Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star or Riley

Hi guys

I am thinking of purchasing a snooker table for the home.

I was thinking of a tournament spec Star table but they seem to be in the region of £8000 which is much more than I wish to spend.

Is the Star table really worth what they are asking for them? Which do you prefer the Star or Riley tables

Which Rileys table is comparable to the Star tournament table?

Wheres the best place to purchase from?

Riley for quality in my opinion.

Couple of members on here sell tables .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Will look further into Rileys as I mainly looked into Star tables

Thanks Neil

Comment

Originally Posted by AmarZain View Post
        Will look further into Rileys as I mainly looked into Star tables

Thanks Neil
        I was playing on a star table before Christmas and it looked really good . Upon closer inspection the wood looked very cheap . The top rails didn't look cheap but the rest did .
        Somebody may correct me but I would say the wood used in the frame etc is low quality

Comment

Hi guys

I am thinking of purchasing a snooker table for the home.

I was thinking of a tournament spec Star table but they seem to be in the region of £8000 which is much more than I wish to spend.

Is the Star table really worth what they are asking for them? Which do you prefer the Star or Riley tables

Which Rileys table is comparable to the Star tournament table?

Wheres the best place to purchase from?
          My wildest dreams:snooker:

Do'nt forget upload few nice pictures here ,for snooker lovers .

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
            I was playing on a star table before Christmas and it looked really good . Upon closer inspection the wood looked very cheap . The top rails didn't look cheap but the rest did .
            Somebody may correct me but I would say the wood used in the frame etc is low quality
            Ive never physically seen a Star table so that valuable input. thank you

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
            My wildest dreams:snooker:

Do'nt forget upload few nice pictures here ,for snooker lovers .

Might be a good few months yet. Should have the architect come through today to make some amendments to plans and all being well if plans get accepted construction should be complete near xmas time (fingers crossed)

Comment

Ive never physically seen a Star table so that valuable input. thank you

Might be a good few months yet. Should have the architect come through today to make some amendments to plans and all being well if plans get accepted construction should be complete near xmas time (fingers crossed)
              It's gonna be the best xmas in your life ,my friend .
              that's for sure .

Comment

Table fitters on here have said that the frame materials of the Star are not-high quality and longevity has not been tested yet
                Riley tables (good quality old ones are everywhere) have passed the test of time
                Don't forget there are other makes of tables (like Karnehm and Hillman) that also have time-tested quality

have a look at Geoff Large's website (Geoff is on TSF)
                http://gclbilliards.com/category/for-sale/
                note he is not selling the tables himself but others are using his site to advertise, also on the site is many of his work and his truthful comments
                enjoy
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I can recommend Simon Barker as well, at Snookermania.
                  You can find a very good second hand Riley Aristocrat (with steel block cushions and so on) for £3000-4000. Decent amount of money for such excellent tables.
                  Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

I had the opportunity recently to try a brand new Star with new cloth, heated even. One guy got it privately. When you put your hand on top of cushion...you get a bit of that cheap plastic like feeling. I don't know...somehow those bridges when using rail don't feel as nice as on Riley. That's the first thing I noticed coming to Star straight from Riley Aristocrat. Playability I could not compare because our Riley's were on old cloth, while Star had brand new. Of course Star felt great with new cloth. I tried to remember how Riley Aristocrat felt with new cloth. Probably the same. But you know how new cloth feels...
                    The moment you adjust to it, it stops being new anymore...
                    To me, it's a not a difficult choice. Star table only if you're a very good touring pro and you need to replicate Main tour playing conditions as closely as possible.

Comment

I have a Riley aristocrat 1984 table. Quality is all I can say about it.

Comment

The riley is the better made table but with thinner slate - the star is prone to movement and uses cheaper materials but I agree with ace man on his assessment. Star tables are great to play on when new the cushions are responsive and its what everyone uses now.

Personally the table I would prefer myself however would be a steel blocked B & Watts or a Karman and Hillman steel blocked.

If you change the cushions and add heaters I think these types of tables are the best when re conditioned and also a lot cheaper.

Comment

Agree Byrom , steel blocked B & W . Got one in our club , quality table .
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                            Agree Byrom , steel blocked B & W . Got one in our club , quality table .
                            B & W refurb or K & Hillman with steels and heater - Yeah I seriously think you cannot beat them...Miles better slate better build altogether better tables - Star tables are nice to play on at first and they have nice little touches - good responsive cushions and God cloths and great heaters and a nice slide drawer for balls of course I would have one if I had a room where the temperature was constant but as with a lot of things from China they cut corners and you might not notice it at first - but they do have lesser quality of build and materials and I know they are prone to movement in changeable climates... Ask someone who has one if the plastic bits have not fallen off or they have not had to re level it which must be hard because I might be wrong but I think the frame comes in one bit I think. Levelling a normal table can be done differently. Any decent table fitter will give you their opinion so don't just ask us players.

The stars look great but its a bit of false beauty - great while it lasts - but its like going to bed with a woman with lots of make up on - you know one day its all gunna slide off and you wont recognise her in the morning.

Comment

Still have my Star, guys. No probs with it after 5 yr and no re level needed.

The gold lengths that slide in the side of the rails, the ones that have ""Star"" written on them do have movement if your trousers catch them but thats probably a mega easy fix. And the silly brown decor little square bits on the upper legs, they can move, but again, a easy fix.

World Snooker look after it for me. Sure one of the fitters told me, 4 yr back, that the Star table frame design has more slate support than a Riley table. But I never looked in to that.

Yes, a Star plays very nicely indeed.
                              JP Majestic
                              3/4
                              57"
                              17oz
                              9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                              X