Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star table not being used ......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    the starline is fugly! euww. but levelling system of the rasson should be superiour to anything.

    Comment


    • #17
      Star tables have always been poor quality, but benefitted from steel block cushions and a top quality cloth. In the modern world we live in you'd think they'd be a redesign that allows for greater ease of transport/deconstruction while simultaneously running truer than tables of previous generations.
      I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally Posted by 147Daniel View Post
        the starline is fugly! euww. but levelling system of the rasson should be superiour to anything.
        Why? What's different about the rasson levelling then? Just curious.....in any case the pros seem to not have issues with level on the stars afaik, more with the odd unpredictable big bounce off a cushion.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
          Why? What's different about the rasson levelling then? Just curious.....in any case the pros seem to not have issues with level on the stars afaik, more with the odd unpredictable big bounce off a cushion.
          There's a lad on youpube who showed that big bounces are caused by chalk on the cushion cloth. I wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it, but it was an opener.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally Posted by Woody001 View Post
            There's a lad on youpube who showed that big bounces are caused by chalk on the cushion cloth. I wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it, but it was an opener.
            seriously? this is the issue. alot of you have NEVER ever seen it , and ur flabbergasted by seeing it in 2018 its hilarious... that no one knew... I vacuum my cushions. and thereby i dont get big bounces.

            Comment


            • #21
              regarding the levellingscrews, the levellingpins are in each corner of every slate. Also near the middle of the slate I think. So instead of having to use small pieces of wood/or whatever, to adjust, the screws make it much quicker to just adjust a screwheight. But lets see how true it rolls on CoC..

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally Posted by Woody001 View Post
                There's a lad on youpube who showed that big bounces are caused by chalk on the cushion cloth. I wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it, but it was an opener.
                Epic fat finger!
                sigpicNo cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

                Comment


                • #23
                  I would be interested to see what Geoff has to say on that subject.

                  If your fitter levels slates by tapping in wooden wedges, get another fitter! Slates should be supported by muntins, not slivers of plywood.
                  王可

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    When Star started to paint their table legs gold, in order to cover the low quality timber now being used, we had a slew of members wanting to know how to paint their table legs- over real classy mahogany!

                    Then when the lights under the tables started we had a few who had to have lights under their tables.

                    How long will it be before we get enquiries about nailing black painted MDF onto a classic table?
                    王可

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Quick question.

                      Does anyone know how i can nail some black painted MDF onto my table...?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                        I would be interested to see what Geoff has to say on that subject.

                        If your fitter levels slates by tapping in wooden wedges, get another fitter! Slates should be supported by muntins, not slivers of plywood.
                        Actually mine used playing cards for final adjustments.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Old cue collector --
                        Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                        (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally Posted by Woody001 View Post
                          Quick question.

                          Does anyone know how i can nail some black painted MD
                          F onto my table...?
                          Ha heee!
                          sigpicNo cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                            When Star started to paint their table legs gold, in order to cover the low quality timber now being used, we had a slew of members wanting to know how to paint their table legs- over real classy mahogany!

                            Then when the lights under the tables started we had a few who had to have lights under their tables.

                            How long will it be before we get enquiries about nailing black painted MDF onto a classic table?
                            I guess there will always be dedicated followers of fashion alongside the traditionalists.

                            I remember a post from Geoff large about a table he used to maintain that was boarded in around the legs to use as as storage cupboard for the clubs cleaning kit. When they dismantled it one day it was covering up beautiful ornate Orme and son type legs!!
                            sigpicNo cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                              I guess there will always be dedicated followers of fashion alongside the traditionalists.

                              I remember a post from Geoff large about a table he used to maintain that was boarded in around the legs to use as as storage cupboard for the clubs cleaning kit. When they dismantled it one day it was covering up beautiful ornate Orme and son type legs!!
                              Yes that Club that had boxed in billiard table was Repton British Legion near Burton on trent .
                              you could not get a jack under the legs to level it ,. I used to have to crawl inside the cupboard to get at the frame and jack it up , the other fitter inserted the leveling shim disc under the leg and then shout right let it down .

                              as for leveling slates , a good table should have hand floated slates , good straight shot side rails for slates to rest on and be supported its entire length , and adjustable slate support muntins underneath the slate middle sections .

                              all these modern designs incorporating bolts that adjust on each edge of the slate is not new , it has been used on Sam K steel american pool tables for years , they are just copying this american pool design to level the table rather than the traditional shimming of leg with discs and card and maybe the odd playing card to sort out a bad slate joint on top of the frame and under the low edge of the slate joint .
                              This traditional design is a tried and trusted way of leveling tables , but at the end of the day it is all down to how sturdy the frame is the materials used to make that frame , and the accuracy of the HAND FLOATED slates when it left production
                              the adjustable slate muntins is a good design and stops slate sagging .

                              I would not read too much into adjustable bolts on each corner of each slate as a good thing , in my opinion in time it may even cause a problem with slate not being supported but only at the point of a bolt .
                              the more you take that slate off the frame you are resting on the points of bolts or even small round pads just like the Sam k steel table is , this is not good for the slate and can cause cracking in time .

                              I have lost count how many Sam k steel table s have had damaged slates when stripped down because they are resting on bolts heads rather than a long support like a frame side the entire length .

                              one bad thing has happened over the years , you cannot get slate as good as Welsh slate , that slate is not used on modern table anymore , price is the main issue and labour rates , where ever you can get slate out of the ground and formed into snooker slate at the lowest cost is the place they will use , how they can charge up to £13000 for a table with inferior chinsee slate is beyond me .

                              that place is China , and there slate is not good .

                              the best table for the modern game is a new table for the modern pockets and game , but using old Welsh slate .

                              or any old table with a new set of modern steel cushions .
                              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                How much does slate actually sag Geoff? I have an early 1900s table with 2 1/4 inch slates and the baulk end slate runs in from both sides quite a lot (a dead weighted up either cushion would drift over an inch at a guess), but the rest are true. Iím guessing itís sagging, off course it could just be out of true over the years!
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Old cue collector --
                                Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                                (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X