Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK TV company looking for examples of Hyatt celluloid and ivory billiard balls in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK TV company looking for examples of Hyatt celluloid and ivory billiard balls in NYC

Hello everybody,

I wondered if any knowledgeable forum members might be able to help me. I work for a TV company based in the UK and we are travelling to NYC to carry out some filming for a documentary series. We plan to tell the story of the invention of celluloid as an ivory substitute.

I am looking for some original celluloid billiard balls (manufactured by Albany Billiard Ball Company and invented by John Wesley Hyatt) to use as a prop for filming. I am also looking for an ivory billiard ball for comparison.

Can anyone suggest where I could borrow these items in the NYC area? The early celluloid composite versions appear to be quite rare and of course the ivory versions are even more difficult to find. If anyone has any contacts or suggestions I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Emma

+44 (0)1752 727 565
    emma.fraser@twofour.co.uk

emma, you could also try contacting amsterdam billiards in manhatten, quite a knowledgeable crowed over there

Comment

100upper

Hi Peter this is the lady ( Emma ) who made inquiries to me , I have given her your email and number for contact as I think you may be able to help her with her research into the history of these balls
      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

maybe Thurston/Clare billiard/snooker museum may be able to help?
        http://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks all, j6uk - I will give Amsterdam Billiards a call. It's a nice pool hall and I was thinking of seeing whether we could do our filming there actually...

Geoff - thanks again for providing Peter's details.

DeanH - Yes I've talked with them already and they have been very helpful.

Emma

Comment

i was quite friendly with the team that was running the place a good few years back.. i will have a look to try and dig out some old contacts for you, and some names to drop

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              i was quite friendly with the team that was running the place a good few years back.. i will have a look to try and dig out some old contacts for you, and some names to drop
              That would be great, thank you!

Comment

pm me emma and i will dig out a few emails you can try

Comment

Emma, you will need over 10 posts (and a bit of patience) before you get the Private Messaging function
                  If you click on the member's name at the top of the post, you will see the option to Private Message.
                  Good luck with the venture, let us know when it is available to see
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

There is a collector in NYC who will definitely have ivory balls - the others I am not sure. if you need to speak to anyone before you hit the 10 posts email me i will pass it on. adr147@hotmail.com
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

You are better off asking this question on azbilliards.com.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                        Yep some very knowledgeable folk on there about the U.S side of cue sports( and others to be fair).
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                          pm me emma and i will dig out a few emails you can try
                          Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          Emma, you will need over 10 posts (and a bit of patience) before you get the Private Messaging function
                          If you click on the member's name at the top of the post, you will see the option to Private Message.
                          Good luck with the venture, let us know when it is available to see
                          Thanks for this info, j6uk you can contact me directly via email on emma.fraser@twofour.co.uk

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                          There is a collector in NYC who will definitely have ivory balls - the others I am not sure. if you need to speak to anyone before you hit the 10 posts email me i will pass it on. adr147@hotmail.com
                          I love to make contact with this collector if you would be happy to pass on my details? Sending you an email now.

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                          Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          Yep some very knowledgeable folk on there about the U.S side of cue sports( and others to be fair).
                          Thanks for the tip, I have already registered but still waiting for admin approval to post my request on there.

Comment

Be careful if you are taking ivory between states in US. It can be an offence.
                            王可

Comment

I notice that the Smithsonian claims to have one of the first billiard balls produced by John Hyatt in 1868. You might like to ask for access to this.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collec...ject/nmah_2947

Comment

Working...
                              X