Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which template should I use?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which template should I use?

    Sorry to bring up the whole “pocket size” thing again but I’m really confused!

    I'm having my table refurbished at the end of the month but can’t decide to which way to go with the pockets?

    I’ve played quite a few times at The Star Academy in Sheffield. The 1st time was on a brand new cloth and although pretty tight, it was more than playable. Went back a couple of weeks later and played the same table and couldn’t believe the difference, it was like the pockets had shrunk or the balls were bigger! The difference between the brand new cloth and a slightly worm one was massive.

    This experience has put me off going too tight on my table because I can’t afford to recover the cushions too often and don’t want to end up with a table that's too tough once the cloth has worn a bit.

    What would be ideal is to end up with a table that once the cloth has worn a bit it, plays similar to the current TV tables with a new cloth. Is this even possible?

    The cloth being fitted is a Hainsworth Precision.

    Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

  • #2
    Which template should I use?

    a new cloth on bed and rails allows balls to sometimes slid in, that once they are older they won't.
    what has your fitter said to the question?
    Up the TSF!

    Comment


    • #3
      He’s willing to do whatever, he just told me to ask as many people as I can.
      I suppose it’s easier to take rubber off than put it back on if I get it wrong.
      I've been reading all the discussions about pocket sizes and no one seems to agree on the whole TV pocket template debate.
      I'm very surprised no one has a categorical answer?
      Not sure how close they are to the TV at The Star Academy but they are the tightest things I've ever played on.

      Comment


      • #4
        Exact same tables mate, same cut, the only difference is the tv tables are always perfect conditions, new balls, new cloths, heaters.....everything. although some tv tables play tighter than others for Watever reason

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cueless View Post
          Sorry to bring up the whole “pocket size” thing again but I’m really confused!

          I'm having my table refurbished at the end of the month but can’t decide to which way to go with the pockets?

          I’ve played quite a few times at The Star Academy in Sheffield. The 1st time was on a brand new cloth and although pretty tight, it was more than playable. Went back a couple of weeks later and played the same table and couldn’t believe the difference, it was like the pockets had shrunk or the balls were bigger! The difference between the brand new cloth and a slightly worm one was massive.

          This experience has put me off going too tight on my table because I can’t afford to recover the cushions too often and don’t want to end up with a table that's too tough once the cloth has worn a bit.

          What would be ideal is to end up with a table that once the cloth has worn a bit it, plays similar to the current TV tables with a new cloth. Is this even possible?

          The cloth being fitted is a Hainsworth Precision.

          Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
          I don't want to state the bleedin obvious but is there any chance your game could have been slightly off the second time?
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by frazz View Post
            Exact same tables mate, same cut, the only difference is the tv tables are always perfect conditions, new balls, new cloths, heaters.....everything. although some tv tables play tighter than others for Watever reason
            Well if that’s the case, I’m definitely not agreeing with people who think the pockets are big on TV.
            The week before Ronnie’s comeback in the Worlds a couple of years ago, I watched him and Ebdon play a best of 19 there and they couldn’t miss. They were on a table with an old cloth too which made it even more impressive.
            Me and a friend played a few after they left and the guy I was with, even though only a 50 break player, didn’t get a break above 20 in 10+ frames.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              I don't want to state the bleedin obvious but is there any chance your game could have been slightly off the second time?

              I'm no superstar but good enough to notice a massive difference.
              On the brand new cloth, the balls definitely slid in off the jaws but a couple of weeks later, no chance!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by frazz View Post
                Exact same tables mate, same cut, the only difference is the tv tables are always perfect conditions, new balls, new cloths, heaters.....everything. although some tv tables play tighter than others for Watever reason
                Good man Frazz, refreshing to see the snooker forum working correctly, where questions can be answered and opinions given,

                without a thread degenerating into verbal ping pong.

                Really appreciate guys like you , who have real life experience of snooker at the top level, giving advice to us mere mortals.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cueless View Post
                  Well if that’s the case, I’m definitely not agreeing with people who think the pockets are big on TV.
                  The week before Ronnie’s comeback in the Worlds a couple of years ago, I watched him and Ebdon play a best of 19 there and they couldn’t miss. They were on a table with an old cloth too which made it even more impressive.
                  Me and a friend played a few after they left and the guy I was with, even though only a 50 break player, didn’t get a break above 20 in 10+ frames.
                  That's a great insight for me into these tables , I have never played on one, really good post thanks Cueless.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    Originally posted by cueless View Post
                    Sorry to bring up the whole “pocket size” thing again but I’m really confused!

                    I'm having my table refurbished at the end of the month but can’t decide to which way to go with the pockets?

                    I’ve played quite a few times at The Star Academy in Sheffield. The 1st time was on a brand new cloth and although pretty tight, it was more than playable. Went back a couple of weeks later and played the same table and couldn’t believe the difference, it was like the pockets had shrunk or the balls were bigger! The difference between the brand new cloth and a slightly worm one was massive.

                    This experience has put me off going too tight on my table because I can’t afford to recover the cushions too often and don’t want to end up with a table that's too tough once the cloth has worn a bit.

                    What would be ideal is to end up with a table that once the cloth has worn a bit it, plays similar to the current TV tables with a new cloth. Is this even possible?

                    The cloth being fitted is a Hainsworth Precision.

                    Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
                    I don't want to state the bleedin obvious but is there any chance your game could have been slightly off the second time?
                    My thoughts exactly. Golf holes seem to shrink on my off days too!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cueless View Post
                      I'm no superstar but good enough to notice a massive difference.
                      On the brand new cloth, the balls definitely slid in off the jaws but a couple of weeks later, no chance!
                      That is exactly how i found them .

                      Had the pleasure of playing an ex-pro on a Star Table with a new cloth that hadn't been played on . They do slide at the beginning , but after a few weeks you need to be 100% accurate otherwise they won't go in .
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Might be worth while PMing Throtts, I'm sure he has his table set up to template, he is a decent player who will be able to tell you the different stages the cloths go through.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If u get it done to proper world snooker star template after a few weeks u will hardly be able to pot down the rails, balls hitting knuckles won't go in, I have a star table and got them opened a touch, there are a few pro's in Scotland that have star tables and most have them opened slightly as it's playable without a brand new cloth

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by frazz View Post
                            If u get it done to proper world snooker star template after a few weeks u will hardly be able to pot down the rails, balls hitting knuckles won't go in, I have a star table and got them opened a touch, there are a few pro's in Scotland that have star tables and most have them opened slightly as it's playable without a brand new cloth
                            What you talking about Frazz, an extra 1/16 th or an 1/8 th? What is template 3 1/3
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Mine was 82 mm which was tightest I had measured, got mine to 84/85 which is kinda standard but feels big after Wat it was.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X