X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geoff Large
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    and the lights off when not required, for environmental reasons as well as those for the pocket

Unless they played snooker 24x7?
    :wink:
    I do not think the owner was too bothered about electricity bills , the house was sold for £5.5 million with very large outdoor heated swimming pool , I cannot divulge who has bought the house and did not require the table but he is a professional footballer and plays for a London club , the present owner was a very successful businessman with a string of race horses so again not too bothered about price of electricity bill .
    I think he liked to just look at the balls set up on the table appearance than look at a dust covered table .

The electric system was such that a computer controlled everything and if a bulb went it disrupted every thing in the house , for example the caretaker estate manger informed me it costs £200 to send for an electrician to replace a blown bulb and reset the PC .
    so very time bulb blows it costs £200 .
    hence why I left the lights there .

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    and the lights off when not required, for environmental reasons as well as those for the pocket

Unless they played snooker 24x7?
    :wink:

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    A table should be kept covered when not in use.

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
    Just look at this for cloth Bleaching , these are the BCE type lighting units http://gclbilliards.com/daylight-and...cloth-warning/
    Hmm but why was the fool having the lights on 24 hours a day ?

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
    Just look at this for cloth Bleaching , these are the BCE type lighting units http://gclbilliards.com/daylight-and...cloth-warning/
    That's incredible!

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    is this not the table lights being brighter in the middle, bleaching the cloth?
    I would have thought that but for three reasons. The other lad that does the tables doesn't leave the big strip down the middle. The cloths less than a year old and the lights are leds so shouldn't have the heat to bleach out a cloth. I played on the table on Sunday it was like Wembley , it genuinely looked like it had been ironed both ways the striping was that bad, it really put you off looking down the table and seeing eight different stripes ( or however many times an iron fits across the table) which all appeared to be a different colour lol, don't know how he did it but hats off to him in a way.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Large
    replied
    Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post

Leave a comment:

• Mellow Yellow
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Yep to be fair to the lad he does brush and block them, but he only does three tables a day and we have fifteen ( don't ask) . It's the middle third of the cloth, that is a different colour to the two outer thirds of the cloth. It's quite noticeable, I always thought it could be temperature of the iron but I dont know.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
    another thing not mentioned, after brushing give the table a good block to get the nap all uniform again on the table, go from D to black end only and iron last of all..

even just a good brushing and blocking of the table will remove 99% of the problems and stuff, an iron is just an added bonus to it for the end.
    Yep to be fair to the lad he does brush and block them, but he only does three tables a day and we have fifteen ( don't ask) . It's the middle third of the cloth, that is a different colour to the two outer thirds of the cloth. It's quite noticeable, I always thought it could be temperature of the iron but I dont know.

Leave a comment:

• andy carson
    replied
    another thing not mentioned, after brushing give the table a good block to get the nap all uniform again on the table, go from D to black end only and iron last of all..

even just a good brushing and blocking of the table will remove 99% of the problems and stuff, an iron is just an added bonus to it for the end.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Large
    replied
    Good possibility of warped plate if tram lines are more prominent to the edge of the iron, if used in line square to side cushion when using , hence why we turn the handle slightly to make iron slanted and the back edge and front edge do the work avoiding warped high spot of iron making less contact with cloth .
    too high a temperature can also cause tram lines .
    also rough edges to iron or pitted iron can cause streak marks in cloth .

if you iron regular like very 10 hours of use as recommended , you will of course cause tram lines , more so than someone who only irons once a week .
    it is unavoidable .

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Thank you very much Geoff, you have answered my question brilliantly, also another question I had about the tramlines, without me asking lol. The same lad that leaves the iron flat , leave tramlines on all the tables, it's awful looking, are these permanent? Sorry just reread your post, if he's leaving tramlines does that mean the plates warped already?
    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 20 April 2017, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Large
    replied
    Always stand the iron upright to let the heat get away from the thin plate , trapped it makes the plate distort , what looks like a 1/2 inch thick plate is actually less then 1/8ths thick it is scalloped out for heating element to sit in .

after use again stand on end to let it cool down

as a result in warped iron plates , we also recommend you angle the iron on the downward sweep of each length , thus allowing the front an back edges to do the ironing and not if sideways resulting in tram lines ,
    you will always get a tram line especially if you iron often as you should to keep the speed of the cloth up , but in warped irons it is more prominent if iron is square on to cushions .

some of you will question what I just said as nonsense , I too also dismissed it from the fitter who was teaching me 40 years ago , but after time I found out that this is good information as it does actually occur .

The only reason a thermostat was fitted is to make sure un-experienced people did not overheat the cloth
    irons left on for long lengths of time will over use the thermostat resulting in it giving up and when they blow they take the element out with them too on most occasions .
    i know a Snooker club that regularly blows there iron because they forget to switch them off when they start serving customers or the club gets too busy , mainly Bar staff blow them as they are expected to iron the tables in between other chores , if you had a designated table cleaner he would know not to leave it on .

therefore a timer plug adapter is another way to auto switch the iron off like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingavon-2...sAAOSwT6pVslku

or an egg boil bell alarm settable timer like this to remind you the iron is now ready http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Shap...J5_4X4Jjl0Kbnw

simple low cost gadgets that could save you from burning out a thermostat ,

or from a none thermostat iron burn onto cloth .

set to a time you experiment with until you find the setting which is best for you and your table.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
    It should be stood up, from what I have read, to avoid warping.
    Is it the plate on the iron that will warp? And why does that happen, if it's on a thermostat will it not just cut off?
    I'm only asking as there are two lads who do the tables at our club and I kind of got caught in the middle of a situation about the iron being stood up or laid flat, with one saying it will blow the thermostat of left lying flat and the other just ignoring him and lying it down and then asking me who's right , as if i would know lol,but I thought to myself I know Geoff will.

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    Yes, I have seen Geoff recommend that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X