X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• markz
    replied
    Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Never ever ever add water to the cloth. Too much moisture in a cloth can turn chalk into a paste and when it dries the cumulative affect will turn the cloth brittle and it will wear quicker.

It might seem like a short term benefit, as a wet cloth will slide a bit more, but the long term damage offsets that benefit.
    I had a look back at the maintenance thread and Geoff Large says the same thing. As the tables don't belong to me I think I'll leave my spray at home. I reckon tables running slower just from this cold damp spell, club don't keep the rooms heated 24/7.

Leave a comment:

• pottr
    replied
    Never ever ever add water to the cloth. Too much moisture in a cloth can turn chalk into a paste and when it dries the cumulative affect will turn the cloth brittle and it will wear quicker.

It might seem like a short term benefit, as a wet cloth will slide a bit more, but the long term damage offsets that benefit.

Leave a comment:

• barrywhite
    replied
    Originally Posted by markz View Post
    Cheers, I wasn't involved with the tables when cloths were fitted. I started cleaning them just to get some consistency, they would play differently every time I went for a knock. Think I heard one of the team captains say they had got no.10 cloth but not sure. I'll ask the fitter when I see him. I'll try the mist on the table I use mainly, I'll be able to judge if it has helped make it quicker.
    After misting, I would guess that a no.10 would be as quick as a Precision but Ding and Terry Davidson are the experts on that.

Leave a comment:

• markz
    replied
    Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
    A few years ago, when I moved into snooker from pool, my mate and me would play league games on the worst table you can imagine, the cloth was nearly five years old, pale as a ginger and down to the threads. We'd wet block it to try and make it work. The black cushion was a trampoline and the green cushion was going that way. The owner of bar/club wouldn't invest a penny and didn't understand the game one bit; idiot. It did help wet blocking that table.

But for this cloth I thought, it's only 6mths old, it was fitted well (I watched the chap do this to make sure lol) and still playing nicely, so maybe just a mist will be enough, i.e. no water droplets. Lo and behold it works a treat. I guess mist is somewhere in between what Geoff says and what Terry Griffiths says, so maybe it's a safe solution. I found it worked magic and the results are better than just a double iron but I guess it will depend on your cloth. If you're using a Hainsworth match cloth, the results will be less dramatic because that's a quick cloth to begin with. If you're using a precision cloth, you shouldbn't need to do it at all. If I had a Strachan club cloth, I'd wet block. lol
    Cheers, I wasn't involved with the tables when cloths were fitted. I started cleaning them just to get some consistency, they would play differently every time I went for a knock. Think I heard one of the team captains say they had got no.10 cloth but not sure. I'll ask the fitter when I see him. I'll try the mist on the table I use mainly, I'll be able to judge if it has helped make it quicker.

Leave a comment:

• barrywhite
    replied
    Originally Posted by markz View Post
    Tempted to give it a go myself, I found out a fine mist spray last week but been putting off trying because of what Geoff said on the maintaining a table thread. I suppose my best bet would be to test it out on one of the tables as I wouldn't mind them being a little faster.
    A few years ago, when I moved into snooker from pool, my mate and me would play league games on the worst table you can imagine, the cloth was nearly five years old, pale as a ginger and down to the threads. We'd wet block it to try and make it work. The black cushion was a trampoline and the green cushion was going that way. The owner of bar/club wouldn't invest a penny and didn't understand the game one bit; idiot. It did help wet blocking that table.

But for this cloth I thought, it's only 6mths old, it was fitted well (I watched the chap do this to make sure lol) and still playing nicely, so maybe just a mist will be enough, i.e. no water droplets. Lo and behold it works a treat. I guess mist is somewhere in between what Geoff says and what Terry Griffiths says, so maybe it's a safe solution. I found it worked magic and the results are better than just a double iron but I guess it will depend on your cloth. If you're using a Hainsworth match cloth, the results will be less dramatic because that's a quick cloth to begin with. If you're using a precision cloth, you shouldbn't need to do it at all. If I had a Strachan club cloth, I'd wet block. lol
    Last edited by barrywhite; 20 January 2016, 05:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• markz
    replied
    Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
    I decided not to wet block but I did use a fine mister while covering up the cushions. This left a really fine film on the surface that ironed off first attempt. Then a second iron to get the cloth lovely and warm, no.9 on the dowsing for pure wool, as recommended by our fitter I have to say, it's the fastest table in our area now and as fast as a shaved 6811 Someone owns privately. Job done. Thankyou Terry Griffiths! ����
    Tempted to give it a go myself, I found out a fine mist spray last week but been putting off trying because of what Geoff said on the maintaining a table thread. I suppose my best bet would be to test it out on one of the tables as I wouldn't mind them being a little faster.

Leave a comment:

• barrywhite
    replied
    I decided not to wet block but I did use a fine mister while covering up the cushions. This left a really fine film on the surface that ironed off first attempt. Then a second iron to get the cloth lovely and warm, no.9 on the dowsing for pure wool, as recommended by our fitter. I have to say, it's the fastest table in our area now and as fast as a shaved 6811 Someone owns privately. Job done. Thankyou Terry Griffiths! ����
    Last edited by barrywhite; 20 January 2016, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• markz
    replied
    I started cleaning the four tables at my club, read a few threads on here and I'm sure I remember Geoff Large saying not to wet block these days.

Leave a comment:

• tomwalker147
    replied
    "only hitting 60's to win frames".... I already know of 4/5 people he'll be able to beat then! (lots of no hopers chucking their cash away at this aren't there!)

Not sure on the wet/dry argument, I always thought wetting the cloth was a no no but when I visited SWSA Terry Griffiths was doing exactly that. Hard to argue with Terry.

Leave a comment:

• barrywhite
    started a topic Wet or Dry?

Wet or Dry?

So me mate has decided to go to Q school in May. He's a bit below par these days, only hitting 60s to win frames, lol. Anyway, he's chosen to practice at one of my clubs. The match table has a 6811 TG fitted. I usually double brush, block and iron this table and he says that it's running nearly as fast as those skinny cloths at SWSA and Northern Snooker Centre.

A few years back, we had to contend with an horrendous table and to get anything out of the 3 yr old cloth, we'd wet block the table and then iron it twice. So it got me thinking, should I wet block and iron the current match table and if I do, can I get it running as fast as a skinny 6811? Does anyone have any experience of doing this? I'd like to get conditions as close to the qually tables he's going to have to play on in May. I feel a bit wary because this cloth is pretty new.

Cheers.
    Last edited by barrywhite; 20 January 2016, 11:08 AM.
Working...
X