No announcement yet.

Table maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wrote a reply but it has disappeared!

I wanted to address the question of the poster asking if a domestic iron is OK. The answer is, yes. When I brought my snooker iron here, I then had to use a domestic iron on my 10' table in China and it worked fine. Just remember:

1. The domestic iron is much smaller, so does not contain as much heat as a snooker iron. So you will have to stop part way through and reheat it. On my 10' I could do it in 2 heats. A 12' is 44% more cloth so you might need 3 heats.

2. Being lighter you need to press down.

3. Be very careful on the temperature. I would, invariably, test it on a discarded piece of cloth of the same type as on the table before using it.

All of these problems are simple enough to work round as long as you have a certain amount of patience. If it is a choice between a domestic iron or nothing then you should use the domestic iron. The table will play better and more consistently.
    王可

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
      Certainly will, thanks.
      I'll be amazed if this doesn't leave you feeling the same. Remember to clean the balls too, and keep them clean. I use autoglym on the reds and colours and just wash the cueball with soapy water.
      Last edited by inevermissblue; 21 October 2016, 01:05 PM.
      Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
      https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

• Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
        I'll be amazed if this doesn't leave you feeling the same. Remember to clean the balls too, and keep them clean. I use autoglym on the reds and colours and just wash the cueball with soapy water.
        Will have to obtain a few of the items first but it'll be interesting
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• There is a shot that can be played on a decent pool table with just the cueball which demonstrates a good playing surface. If you place the cueball to the left of the baulkline. You can play the cueball onto the bottom cushion near to the right corner pocket with left hand side. This will of course bring the cueball back to you...however. When you play it with a little more pace, as it comes back to the baulk cushion, there is still enough spin left to create reverse spin from the baulk cushion. Sending it back towards the bottom right pocket!
          No matter how old or how poor the playing surface, this shot is also possible on Snooker tables cleaned by our method. This isn't a direct replacement to the regular cleaning practise. It is a treatment process only. Which needs not repeating until 2-3 months, dependant on table use.
          The club I have recently done this for cannot quite believe how much of a positive result this provided! It is quite literally like playing on a brand new cloth!
          Last edited by inevermissblue; 22 October 2016, 09:12 AM.
          Cheap and Cheerful! 😄

Comment

There is a shot that can be played on a decent pool table with just the cueball which demonstrates a good playing surface. If you place the cueball to the left of the baulkline. You can play the cueball onto the bottom cushion near to the right corner pocket with left hand side. This will of course bring the cueball back to you...however. When you play it with a little more pace, as it comes back to the baulk cushion, there is still enough spin left to create reverse spin from the baulk cushion. Sending it back towards the bottom right pocket!
            No matter how old or how poor the playing surface, this shot is also possible on Snooker tables cleaned by our method. This isn't a direct replacement to the regular cleaning practise. It is a treatment process only. Which needs not repeating until 2-3 months, dependant on table use.
            The club I have recently done this for cannot quite believe how much of a positive result this provided! It is quite literally like playing on a brand new cloth!
            Can I ask...What is the method you are using extra to clean the table ?
            H.b.142

Comment

• Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
              Can I ask...What is the method you are using extra to clean the table ?
              Pm sent mate.
              Cheap and Cheerful! 😄

Comment

• Can I ask as well? Why don't you just put a thread up, it could be stickied so we all know.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                  Can I ask as well? Why don't you just put a thread up, it could be stickied so we all know.
                  I could but things are often picked and pulled apart. So I'll just share this with those that are actually interested. You included. Will send to you when I get chance.
                  Cheap and Cheerful! 😄

Comment

I could but things are often picked and pulled apart. So I'll just share this with those that are actually interested. You included. Will send to you when I get chance.
                    Done a fair bit of thread reading since joining the forum, love the data supplied, but it is a shame there does seem to be a few "haters" involved with responses that seem pretty pointless. ( don't get me wrong I'm like a laugh but...) I might not want to buy a new cue every couple of months but I still like hearing about them and also items like this. Good stuff. Thanks.
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Been using one of those waxing irons on my pool table.

The cloth has come up with dark and light streaks (playing nice mind). It's been a few weeks of brushing/nap block/ ironing.

Does this suggest a burnt cloth?

Comment

• Table maintenance

Never heard the term "waxing" iron? Can you explain?
                        Could be too hot as you don't need very hot to iron the table cloth.
                        Light and dark? You are ironing from the baulk to to pack end and not joining both ways?
                        What cloth do you have, pool cloths can be mixed cloth more than snooker.
                        Last edited by DeanH; 22 October 2016, 09:17 PM.
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• The term Waxing iron is probably one of these small ski melt wax irons for using on small tables such as pool tables for £29.99 a little bit lower priced than a proper billiard iron but still better than nothing
                          they are thermostat controlled so fine the tight temperature for the cloth , some are 1005 wool others are part man made fibre which melt easy so a ,lower temperature is required .

you cna get them When in stock from Decathlon on line only not at the store https://www.decathlon.co.uk/waxing-iron-id_8319488.html

no good on a table over 7ft in my opinion so only recommended for a pool table or small home play slate bed billiard table .

A full size iron is always recommended but if you cannot afford one for your SMALL table then one of these will do if you press down a bit when using them as they are not heavy .
                          NO GOOD FOR LARGE TABLES
                          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

• Table maintenance

thanks Geoff for the info
                            dark/light lines? too hot/wrong direction/cloth material?
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Sorry I didn't explain it to great. It's nothing massive at all, but in certain light there does appear to be "streaks" of dark/faded cloth down the nap" Just wondering if ironing has caused this?
                              But if the iron was too hot, surely it would cause the same effect of the whole cloth not in streak's lol
                              Will too hot an iron cause this fading.

Before I had it I don't think it had been ironed. It's a supreme with what I think is a Strachan cloth.

I brought a waxing iron just to try out. Probably get a proper table iron next month.

I'll be replacing the cloth in the future, but just "ironing" out any faults in my maintence.
                              Last edited by nuts00; 22 October 2016, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• There are pretty well always lines on a cloth after it has been ironed. They don't make any difference to how it plays. Some people seem to get upset by them. THey don't worry me.
                                王可

Comment

Working...
                                X