Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamesg19851
    replied
    It should be stood up, from what I have read, to avoid warping.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Hi Geoff after a bit of advice to do with irons. Our club has one with the thermostat and a plate to rest it on with some type of padding or mat on the plate. if you are going to wander off and do something else should but leave the iron on should you stand it up or should it be laid flat on the plate or does it not really matter?
    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 20 April 2017, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Large
    replied
    Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
    I'm thinking about bidding on the iron with no thermostat. If I was to get this, would it be difficult to make sure it was the right temperature? Would a temperature probe be needed? I'm just worried about burning the cloth, thanks.
    like Phil says a bit of old billiard cloth the same as the one on your table is used to test for scorching , but you will after time and experience get used to the time the iron has to be on , you can set a egg chiming timer to warn you that the iron has been on for that period of time from cold , or a smaller amount of time for reheat .
    the good thing about none thermostat irons they rarely go wrong or burn out , the thermostat ones can blow at any time and in club use if forgotten about blow very often , then it is very expensive to send back get repaired and pay for return postage .
    Never leave an iron unattended or get distracted when plugged in , i have seen a farm house badly part burned down through someone leaving a Billiard iron on and left on a floor board upright , it heated up and burned its way through the floor boarding and started the fire .

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    Just keep a piece of scrap cloth and test it on that. You will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• jamesg19851
    replied
    I'm thinking about bidding on the iron with no thermostat. If I was to get this, would it be difficult to make sure it was the right temperature? Would a temperature probe be needed? I'm just worried about burning the cloth, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• jamesg19851
    replied
    @ Geoff Large

Thanks for that, yes a secondhand iron might be the best way forward from ebay. When I have saved up I'll get your advice on irons on ebay.

@ phillip in china

Thanks, that's reassuring that the cloth won't wear more quickly if it is not ironed. It's not as urgent as I thought to get an iron, but it will make a big difference.

@ Bigmeek

That's great thanks, that's the cheapest I've seen for a set of TC 3Gs.

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to getting some TCs when I'm paid next month. A secondhand iron will make a difference to our match table too and the 2 other tables in our home venue.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Large
    replied
    If you cannot afford the £200+ for a proper Dowsing Billiards iron and no second hand ones at decent prices are available on ebay as most gr for £80 to £120 second hand plus postage .
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOWSING-SN...9wGC6farEuQFvw

look at these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Sn...QAAOSwU8hY7Sc5 no thermostat and if left on could burn cloth if you are not experienced enough to realize .

these two old ones cleaned up and use a baby belling hot plate ring and heat up from outside as they http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Dowsings...YAAOSwU8hY5R1B

cleaned up this one is one to follow http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-S...oAAOSw03lY6qfx

one hour to go and at £60 , expect this to go for £80+ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dowsings-s...IAAOSw4CFY4BIC

although a lot smaller than a full size billiards iron and less weight how about this iron which I recommend for pool tables .
    OK the snooker table is a lot larger , but this iron is better than no iron and at only £29.99 on line inc delivery from Decathlon on line only .

http://gclbilliards.com/alternative-...t-just-29-99p/

this iron has a thermostat and is controllable , do not use domestic irons as the plate is not the correct shape , and on no account use a steam iron even if it is empty , I have seen saudden gusts of steam coming out of one hole from water residue in tank and this leaves a raised cloth streak that balls will not negotiate .

Leave a comment:

• Bigmeek
    replied
    Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
    Is there a huge difference between premier and champion. Like is it worth the extra in price or is having your own set good enough? Bare in mind it's just being played on your club table
    128ish grams for Premier Versus 141ish grams for TC's.
    PS Buy a set of 3g tolerance TC's from Craftsman Cues in Leeds for £110. Look after them and they'll last a long long time. Worst case scenario is you get a chip on one of the balls and need to replace it. I dropped my black on a concrete floor a few weeks ago and chipped it. Gutted. £10 for a new one from Thurstons in Liverpool.
    Last edited by Bigmeek; 11 April 2017, 09:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• the lone wolf
    replied
    Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    Agree - if you can always take your own set.
    +1
    And if that's not possible then get your own cue ball...

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
    Thanks, I think it gets regularly brushed. I was wondering though, if a cloth is not regularly ironed does it deteriorate and get slower and slower? Or can it be neglected for a few months and then when it is ironed will it be fine? I'm just trying to work out how urgent it is to get an iron.
    Failure to iron won't cause deterioration. The cloth won't play well, but it won't wear any more quickly than an ironed cloth.

If you use the search facility you will find loads of good information about ironing. You could, simply, use an ordinary domestic iron until the club gets a snooker iron. It is a bit more trouble but gives the same effect.

Leave a comment:

• ADR147
    replied
    Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    If you are not using Tournament Champion balls then you are not playing snooker in my opinion
    I hate to agree because there is so little profit in them but I think that is about right!

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Oh no! Don't tempt me!!! I've been spending too much recently on snooker and accessories haha
    If you are not using Tournament Champion balls then you are not playing snooker in my opinion

Leave a comment:

• thai_son22
    replied
    Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    Massive difference in weight, it's like a totally different game
    Oh no! Don't tempt me!!! I've been spending too much recently on snooker and accessories haha

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Is there a huge difference between premier and champion. Like is it worth the extra in price or is having your own set good enough? Bare in mind it's just being played on your club table
    Massive difference in weight, it's like a totally different game

Leave a comment:

• thai_son22
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X