Buy full size or 10ft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy full size or 10ft?

I've got a double garage that it 20ft 6in x 14ft 2in, I really want a full size table but I've read everywhere that you need a minimum of 22 x 16ft to play with a normal cue, however I came across a website showing minimum room sizes using different length cues, and I think I could get one in using a 48in cue for shots near the cushion.

What's the best thing to do, get a full size table and compromise on shots near the cushion or settle for 2nd best and get a 10ft table? I read on here somewhere that the difference in playing surface area between the 2 sizes of table is quite massive so really not sure what to go for.

It's such a shame I'm just a couple of feet out with the double garage, I'm tempted to demolish and look into getting a garden room big enough but would cost a fortune!

Thanks for any replies!

Your call, of course. I have had both sizes.

Pros on the 12' table are, well first of all it is a real sized table so you are playing on the real thing and nothing beats that. Also if you are buying used you will get far more choice at 12' and will pay less. Remember not all shots need the 5' clearance around the table and the ones that do can be taken with a shorter cue. It can work but it is, inevitably going to be cramped.

The pros on a 10' table are that you can use your cue for all the shots and it is possible to have a perfectly good game on a 10' table. They will take full sized balls with no problem.

I know what I would choose, but I am not you!
    王可

Comment

Originally Posted by Looter View Post
      I've got a double garage that it 20ft 6in x 14ft 2in, I really want a full size table but I've read everywhere that you need a minimum of 22 x 16ft to play with a normal cue, however I came across a website showing minimum room sizes using different length cues, and I think I could get one in using a 48in cue for shots near the cushion.

What's the best thing to do, get a full size table and compromise on shots near the cushion or settle for 2nd best and get a 10ft table? I read on here somewhere that the difference in playing surface area between the 2 sizes of table is quite massive so really not sure what to go for.

It's such a shame I'm just a couple of feet out with the double garage, I'm tempted to demolish and look into getting a garden room big enough but would cost a fortune!

Thanks for any replies!
      You won't enjoy using a short cue near the cushion. You won't enjoy the claustrophobic feel of a tight room either. Your room size sounds like a club I know where folk have to use a pool cue for cushion shots; ruins the game.

10ft may help but it's just not the same as playing a 12ft but at least you can cue properly.

You need a cue length of room + 2'' around all sides in truth, so you don't keep banging the walls. So, about 16ft x 22ft is right.

I'd go for the 10ft table if I had to choose in your situation. A game on a 10ft will be easier in terms of potting distances but harder in terms of angles presented and congestion. So it evens out. You'll still enjoy snooker on a 10ft table and you'll still be a better player on a 12ft table, after practicing on a 10ft.

Comment

Go 10ft

Your eye is lining up the shots and will adapt from a 10ft to a 12ft without problems

22ft by 16ft is required for a full size

20ft by 15ft for a 10ft so you may be a bit tight on a cushions shot on the sides with a 10ft

a 9ft would fit easy but you take away the extra foot and I think a 9ft may be too small for you if you are used to playing in clubs on a full size .

there are some rough 10fts about so look for a good one

Karnehm and Hillman is good as is a Riley Aristocrat
        also Riley sqaure legged table is not to be sniffed at you do not play on the legs an dthe cushions will be the same on a riley turned leg and a square leg
        the budget model was the Riley Regis

here is a 10ft Karnehm and Hillman I fitted into a clients home in Portugal last year . http://gclbilliards.com/just-got-bac...-table-fitted/
        as you can see from his room in his basement he had space for two full size tables down there , but found the 10ft advertised by a private seller on my web site and fancied that one .
        [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

BTW I think the statistic to which you alluded is that there is 44% more playing area on a 12' than on a 10'.

Good advice from Geoff, as always. Do you have any smaller tables available at present, Geoff?
          王可

Comment

I only advertise private sales on GCL billiards web site , preferring to keep out of table sales myself and just offer a relocation service as I am just too busy on the maintenance side of the Billiards industry , so yes there may be a few 6ft and 7ft diners plus 8ft 9ft and 10ft tbales around and advertised on my web site now and again all by Private sales direct from the seller .

just keep looking as I get people phoning me up all the time wishing to sell tables .
            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

This is a difficult one. If you had the length of the room at say 22 feet and the width at 14 feet 2inches as you do, I would say go for a full size and use short cues for the rare times that you are playing say a straight blue off it's spot when cue ball is near the pocket. But as you only have the 20 feet in length, as someone else has said it would feel claustrophobic. Yes you could fit a 10 foot table but if it was me, if I was to make for instance a 100 break, I would not feel it was a proper break because it's not been made on a proper full size table. I know what I would do. Spend the extra money and have the garage made wider and longer if possible or as you say, knock it down and build a room big enough. Yes, quite an expense and hassle but definitely worth it in the long run!

Comment

I have a friend who has a full size table in a room which is a foot small on the width...

It really does ruin the experience... A double garage will need insulating really well and that will cut down on the room even more... I'd go for the 10 foot table or a 9 ball or pool table.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  I have a friend who has a full size table in a room which is a foot small on the width...

It really does ruin the experience... A double garage will need insulating really well and that will cut down on the room even more... I'd go for the 10 foot table or a 9 ball or pool table.
                  By the time you have insulated, in a room that small, you also have to put up with humidity problems and then need a dehumidifier as well. It's not nice being in a small room with someone else, playing snooker, gets really stuffy. Even a room with 6ft all around can get stuffy on a long session.

Comment

Originally Posted by weezer View Post
                    This is a difficult one. If you had the length of the room at say 22 feet and the width at 14 feet 2inches as you do, I would say go for a full size and use short cues for the rare times that you are playing say a straight blue off it's spot when cue ball is near the pocket. But as you only have the 20 feet in length, as someone else has said it would feel claustrophobic. Yes you could fit a 10 foot table but if it was me, if I was to make for instance a 100 break, I would not feel it was a proper break because it's not been made on a proper full size table. I know what I would do. Spend the extra money and have the garage made wider and longer if possible or as you say, knock it down and build a room big enough. Yes, quite an expense and hassle but definitely worth it in the long run!
                    Weezer, playing regular with a pal who owns a "Tenner" I can assure you, achieving any sizable break on a ten foot table is not to be undervalued. The reduced playing area, using 15 reds, creates its own challenges.
                    Highest break to date? 1

Comment

I always enjoyed playing on my 10' table.
                      王可

Comment

It would have to be a full size or nothing for me I'm afraid!

Comment

Trouble is that in many cases that means nothing.
                          王可

Comment

For me insulation is key before you even think of putting any table in the garage whether that's 10ft or 12ft.

Without this your table just becomes an unplayable big Toy that doesn't work properly. Get the insulation done first, then measure your room and then see where you're at.

Comment

I have a lot of insulation on mine, being where I am. I would agree you have to be able to use the room. External insulation might be the way to go, with lots of internal in the roof.
                              王可

Comment

Working...
                              X