if in doubt Geoff Large.
      Yep, users have used Mr Large....
      JP Majestic
      3/4
      57"
      17oz
      9.5mm Elk

Comment

Hi , I do not want to comment too much about other firms , it can get me into all sorts of bother which I can do without .
        the UK billiard and snooker industry is a small one and it does not do well to make too many enemies in this trade.

I do have a client at this moment who had a table installed by another firm , not by the people mentioned in this post ,
        and 6 months later because of a spillage , I was asked to open pockets up and put a new cloth on , and tighten the frame up as it was creaking when leaned on , a common thing when a table has been installed due to wood shrinkage to room heat as the table had been sitting ain a cold workshop or warehouse or even van overnight before install
        But the table was supposed to be a double bolted frame and I found dummy blank holes with buttons covering hem to look like double bolted legs .
        the first thing I do if I comment on things is to take photographic evidence of the table to prove what I am saying is correct
        report here http://gclbilliards.com/correct-pock...er-bad-set-up/
        this one is on-going with the client talking to the original supplier hopefully they will sort something out between them without any legal action.

Another job I worked on was to sort out pocket openings on a 10ft table this time another firm had installed and had put blue plastic window packers under the slate to level it and the slate falls where awful.
        here is the report on this one http://gclbilliards.com/open-up-corn...-in-blackburn/
        this one was resolved with the original firm putting correct by replaceing the slates taking out the blue plastic packing and levelling up the table , I followed on and opened up the pockets fine tuned the level and fitted adjustable muntin brackets .

so you see sometimes it can be resolved if you talk to the firm , if after a reasonable amount of time they do not respond then that is the time to take it further

over the years I have seen firms and clients argue over what is reasonable and acceptable , it all goes down to what you have ordered and what is delivered I suppose .
        But one thing I will say , some people expect a Championship standard Table for £3000 when they cost new around £11500 fitted .

as for fitting tables with shoes on , I would have put Blankets down , I carry 12 of these on boards for such times
        but shoes have to be worn until all the heavy lifting and equipment is in the room with frame up and slates on , only then should a fitter remove his shoes
        it is part down to the client to make sure there is also sheets to go down if you are worried about floor coverings , as the slate carrying piano wheels can pick up grit ad muck when wheeled from van to frame .

As for firms using old firms names , this is very common , three other famous names still being used include Burroughs and watts , Riley , Elston & Hopkin
        all I will say is they are not the original firms that are using the names , but firms that have been either resurrected or the rights to the name bought .
        I could have used an old name of Gents Billiards of Nottingham , but why it has nothing to do with me except I can trace back the fitter who taught the fitter who taught me to this firm .
        I personally think it is wrong to use a name from one of the old Billiards firms as a foothold to get into the industry , and is not necessary , I think it is more important to build your own identity and a standard of work to adhere to .
        It is acceptable to say you had apprenticeship training at one of those firms though as that is a part of your personal history that links you to them

you will be amazed at how many people say they have asked so and so about their table to search their records and they have given me the full information on my table , and it is this and cost this much and was made in the year so and so , when I know for fact that the Luftwaffe blew all those records up in WW2 or a firm that bought them out destroyed all the records of the older firm since WW2 as they wanted rid of them to put their firm in a better position.

All I will say is for the money you have spent is the table worth it with the faults or do you think you have been short changed ?
        if so take it further , but try to talk it out with the seller and give them the time to put it correct just like the 10ft table above .

and a photo tells the full story , most older tables that have steel cushions have warped and twisted wood capping's , some dip down others have a lip
        many old Burroughs and watts are like this and some Riley Aristocrats

Hopefully you will get sorted , but please post some photo's of the problem it may be easy to solve.

Geoff
        [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Sorry above 2nd table I worked on was full size not 10ft

Geoff
          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

geoff I get asked all the time, and hear about poor service all the time, I have yet to hear a single bad word about your work hence I will recommend it.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

More than this, I would like to make it plain I have never met Geoff in the flesh and receive no kick backs of any sort, I just know a lot of people in the snooker world and hear a lot of things, I live a bit outside of Geoffs range but if I didn't he would be doing my table based on the reports I hear.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I've not met Geoff either, but he is the fitter for my current preferred snooker venue (Stapleford Snooker Club). The tables in there are fitted and maintained very nicely.

Comment

after a short delay...

David sent me a mail with some photos. I've added them to a Photobucket album

hope that works ok
                  #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Jeeps,,,

Does not look clever at all. Looks to need some serious fixing and adjustments.

Geoff needs to have a look, if he would.
                    JP Majestic
                    3/4
                    57"
                    17oz
                    9.5mm Elk

Comment

I've just been looking at reviews for John Bennett Billiards on Yell. People who've had a refurbished table seem to be satisfied but someone who had a pool table made was clearly not happy.....and reading between the lines the after sales service left a lot to be desired!
                      Thanks for posting the photos Bolton Cueman.

Comment

Thanks for your post Geoff,

You've made me look at some of the other aspects of the table and one of the centre pockets is off centre. Not as bad as your photo but it does explain why I've been having difficulty from certain angles with that pocket.

Comment

Well, finally frustrated by the balls hanging in the nets or falling out of the rails I have spent an hour or so sorting the pocket nets and rails. Happy to say that they all work perfectly now but of course crawling under the table revealed yet more nasties. The pocket rails are definitely not new judging by the scuff marks on the brass, several of the undersides of the friezes are split where the wire for the pocket nets have been screwed in......you'd think that after one split you'd start drilling pilot holes for the screws! I'm also missing four of the brass countersunk grub screws that hold the rails to the nets. (Anyone know where I can get any?). Finally the underside of the cushion rails looks as though they've been attacked by large woodworm....the man can't even use a router properly! "Expert craftsman" what a joke!

Comment

John Bennett Billiards

sounds like you need geoff large
                            ...highly recommended.

Comment

An update a year on.
                              I've just had the table reclothed (Tournament quality rather than the Club quality it came with). The fitter did the cushions while he was at it and templated the pockets so they're all 3 1/2 inches across the drop rather than the 3 1/4 or so (they varied by a few millimetres) when new. The rubbers were loose in places and even stapled into position in one place! It plays much, much better now but other issues with the build quality are coming to light. The tops of the legs are veneered rather than solid oak and the trims on the side panels are coming away from the frame. Where the glue was not not wiped away properly it is now starting to show as the wood has darkened with age. Next time the fitter will fix the gaps between the cushions and the rails (!).
                              Anyway, the room is back to its usual dimly lit self (apart from the playing surface!) so most of the horrors are once again hidden from view!

Comment

You can always whizz round with a bit of stain yourself. Loose bits that need fixing back are simple with modern adhesives. Main thing is the real work has been done properly. The rest is purely cosmetic.

Are you happy having your own table? I suspect I know the answer to that one.
                                王可

Comment

Working...
                                X