Room dimensions-just!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room dimensions-just!

Hi there this is my first of (I hope) many posts. I am having a pool/snooker table made for me here in France. The dimensions of which are slightly different to British ones eg the playing area of their "9 foot" table is 2540mm long as opposed to about 2740 on a British table. With the length of my room being what it is, this leaves me pretty much exactly 1450mm/57 inches around the cusions at the top and bottom of the table-so the same length as a 57"/1.45m length cue (no problems on the sides of the table). So the question is what would you do? Would you get the bigger table knowing that you might be squashed in a bit from time to time when the ball is on the top and bottom cussions or would you get the smaller table which is 300mm (1 foot) shorter?

I think that for snooker the longer table has to be more desirable but at what cost...

Thanks for your advice in advance

So, are you asking if you should get a table 1 foot shorter with plenty of room or a table full size and mayby have one or two shots with not enough room to cue.

I would say buy the smaller table. If it is a full size Snooker table, then an 11 foot length. I do not think you can buy a 5 foot width. I'd rather do that than a 12 foot Snooker table and then having some shots when you can't cue properly.

For a pool table, American Pool one then a 8 or 81/2 foot length. The width is normally 41/2foot.

So, your table is 9 foot long? How wide? And what sort of table?

Comment

id get a table that fits the room, if its the best possible situation you can get....ie no bigger rooms available

getting a table thats too big, or only just fits will mean you wont be able to "walk into" any shots that are on or very close to the cushion

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Just to confirm:

My room size is 5.43m X 4.41m (17' 5" X 14' 5")

As far as the cushion to cushion measurements go:

A French "8 foot" table measures 2.24m X 1.12m (7' 4" X 3'8")
        A French "9 foot" table measures 2.54m X 1.27m (8' 4" X 4' 2")

So the "8 foot" table fits easily with 5' 3" (63 inches) at one end and at the other end there is a bay type window , just wider than the table width, which gives me an extra 8 inches so 5' 11" (71 inches)" this end. At the sides there is 5' 5" (65 inches).

The "9 foot" table has 4' 9" (57 inches) at one end but has a bay type window at the other end, just wider than the table width, which gives me an extra 8 inches so 65" this end. On the sides with this table I would have 5' 2" (62 inches).

So with the bigger table my problem apparently lies if ever the cue ball rests on the cushion at the end with 57" space. Couldn't I use a 52" cue on the odd occasion this happens?

OK that's all the (slightly indegestible) details, thanks for your further comments? I'll get the smaller table if I have to but I think snooker won't be a lot of fun on this (please look carefully at how small the "8 foot" table is ie actually only 7' 4" by 3' 8").

Cheers
        Driller
        Last edited by Driller; 21 December 2007, 09:22 PM.

Comment

ps the table in question is this French table but the billiard/snooker table version:

Comment

I'd get a bigger room!

Comment

Hi Driller

Originally Posted by Driller View Post
              Thanks for the replies guys. Just to confirm:

So with the bigger table my problem apparently lies if ever the cue ball rests on the cushion at the end with 57" space. Couldn't I use a 52" cue on the odd occasion this happens?

OK that's all the (slightly indegestible) details, thanks for your further comments? I'll get the smaller table if I have to but I think snooker won't be a lot of fun on this (please look carefully at how small the "8 foot" table is ie actually only 7' 4" by 3' 8").

Cheers
              Driller
              If that is your only question in that post, then you could use a 52'' cue, but as Sem said, can you walk into your shot? But actually, it does not really matter, you could use a 52'' cue, it really depends on your room.

Sometimes, Snooker isn't as fun on a small table than a big table, but you can get smaller balls and you could play with only 10 reds.

It depends on your room and what you think, how often are you going to play Snooker?

Is your table a Carom table and the corners to add in when you want to play carom? Is it a pool table as well because Carom is popular in France and I was wondering what table it was, it looks nice too, has it got a slate bed? My question seems a bit long, really, what sort is it?

Also, arn't carom tables 10 foot?

Cheers,
              bongo

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
                If that is your only question in that post, then you could use a 52'' cue, but as Sem said, can you walk into your shot? But actually, it does not really matter, you could use a 52'' cue, it really depends on your room.
                Well this is what I think. For the few times the cue ball is up against the cushion at this end, a 52" cue will get me out of trouble.

Sometimes, Snooker isn't as fun on a small table than a big table, but you can get smaller balls and you could play with only 10 reds. It depends on your room and what you think, how often are you going to play Snooker?
                Again this is what I think. Specifically, on the smaller table I feel the black is really going to be squashed in behind the reds and to play positional shots around the black is going to be annoying. It's true that I will be playing pool much more regularly than snooker but all the same I'd like a decent game of snooker. It's just that I haven't played for a while and I'm not going to find another snooker table of this size in France to see if it's feasable. Anyway I will be playing on a reduced set of 10 reds, but full size balls (52mm).

Is your table a Carom table and the corners to add in when you want to play carom? Is it a pool table as well because Carom is popular in France and I was wondering what table it was, it looks nice too, has it got a slate bed? My question seems a bit long, really, what sort is it?

Also, arn't carom tables 10 foot?

Cheers,
                bongo
                No, I'm not going to have a changeable table-I HATE carom! Just snooker/pool. I know in the picture it's a carom table but I couldn't find a picture of a snooker/pool version. It's from these guys: www.eurobillard.fr and is made by hand from oak in France. It has three slates of 30mm. The other great thing is that it has a METAL chassis on the inside which the wooden frame is mounted on, so it can never go out of true. The price is about £3500.00 if that gives you an idea.

Thanks for tthe continuing discussion Bongo, it's interesting what table do you have?

Comment

You have found a nice table there, and I like discussions like this. The table I have is a BCE table, wooden bed so it is not brilliant. It is one that folds up, so not brilliant quality. Its a Snooker and Pool table, its in my garage, not ideal but alright. I wish I could have a full size Snooker or Pool table!

I have attached a picture of mine,

Small picture, but if you go to bce-uk.com, then bce rock solid tables catologue then you should find it, and a bigger picture.

It is better than nothing!

6 foot by 3 foot.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by bongo; 22 December 2007, 02:37 PM. Reason: Adding to Post

Comment

You have found a nice table there, and I like discussions like this. The table I have is a BCE table, wooden bed so it is not brilliant. It is one that folds up, so not brilliant quality. Its a Snooker and Pool table, its in my garage, not ideal but alright. I wish I could have a full size Snooker or Pool table!

I have attached a picture of mine,

Small picture, but if you go to bce-uk.com, then bce rock solid tables catologue then you should find it, and a bigger picture.

It is better than nothing!

6 foot by 3 foot.
                    Hey as you you said it's better than nowt, I started on a 6' table too-loads of fun! I've decided to get the smaller table and just play pool-it's all about the fun
                    Merry Xmas

Comment

Hi 'Driller', what sort of table size do you have/going to get. Have you decided yet?

Sorry for the later reply!

Comment

Hi Bongo, the inside dimensions (ie the playing area) are 2240mm by 1120mm or about 7'4" by 3'7". External dimensions are 2530mm by 1410mm or 8'4" by 4'7".

Comment

Working...
                        X