Star table not being used ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
    I actually kind of like it in the arena setup.

I wouldn’t want it at home, but it looks okay in a large arena.
    Having got home and watching on TV , I have to say that the overall impact of the new table is very positive. It looks pretty good on a TV set and seems to be playing ok.

Quite exited as this could be really good for snooker. I think the look could appeal more to a new global generation of players instead of just Chinese or English.
    βšͺ πŸ”΄πŸŸ‘πŸŸ’πŸŸ€πŸ”΅πŸ’—βš«πŸ•³οΈπŸ˜Ž

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
      Having got home and watching on TV , I have to say that the overall impact of the new table is very positive. It looks pretty good on a TV set and seems to be playing ok.

Quite exited as this could be really good for snooker. I think the look could appeal more to a new global generation of players instead of just Chinese or English.
      I agree, I think it looks modern and isn’t a bad a thing for the pro game.

Comment

For some reason I see different pics from the top of page 4 on laptop and phone.

When I posted from laptop, I had seen a pic of the table being built\erected and seen it in tv. From phone later there were 3 completed pics, which explained comments re leather and the under table rack thing.

For people who see those 3 completed pics, does one, or 2 pics looks better? If so which?

I'll PM someone neutral with my opinion.

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
          Anyway...
          Personally I'd like to see WS invite multiple table manufacturers to provide tables for the main and challenge tours rather than keeping the contact exclusive. They should be able to pull in more $$$ and the game would be going in the direction of tennis with multiple playing surfaces - providing they meet WS standards.
          Are you advocating different cloth conditions re clay, grass etc? My gut instinct is w.t.f, but then after a few nano-seconds The olde Crystallite on a heavy cloth with a real nap would be

Was that blue light under the table this afternoon?

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
            Are you advocating different cloth conditions re clay, grass etc? My gut instinct is w.t.f, but then after a few nano-seconds The olde Crystallite on a heavy cloth with a real nap would be

Was that blue light under the table this afternoon?
            Yes blue light was on this afternoon, but not as visible due to natural daylight.
            I wouldn't advocate a huge difference between cloths, tables etc...
            However I think there is mileage from using different brands which would present new challenges for the players.
            Golf players deal with this all the time, so why not snooker?
            "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
            National Snooker Expo
            25-27 October 2019
            http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
              Yes blue light was on this afternoon, but not as visible due to natural daylight.
              I wouldn't advocate a huge difference between cloths, tables etc...
              However I think there is mileage from using different brands which would present new challenges for the players.
              Golf players deal with this all the time, so why not snooker?
              The only natural light was from my window? lol

Surely the template re pockets has to stay the same, and there was enough "these pockets are huge" last week? I watched a whack of it, and they did seem to be rather accommodating. So what is left re variety, when they should have been the same? ie if cloth, balls and templates are the same then can the Augusta vs Links difference be created?

I'm still confused by the 1 construction pic on laptop vs 3 finished on phone...

Bazza should be able to negotiate a deal of a cut per table sold as opposed to take a whack from a particular supplier and use them all that sign his deal. I understand why people like the legs on this table and the monochrome look, although I hate it. But different colours and styles of legs etc may help the sales of tables?

It could generate some press etc re Pro's refusing to play on certain clothes, weight of balls - and there is no such thing as bad publicity....

I have gone from my GΒ£ to club ping pong balls to go back to playing in the weekly Comp, and it's a mare.

Comment

In gustibus non est disputandum.
                王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                  In gustibus non est disputandum.
                  There's no accounting for it old chap. ; )

Comment

When i was a kid playing snooker I didn't care what the table looked like. I didn't really like the dark mahogany and bulbous turned legs at that age as it looked very "old fashioned" but snooker was so popular then it wasn't an issue to me. When BCE made this version of the Westbury (I think?) in light oak I absolutely loved it at that time, it looked more modern and brought things up to date.

I hope this new Rasson table will do the same and catch peoples eye who may not normally be interested in snooker just because its quite different and a big step away from the "antique" look of snooker tables of old (Which most of us lot love : )

If you think about fashion conscious kids, how can you expect them to want to play a sport/game on an antique....

What were your design thoughts on this table Blah?

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Cue crafty; 6 November 2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

As it’s the 50th anniversary next year of the first World Championship of the modern era of snooker in 1969 it would be an interesting experiment if World Snooker could set up a table as used in the final that year (which happened to be a Riley Burwat Starline!) in the Winter Gardens at Sheffield.

It should be fitted with heavy napped 36 oz cloth, 1969 templates used for pocket openings & a set of Crystalite balls.

No steel block cushions or table heaters of course.

For extra authenticity the Winter Gardens could be filled with clouds of cigarette smoke!!

Let’s see how modern players manage in those conditions?

Could anyone make a 100 break?

Could anyone screw the white ball back the length of the table as John Spencer could using a 15oz cue held together with a nail driven through the butt!

It would certainly be different from Star or Rasson tables!

Comment

Originally Posted by Marketman View Post
                        As it’s the 50th anniversary next year of the first World Championship of the modern era of snooker in 1969 it would be an interesting experiment if World Snooker could set up a table as used in the final that year (which happened to be a Riley Burwat Starline!) in the Winter Gardens at Sheffield.

It should be fitted with heavy napped 36 oz cloth, 1969 templates used for pocket openings & a set of Crystalite balls.

No steel block cushions or table heaters of course.

For extra authenticity the Winter Gardens could be filled with clouds of cigarette smoke!!

Let’s see how modern players manage in those conditions?

Could anyone make a 100 break?

Could anyone screw the white ball back the length of the table as John Spencer could using a 15oz cue held together with a nail driven through the butt!

It would certainly be different from Star or Rasson tables!
                        Ray Reardon once said the Riley Starline was the worst table that he had ever played on. I think most of the 40+ yr old pro's still playing top class snooker could make a ton still on that old dog because they grew up playing on all sorts of rubbish.

When I used to play at a club where Stuart Bingham once practised, one of the local top league players wanted to take him on in a match (partly in jest, bravado probably hoping to experience playing on Stuarts Star table) Bingo responded yeh sure but i'll play you on table 5 ( old club table) and not the Star table that belonged him. He knew that pockets where friendlier and he would score easily whilst also keeping the amateur off of his pride and joy! lol.

Comment

i havent got itv4 so found some youtube footage.. That is not 80mm pockets. no way in hell. the cut looks different too. The balls goin in the way they did, made it look like old riley aristocrats with a friendly cut. for me this table seems to play easier than anything i even saw in the International.

Comment

Originally Posted by 147Daniel View Post
                            i havent got itv4 so found some youtube footage.. That is not 80mm pockets. no way in hell. the cut looks different too. The balls goin in the way they did, made it look like old riley aristocrats with a friendly cut. for me this table seems to play easier than anything i even saw in the International.
                            Watch online:- https://www.itv.com/hub/itv4 Have to give an email address, thats all.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                              If you think about fashion conscious kids, how can you expect them to want to play a sport/game on an antique....

What were your design thoughts on this table Blah?
                              Style is permanent, fashion is temporary :wink:

Looks OK, but would clash with the silver carpet, lol.

Comment

erhm... im in denmark. ip ?

Comment

Working...
                                X