• Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    World Snooker look after it for me. .
    Can I have one too?

Whoops, PLEASE

Comment

Thanks for your help guys

Ive seen a few nice B&W tables unfortunately they all seem to be sold or in not so good condition.

I will be contacting Geoff some time this week probably to get his advice on how I can get the table up on to 3rd floor

Comment

They pop up every week on eBay, I spent a few months looking out for something special and finally picked up a cracking old table.
        Few costs to consider like a new cloth, reblocking/rubbering if required and I also had the centre pocket plates set back an inch as they were bouncing out at pace.
        All in all I've spent £3100 inc installation and have a work of art which is also a dream to play on (steel blocked and match template/fall).
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Old cue collector --
        Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
        (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
          I can recommend Simon Barker as well, at Snookermania.
          You can find a very good second hand Riley Aristocrat (with steel block cushions and so on) for £3000-4000. Decent amount of money for such excellent tables.
          https://gclbilliards.com/correct-poc...er-bad-set-up/

My old table supplied by Simon Barker from snookermania. 3 words - FAKE, STAY AWAY!

Comment

Ive seen a B&W steel block table that I really like

Only problem is owner wants £3500 for it

Comment

So the table supplied wasn't a 2 bolt, but a 1 bolt which had been partially doctored. Then the fitters who set it up didn't do the job correctly.

A very poor state of affairs!
              王可

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                Agree Byrom , steel blocked B & W . Got one in our club , quality table .
                My Burroughes and Watts has steel blocks, 2 inch Welsh slate and a very heavy oak frame. At over 100 years old has been renovated and plays as well as any table. All in you could buy 2, have them re rubbered and covered and have plenty of change compared with the cost of a new table.

Comment

Originally Posted by Triedandtested
                  Originally Posted by 147_shark View Post
                  https://gclbilliards.com/correct-poc...er-bad-set-up/

My old table supplied by Simon Barker from snookermania. 3 words - FAKE, STAY AWAY!
                  My mate just recently had a Riley Aristocrat supplied & set up by Billiards Barn where the pocket openings were 3" & 1/8.
                  He's now having to pay out another £300 to another fitter to have opened correctly.

You would've thought when paying high end money from supposedly a top fitting firm you'd be satisfied. Unfortunately this is not always the case.
                  Yep been there done that. Billiards Barn supplied mine too. Search Gcl billiards for badly fitted snooker table and open up pockets in Blackburn. ......Geoff put it all right for me, top fella.

Comment

Star or Riley

Depends how serious a player you are as to what table you should get.

What is your standard? How much will you play?

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                      Depends how serious a player you are as to what table you should get.

What is your standard? How much will you play?
                      Will probably play every night.

Was at the club from 9pm till well after 3am last night

Comment

Will probably play every night.

Was at the club from 9pm till well after 3am last night
                        But what's your standard?

If you're not a regular century maker, I would advise against getting a table that's set up to tournament standard... It's a different game entirely and you'll simply get disheartened playing on such an unforgiving template.

You can get STAR tables for a lot less than 8k... It's a buyer's market for tables.

Comment

If you're not a regular century maker, I would advise against getting a table that's set up to tournament standard... It's a different game entirely and you'll simply get disheartened playing on such an unforgiving template.

You can get STAR tables for a lot less than 8k... It's a buyer's market for tables.
                          I emailed World Snooker Services yesterday to see if they've got any Star tables for sale, they've got a few starting from £4500 + VAT, 2 are ex-tournament and 2 are on behalf of customers.

Comment

Originally Posted by Looter View Post
                            I emailed World Snooker Services yesterday to see if they've got any Star tables for sale, they've got a few starting from £4500 + VAT, 2 are ex-tournament and 2 are on behalf of customers.
                            I was told from a table fitter not to buy the used tournament tables as they have been built and dismantled so many times and shipped all round the world and bartered about. I was also told they are poor quality compared to the aristocrat.

Comment

Originally Posted by Andrew watt View Post
                              I was told from a table fitter not to buy the used tournament tables as they have been built and dismantled so many times and shipped all round the world and bartered about. I was also told they are poor quality compared to the aristocrat.
                              Good job I saw the light today and decided against it then! Found out today that the Northern Snooker Centre in Leeds offers half price tables if you're practising solo, this includes the Star tables so I'll be paying them a visit.

Comment

No I don't make century breaks on a regular.

I wouldn't just buy any sub standard table - It has to go up to third floor and only time to take it up there is when the entire roof is off and being done up again and that too with a crane.

Comment

Working...
                                X