Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philip in china
    replied
    Always good to look at your site, Geoff.

I was in Bulgaria for Chinese New Year and had a great time. The B & W is still playing far better than I ever shall.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Large
    replied
    I was not trying to spoil the sale , just pointing out that buying already dismantled table is risky as many a table fitter will tell you when they get the job of setting it back up .
    if anyone asks me for advice on selling a table I always say leave it up for any buyer to look it over
    and also 99% of set up tables are complete

just from experience of seeing this many times in 40 years of fitting tables

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Well with the type of people my friends are i assure you all the pieces will be there

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Large
    replied
    a few things about dismantled tables to be aware of .

it is harder to sell when dismantled as buyer has no chance of seeing if cushions bounce ok and is all parts are there , very often parts get mislaid by DIY dismantles , I have many horror stories of this trying to set tables up with missed parts not present .
    unless they are picking the table up themselves it will cost the same to send a firm to collect and load even if they do not have to dismantle , slates are easier to handle when you just have to slide them off a table onto a trolley dismantle only takes a couple of Billiards fitters an hour down to kit form .
    Riley imperials did not come with steel cushions and from the photo it is not clear if these are genuine steel cushions or those steel insert type that mimicked the slate insert Thurston Adamant cushion

a few tables i have set up that had been delivered already dismantles and just paying a fitter to assemble
    mixed up slates from another table
    odd slate mixed in from various tables
    main frame parts missing
    frame bolts missing
    one cushion missing !
    pocket plates missing
    bed cloth missing or torn when taking off

just some of things that have gone wrong when buying a table already dismantled and here is one recent one http://gclbilliards.com/set-up-orme-...-lincolnshire/

Regards

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Thanks for that info, great knowledge on here
    Yes they did say it's oak too

Leave a comment:

• 100-uper
    replied
    Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    Couple of my playing friends have a table for sale.
    It's badged as made by Henry A. Murton of Newcastle, it has Murton "Meteor" steel block cushions, match cloth, match balls, new pockets, and all the accessories. Pick up would need to be arranged by the buyer, and is located in Darlington, Co. Durham.
    Any offers ? and i'll pass them on to them for you to talk over.
    The table is a Riley "Imperial". The advert below is an example from the 1930's which they made in Oak and Mahogany. They seem to be quite highly rated, as pre-war tables go.

Murton did claim to make tables at one time, but they were out of this business by 1910 and were mainly involved with manufacturing rubber based waterproof products. They remained involved with billiards by supplying and fitting the "Meteor" cushions, which was probably where the Murton plate on this table came from. I'm pretty sure they had a commercial link with Burroughes & Watts in Newcastle, so if the cushions are steel block they will be made by them. Not sure if that makes it more desirable or not.

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Forgot to say the table is already in bits, so that will be cheaper for the buyer not having to pay for that

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    started a topic Full size table for sale

Full size table for sale

Couple of my playing friends have a table for sale.
    It's badged as made by Henry A. Murton of Newcastle, it has Murton "Meteor" steel block cushions, match cloth, match balls, new pockets, and all the accessories. Pick up would need to be arranged by the buyer, and is located in Darlington, Co. Durham.
    Any offers ? and i'll pass them on to them for you to talk over.
    Last edited by jrc750; 20 February 2016, 07:15 PM.
Working...
X