New cloth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cloth

Was talking to a commitee member in local workies last night, he has been asked to get some quotes on renewing the cloth on the snooker table, As I have no idea could some of you more learned give me some ballpark figure to give him a guide price, its a working mans club so gets a bit of use so it would be club cloth, so probably looking at supply and fit in Cumbria.

TIA
    John.
    Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Contact either Geoff Large or Maryfield on here , they will be able to give you an idea.
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
      Contact either Geoff Large or Maryfield on here , they will be able to give you an idea.
      Thanks Neil, will PM Geoff have seen some of his posts but he's not very active.

Comment

if no joy, try his website
        https://gclbilliards.com/

let us know what you go for and how it goes

in my social club we have three tables that are now on a maintenance contract with Thurston.
        They came down, assessed the tables and they now come down regularly and have fixed up the tables and lighting very nicely than you
        Two have new rails, all new rests and telescopic half-butts (just like on TV )
        New lighting, much brighter and cherrier than the old coffins

I don't know the figures obviously but chatting with the manager (an old friend) we pay a monthly and when ever needed or scheduled, the work gets done; and as he said they always seem to do more then "paid for"
        Last edited by DeanH; 10 November 2019, 12:00 PM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks Dean, Have sent Geoff an email. Like the sound of your club, will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Our club got a new cloth last November from Alliance. Well when I say new, It was actually a 2nd hand used club cloth in good condition for ?250 fitted.

Would anybody recommend a 2nd hand used cloth? I personally don't think it's that great to be honest. They wanted ?400 for a new one

Opinions from peeps on here would be helpful
            Maximus Legend Plus : Ebony butt with Ovangkol front wedge and thick maple veneer : Premium ash shaft : Tip 9.45 mm Talisman Trinity Soft, length 58″, weight 18.4 oz, butt diameter 29.4 mm, balance 18″

Comment

They swap the cloths from the Star tables at our club onto normal tables . Makes economical sense .

Comment

Originally Posted by sk1nnym0nkey View Post
                Our club got a new cloth last November from Alliance. Well when I say new, It was actually a 2nd hand used club cloth in good condition for ?250 fitted.

Would anybody recommend a 2nd hand used cloth? I personally don't think it's that great to be honest. They wanted ?400 for a new one

Opinions from peeps on here would be helpful
                Was that ?400 for the cloth Sk1nny, or supplied and fitted.

Comment

Well Geoff came back via e mail a 400 mile round trip was a bit further thant he wanted to travel,But he has kindly given me a contact oop ere in the North west, Steve Wilkinson @ Northwest snooker services I think they are based in Lancaster so not far at all just a couple of juctions up the M6

Comment

Some older info from Geoff -

30th April 2010, 12:46 AM
                    I am with Ryanah147 on this one , there are only 3 or 4 Trade suppliers only in the UK and you are not trade so they will not supply , so you will have to go to a local company to have the work done who will also supply the items you require .
                    to give you a comparison to what the price from a company in the uk using skilled billiard fitter would charge is below.

there are some firms who charge less for their work but a fully skilled fitter is on a decent wage and is on par with an electrician or plumber , remember that when choosing a fitter ask if they have served a certain time being trained in the skill of a Billiards fitter especially the re rubbering part .

others charge less because they use lower priced cloth , sometimes the same brand but a lower priced option like 6811 club or even seconds which is stamped at the firm with the words SUBSTANDARD across the makers transfer .

Remember lower costs in this trade normally = substandard cloth , cheaper cloth , Chinese rubber , thin nets and leathers , cheaper Chinese ball rails . and last but not least a fitter who has not been trained in all aspects of the work .

Rerubber in uk made northern rubber = £285 average price -/+ £10
                    Recover 6811 tournament £365 -/+ £10
                    nets leathers fitted with rails useing top quality goods £120 . -/+ £10
                    Total £770 + vat £134.75 = Total £904.75p -/+ £30 to £50 depending on discounts .

If the firm can supply these same materials and have the services of a time served fitter for around the same price as the uk , then ordering materials from abroad with shipping costs and import costs at you’re end , and then having them fit them would prob work out the same , remember the VAT / Tax import duty is out of firms control , its the government who gets that . trying to order the goods direct may save a small amount but import duty at you’re end will still have to be paid .

You say you recently acquired the table , did you erect the table yourself ?

For getting the right people in south africa to do the work contact the African Billiards and snooker Federation they may be able to help in the recommendation of a few firms .

Geoff
                    Last edited by Cue crafty; 12 November 2019, 10:50 AM.
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

ouch was that really over 9 years ago - how time flies!
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Sorry about that Dean Lol!

If Sk1nny is talking about Strachan 6811 cloth then prices haven't changed much in all this time!? (was quoted ?400)
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Like everything it is largely down to the skill of the man doing the job. I for one would not want a "cheap" job, but a good one. Of course prices vary. A good independent fitter is probably the way to go.
                          王可

Comment

John, like most things the cost of the labour is what pushes the price up. You can probably buy a decent quality cloth for around 300GBP but the cost of fitting is the unknown bit. I’ve no idea what a professional table fitter charges but as a rough guess I’d say about the same as a carpenter or electrician. Guessing again I think a fitter could do a table in half a day.
                            At the club I play in I’ve heard a figure of 500 per table fully fitted get mentioned a few times.
                            So it all depends on what quality of cloth you’re fitting and whether it’s done by a professional table fitter or the local “handyman”.

Comment

Our fitter turned up at 10.30pm last night , the amount of gear that he carried up the stairs was amazing . And he put it right next to our table that me and my mate play on . So fingers crossed we will have a new cloth on it tonight .

Comment

Working...
                              X