Help! Moving a table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Moving a table?

The coming weekend, Simon Barker, from Sheffield, is coming over to our club in Strasbourg, France, to install a brand new silver-legged Riley Aristocrat table. Needless to say we're pretty excited about it!

However, we need to make room for this beauty, meaning we need to move our top table, a Matchroom, from its current position to 1,5-2m. We can't dismantle it, we just want to 'push it' to make room...now, the main question that arises is....how? Have you guys already done that type of job? What is the best way to proceed?
    We have small plates of wood on wheels that we use to move pool or 9-ball tables but for these, it is easier. For a snooker table though, I'm afraid their height wil be too much to play with.

Any ideas?
    Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Not advisable to move a 5 section slate bed table on wheels but I have seen it done
    this was on custom made jacks on wheels placed on the side frame , but also seen Car skates used too . http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/28223...1151662&crdt=0

I move american pool tables around on car wheel skates as they only have 4 legs and thick wood or steel frames in SAM type , you may want to try that but you will require 8 of them for 8 legs

always jack on side frame NEVER on the ends of the frame , jack between side legs and place each trolley under each leg , repeat to other side and you should have the table up on the wheels

as you place each trolley skate under each leg make sure they are in the direction of travel all pointing backwards from the way you want to go

you will have to get it re-leveled but any slate joint filler may have been disturbed so a re-stretch also to make sure the joints are OK after the move .

I do not recommend moving it that way but have seen it done but NOT BY ME
    the best way is full dismantle and re-erect

IF YOU HAVE LOOSE TURNED LEGS FROM MAIN BOLTED LEG BLOCK DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS as the legs will SNAP !
    i have seen that happen too .
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Thanks for the advices Geoff. I fully agree, it is certainly not the best solution, and the very last we envision but we don't have the budget to afford both the table and dismantle/re-erect the other...
      the 'jack on wheels' solution appears to be the least worst of them but simon and his crew will be there to assist and help re-level the table afterwards.
      so, according to you, always lift the frame by the side, one after the other, and not lifting one end?
      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

This is not a good idea!

I can just imagine the start of the newspapaer story- "A snooker club decided to move a snooker table in one piece, a coroner was told".

Really best of luck with it. I think I would be inclined to dismantle it all, which you could do, and get it reerected where you want it and just let the table fitters do the levelling etc. when they are there.
        王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
          This is not a good idea!

I can just imagine the start of the newspapaer story- "A snooker club decided to move a snooker table in one piece, a coroner was told".

Really best of luck with it. I think I would be inclined to dismantle it all, which you could do, and get it reerected where you want it and just let the table fitters do the levelling etc. when they are there.
          If they're gonna move it, they may as well level it as well. Levelling seems to be all about jacks and beer mats which is a lot less than they're going to do first. Hope the joints aren't ruined though.
          Last edited by Big Splash!; 15 November 2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Levelling is not the main concern to be honest. It's to move it without damaging the integrity of the table (joints, etc.).

Comment

Enbild used to move tables on hydraulically lift jack trolleys x 4

these where placed on the side frame between the legs but slightly closer to the centre legs

I have seen it done but they had larger wheels on the jacks .

as regards why we do not jack the end of the frame , it is because if the frame has mortise joints it lifts the end part upwards and this lifts the end slate up at each end
              and also pinch the slate joints together resulting in chipping out .

It all depends on the floor if you can successfully pull off a move with trolleys , the proper way is full dismantle and no one should recommend any other way
              if you have a wavy floor or carpet floor it may be very difficult to get the wheels to move correct

but having watched Enbild fitters in the 1980/90s move tables in a club that way they did pull it off without too much joint distortion
              so it can be done but NOT RECOMMENDED .

I used to move 6 american Brunswick tables on car type Wheel trolleys at Butlins Skegness as every November for many years they used the room for a month for a Dance floor area .
              then in December I used to wheel them back out re-level and re-cover them ,t his enabled me to attend to any slate joint distortion from the lifting up to place on the trolley.
              Last edited by Geoff Large; 15 November 2016, 05:33 PM.
              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Of course it is all the difference in the world watching guys who have done it many times before, and have all the correct equipment, and watching somebody doing it for the first time, with what equipment they can source.

As always it is good of you to share your experience, Geoff. As I have said to you before, if ever you do retire, you should write a book.
                王可

Comment

Down the road, we took the decision to add to the bill and let Simon's crew do the business for us. As you all mentionned, way too risky. The whole operation should be done by next Tuesday.

Comment

I think wisdom has probably prevailed.
                    王可

Comment

Little update to close this chapter.

Simon Barker, from Snookermania/Barker Billiards, came all the way from Sheffield to Strasbourg last week to install the new table. As agreed, he dismantled the Matchroom we have to reassemble it a bit further, with a new cloth, new pockets and nets. Then he proceeded to erect the Riley Aristocrat, with steel block cushions and tournament pockets. Both are now done and sporting a Strachan 6811.
                      Can't praise his enough to be honest. Great guy to deal with, very professional. We're all very happy with the result > http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...psayxj4guh.jpg

The new one is at the back while the Matchroom in the foreground. We have two other tables, not shown in this pic. With four tables, we will have more opportunities to host tournaments, which is a good news

Comment

Help! Moving a table?

Looks class... I need a new cloth

Comment

We all do.
                          王可

Comment

By the looks of that photo, that is not a Riley Aristocrat. Clearer pictures would clarify.

Comment

F51C3F4B-1FF0-40A3-89D6-3299835380B9.JPG

This is what a Riley Aristcrat looks like. Turned and fluted legs. Decorative arch spanning underside of frame.

Comment

Working...
                              X