Star. The same fitters that set up the tables on the Pro tour will sort your table out, they are nice guys too.

Leave a comment:

• DavidStewart
    replied
    Gents,

Thank you for all your words of encouragement. The slates and cushions are from an old Aristocrat so from that point of view the table plays well. Of course I'm disappointed that the finishing is so poor but the main thing to pass on to everyone in the snooker world is how aggressive and unreasonable these poeple are if you cross them. Also just to give you some idea of how Mr Hudson treats his clients, I asked him to take his shoes off when walking on my brand new carpet....it was a wet day when he came. He did so grudgingly but when he thought I wasn't watching he kept them on!
    I then had a nice muddy mark to clean up.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
    John Bennett must be rolling in his grave.
    hmm, the old tables had a good reputation, would be good if Geoff came on with some experiences

Leave a comment:

• mythman69
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    It is a shame that an old name in the game has come to this, I assume that the name has passed onto these people or they bought the rights of the name.

Write everything down in chronological order, attached all correspondence, phone calls, and orders/receipts, etc., while it is all fresh.

hope you have a satisfactory outcome and end up with a beautiful table you can play many hours of cue sports on
    and yes, photos
    John Bennett must be rolling in his grave.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    It is a shame that an old name in the game has come to this, I assume that the name has passed onto these people or they bought the rights of the name.

Write everything down in chronological order, attached all correspondence, phone calls, and orders/receipts, etc., while it is all fresh.

hope you have a satisfactory outcome and end up with a beautiful table you can play many hours of cue sports on
    and yes, photos

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    I use tinypic.com for posting photos. It works fine and you don't need to have an account. Believe me, if I can make it work, anybody can!

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
    I think I would be looking for a full refund and him to remove the table.

By all means see him in court. I can't see that you have anything to lose.
    Surprised if they go to court as the publicity not good, especially if they loose.

The fact that their name is on this forum will come up on the internet against their name in search engines!

Leave a comment:

• DavidStewart
    replied
    Ah, thank you Mr Cueman! I guess I'll just have to submit another half dozen posts then! And you're right, I don't have my own corner of t'internet for storing stuff.

Leave a comment:

• bolton-cueman
    replied
    Originally Posted by DavidStewart View Post
    Hi Bolton-Cueman,

I'm trying to attach some photos but it seems I'm not allowed to post attachments! Any ideas?
    i think you may need to have made 10 posts to do that

I'm guessing as you've said you're not uber technical you wouldnt have a Photobucket account or any other online storage?

Leave a comment:

• DavidStewart
    replied
    Hi Bolton-Cueman,

I'm trying to attach some photos but it seems I'm not allowed to post attachments! Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    I definitely wouldn't have given him the rest of his money, I would have called his bluff and told him I will look forward to the court case, to me that's all that letter was ,a bluff.
    Like Phillip said I would tell him to come and get his table as its not fit for purpose and you want a refund, how did you pay, hopefully by credit card as you may well be insured , if you haven't taken pictures take as many as you can now showing the faults, legs, cushions, pockets etc, show the pocket measurements, everything you can think of and if you do get it resolved get in touch with Geoff large on here he will sort you out with something of quality.

Leave a comment:

• DavidStewart
    replied
    Hi Bolton-Cueman,

I'm a techno-biff but will try and post some photos of Mr Hudson's artwork shortly!

Thanks Philip-in-China,

I certainly wish I'd never got involved with John Bennett Billiards. When I have the table reclothed I'll sort out all the niggles myself....having been to court twice - and won on both occasions, I can tell you that even if you win you don't necessarily get the outcome you deserve!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X