No announcement yet.

Table maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand why you would get a build up of dust/dirt down the black end, are you not meant to do a final brush into the pockets to remove this.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Slightly changing the subject. I use a table brush on my 12' table but still have a paintbrush on hand. I find that very useful for getting under the cushions and raking the dirt out from there. It is surprising how much you can find. I know the nose of the table brush does this but it doesn't do it as well as a paint brush.

I suppose chalk builds up around the black because that is where most play happens. Several times when I have achieved a 147 (and each time I have made a 155) I have not really had the cue ball beyond the blue spot until I taking the first 3 colours. Also build up is because that is the direction in which we brush. I tend to dump the build up of dust out of the centre pockets as I go past.

I do wonder if we are concerning ourselves unnecessarily here. With a sensible regime of brushing, blocking and ironing the cloth will wear out long before you need crampons to reach the bottom cushion.
      王可

Comment

• Nevermind. As they say old habits die hard and you cant teach an old dog new tricks! Sorry I'm not being funny I'm just struggling to enlighten people of my research so I thought I would throw in a couple of phrases before I bow out. Peace...
        Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
        https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

• On topic but change of track. Extension to Thread "Balls - An argument..."

The tables in our CIU club practically have divots in them through wear.
          An old table I once had in a club had some kind of resin filler applied to the joints and spot areas where damaged.

Again this "Table Fitter Guy" stated that the slate is indestructible and fillers were simple never used.
          They even tried to say the divots didn't exist. Feel them for yourself...
          I suggested a temporary solution of using some branded 'spots' NOT ideal but can stop the jumping blues and blacks until next covered. Can make it worse to but worth a try...

Anybody here that can provide a solution to worn out colour spots. Divots?
          Can they be filled like my old table, is so what product is used?

Many thanks.

Comment

• Never seen holes in slate from spotting balls, in 25 years of doing tables. Holes in cloth, yes, but never the slate. The joints are a different matter and can easily get chipped when moving a table, necessitating the use of filler. As Geoff has stated numerous times, two pack filler or plaster of Paris can be used. Solution to worn spots is to stretch cloth if it hasn't already been done or a fit a new cloth. If you watch how the referees spot the balls on TV, they gently place the ball adjacent to the spit then roll it gently onto spots. Who hasn't seen the numptys who dunk the ball down hard onto the spot, particularly when getting beat.

Comment

• Is there anything that can be done if the cloth does not get stretched? any other remedies that won't damage the cloth?
              I was told by said people the branded spots you can buy will 'damage' the cloth.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jigsaw333 View Post
                Is there anything that can be done if the cloth does not get stretched? any other remedies that won't damage the cloth?
                I was told by said people the branded spots you can buy will 'damage' the cloth.
                what are "branded spots"?

if you mean the glue backed plastic spots to protect the cloth from localised-over use, then yes the glue will collate dust and chalk and will not be good for the cloth in the long run, but if you have a high quality cloth then the localised ball action can cause the cloth to wear out quickly and have a hole at that spot.
                It is a balance between longevity of cloth (expensive to replace) and a spot that is easy/cheap to replace; and some say that the spots can cause the ball to jump(kick), but a hole at the spot will definitely affect the ball upon impact.
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Can you use a normal domestic iron?

Comment

• Because the balls have a tendency to roll of these adhesive spots, you tend to get punters banging the ball down onto the spot to try to stop it rolling off. You end up with exactly the result that the spot was meant to prevent. Put a sign up requesting players carefully spot the balls. Cloths have a finite lifespan, so it's either stretch if it's not already been stretched and there's nap left on cloth or replace.

Comment

• Thanks everyone,

Was just looking for a temporary solution until it is recovered. Plays great apart from that (and not being cleaned enough)
                      We'll just have to put up with it. On the blue spot there is one divot where it was when originally re-clothed and one where it is post stretching... It's about a year old.

They also use this white spot marker.

It gets everywhere... and is most pronounced on the green, brown, blue and especially black

It is as if it never dries out.

Is there a recommended brand for the spot marking product? One that does dry out?

Comment

• Originally Posted by jigsaw333 View Post
                        Thanks everyone,

Was just looking for a temporary solution until it is recovered. Plays great apart from that (and not being cleaned enough)
                        We'll just have to put up with it. On the blue spot there is one divot where it was when originally re-clothed and one where it is post stretching... It's about a year old.

They also use this white spot marker.

It gets everywhere... and is most pronounced on the green, brown, blue and especially black

Is there a recommended brand for the spot marking product? One that does dry out?
                        I have been using a Peardon Pencil but it brushes off way to easy. I came up with the solution this week. White China Pencil. Works perfect.
                        " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                        " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                        http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

• At the moment, the blue especially, will find the spot by itself.

Comment

• please read this thread about using Green office spots http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ht=green+spots

[QUOTE=Rifle;824967]
                            Originally Posted by jigsaw333 View Post
                            Thanks everyone,

They also use this white spot marker

Is there a recommended brand for the spot marking product? One that does dry out?[/QUOTE

Is this club called Billy Smart's? They sound like total clowns down your way. You are wasted in that place.
                            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

• Please give feedback about the table cleaning method I have shared. Cheers. DeanH and Shockerz!
                              Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                              https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

• Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
                                Please give feedback about the table cleaning method I have shared. Cheers. DeanH and Shockerz!
                                Certainly will, thanks.
                                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X