No announcement yet.

Slow table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humidity in my snooker room is a bit higher than I would like, but I try to keep it down a bit with the AC unit.

I use 6811 on my table and it is a very satisfactory cloth. I need to change it, soon, and shall probably replace it with another 6811.

I do iron my cloth very frequently. That undoubtedly helps a lot. I have a brush it, block it, iron it ritual. I seldom miss out any of the thress stages as each serves a different purpose.

For ironing I have a Taiwanese made iron which I bought when I was still in China. I have been using that for several years, now, and it has always provided unimpeachable service. The thermostat is accurate and dependable. Before I got that I used a small domestic iron. It was adequate. The problems were that being so small it was a slow process. Also as it lacked weight I needed to press down hard to get a good effect. I had a long extension cord, so was able to iron wth the thing plugged in. Otherwise it would have been necessary to stop multiple times to reheat the iron. Certainly if you do not, yet, have a table iron, then a domestic iron is to be preferred over no ironing.

Have you just built your snooker room?Members with more knowledge of the building industry than I will probably correct me if I am wrong, but in my experience newly built rooms are often drying out for quite a period after construction. Obviously this has a knock on effect on relative humidity. You might be well advised to keep an eye on that. A hygrometer is a very cheap purchase. For the integrity of the building don't be tempted to dry it out too quickly by artificial means. Just let it settle down naturally.

The room looks excellent. Over time you will add a few things which will break up the basic austerity in appearance. Such things will also deaden the acoustics a bit. I see a cue under your table. A wall rack or two, as needed, would be a useful addition. I also have a framed copy of the rules of snooker. I got it framed to match the table.

Now just get in there and use it! I wish you many happy hours of playing.

Have
    王可

Comment

Djax, mine is a barn conversion. Outbuildingd seem to lend themselves to the purpose. They are good aren't they?
      王可

Comment

Thanks i do have a heater in there and a dehumidifier and air conditioning building was finished in april and table installed few weeks later. Humidity is 57 in there this morning and temp 20.does ironing really increase the speed alot.

Anyone near Nottinghamshire have an iron i could borrow. I cant really buy one till next month.and i still think the cloth will have to be changed

Comment

Just use a normal clothes iron until you can afford a table iron. Test it on a bit of cloth first to see that it isn't too hot.

Warning! Don't let your wife/GF/squaw see you ironing the table. She might realise that you can iron.
          王可

Comment

Haha. Should i use the iron with water in or no water

Comment

NO WATER!
              and ensure it has not scale in it
              and the heat plate has not scale and burn marks on it.

dry only and not that hot, starting low and going hotter; is better than starting high going low!
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

The one I used actually didn't have a steam facility. I rather fancy I was given it, for that reason. I left it with the table when I left China. Of course I brought the table iron out with me to use on my table here.
                王可

Comment

Originally Posted by Carl877 View Post
                  Thanks i do have a heater in there and a dehumidifier and air conditioning building was finished in april and table installed few weeks later. Humidity is 57 in there this morning and temp 20.does ironing really increase the speed alot.

Anyone near Nottinghamshire have an iron i could borrow. I cant really buy one till next month.and i still think the cloth will have to be changed

Look at it like this? You have spent a decent amount of cash already. For the sake of another £200, finish the project off correctly. And yes it does make a noticeable difference. Just look at curling and the way they smooth the pathway for the stone. It's always a pleasure getting down to break off, on a freshly ironed table.
                  Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                    Djax, mine is a barn conversion. Outbuildingd seem to lend themselves to the purpose. They are good aren't they?
                    Agree philip, barns tend to be large spaces with solid walls and importantly solid flooring. Good ceiling hight also, that allowed me to install a suspended ceiling incorporating the LED lighting. No light for me now to hit with the cue. Couple of drawbacks though? Barns are usually difficult to heat, have also had to plumb, for heating, toilet kitchen etc. Small point, I always have to lock up the house when using the table (wouldn't know if anyone has come) Finally, I don't think I use the table as much as I intended, with it not been in the house.
                    Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Yes, I always make sure the front of the house is secure ifb I am in the snooker room.
                      王可

Comment

Thanks curious about the humidity levels in yours. Ive got no problems heating it just controling the humidity.

Comment

It fluctuates. Last time I measured it, it was around 70% relative humidity.
                          王可

Comment

Originally Posted by Carl877 View Post
                            Thanks curious about the humidity levels in yours. Ive got no problems heating it just controling the humidity.
                            Like Philips, it's rarely static. Last winter with the dry air coming down from the North, humidity dropped as low as 35%. When we get the air coming from the Atlantic it can go up to 85% As I mentioned earlier, iron the table before using, that will take moisture out of the cloth. Only way to have total control over the rooms humidity, is to run air con full-time.
                            Highest break to date? 1

Comment

A point worth making is that you don't want to get the relative humidity too low. If you do you will start to get cracks appearing in your table and, possibly, other furniture in there. That is why I don't get the humidity too low and rely on a warm iron to keep the cloth at a reasonable speed.
                              王可

Comment

Just been in there now, 10.33 a.m. The RH was 72% and the temperature was 30. That is within the bounds of acceptable norms.
                                王可

Comment

Working...
                                X