X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    No that's fine Terry, I'll take your word for it.

I will have to found another solution!
    you paying the youngsters to do the brushing? :biggrin:

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    I have been told using a vacuum harms in 2 ways, the most important being it actually sucks up the nap and also it may pull up the stuff used in the slate joints.

I have gone into a club where they vacuum the tables and showed the owner what he was doing to his investment by pulling apart the vacuum cleaner and showing him what was in the vacuum bag. It was all green and all nap from the tables. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.
    No that's fine Terry, I'll take your word for it.

I will have to found another solution!

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    I have been told using a vacuum harms in 2 ways, the most important being it actually sucks up the nap and also it may pull up the stuff used in the slate joints.

I have gone into a club where they vacuum the tables and showed the owner what he was doing to his investment by pulling apart the vacuum cleaner and showing him what was in the vacuum bag. It was all green and all nap from the tables. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    We actually have the heavy duty Peradon fitted table covers which are superb; they are only fitted when the club shuts so cover the tables overnight.

I have personally completed brushing myself up to 3 times a week at times and this was not enough.

I have tried making the iron hotter and ironing the table 3 times prior to one session which worked reasonably but it doesn't seem like the answer really.

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    I put my nylon cover through the washing machine a couple of times a year.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
    We have had 2 opinions on this subject. They can be summed up as yes, and no. That's the internet for you.

The no opinion comes from Geoff Large, and that is enough for me! So keep brushing away, and see if you can arrange to get the tables covered. Just a piece of cotton, of a groundsheet is quite adequate although the covers designed for the job are scarcely expensive. You might have read about my recent problem. I was very glad that my cover was on when the roof started to leak.
    shockers did say that they do have covers but are not used that much.
    At the club I go to there are old heavy cloth flat covers screwed up underneath the tables that have not been used for years; I would not use them either as I am sure they a filthy and would be dustier than the tables
    At my previous club I arranged to get one of those heavy duty, fitted corner nylon(? not cotton) types that are light weight and very easy to use. The table there started to benefit with all players putting the cover on and maintaining the good brushing and ironing
    As you say, they are not that expensive

Leave a comment:

• markz
    replied
    I had the same problem at my club. If I left them for a week the build up of dust and chalk was terrible. Rather than hoover and risk any problems I started to clean twice a week and within no time the speed of the table was back to being quick.

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    We have had 2 opinions on this subject. They can be summed up as yes, and no. That's the internet for you.

The no opinion comes from Geoff Large, and that is enough for me! So keep brushing away, and see if you can arrange to get the tables covered. Just a piece of cotton, of a groundsheet is quite adequate although the covers designed for the job are scarcely expensive. You might have read about my recent problem. I was very glad that my cover was on when the roof started to leak.

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    I have heard that even a low pressure vacuums can lift the slate-joint compound, this will expose the joints and will have issues of balls not rolling over them cleanly.
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo.

Don't spoil it!

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    I have heard that even a low pressure vacuums can lift the slate-joint compound, this will expose the joints and will have issues of balls not rolling over them cleanly.

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    started a topic Dust on cloths

Dust on cloths

I'm in a club with 2 tables and they have always been good.

We have usually had quite a few of the team players brushing and ironing prior to practice sessions and matches but over the last couple of years we've lost a few for various reasons so the tables aren't cleaned as much as they could be.

The covers are normally off all day as they have been for the last 40 or so years but due to the lack of real brushing they have gotten slower. It's nothing to do with the cloths as we have tried using the same cloths as we have always had when the speed has been right and fitting newer ones; the reality is that not as many people put the effort in to keep them ironed and brushed.

On Sundays I get a crazy amount of dust out which proves the point.

And now to my point!!

I was told that hoovering the cloth would suck the old chalk laying on the slate back up into the cloth and you could also wear the cloth out so it was not advisable.

I have the cloths changed annually to a little wear is not an issue to me. If we hoover them as soon as they are changed (gently and with the right brush), I would have thought this would have the desired affect as I can get the steward etc to do this.

Does anyone else do this or have any experience of it?
Working...
X