New amateur programme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amateur programme

This looks a step in the right direction for the amateur game . Along with the EPSB’s new Pro Am series ( link included in this article ) things are setting to happen at last.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/16/sight...ture-14883205/

I've a funny feeling our club has signed up to this. Steve Feeny was up about five weeks ago iirc having a meeting.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

That's great news mate, hope it works well. This is a great game but it needs that shot in the arm for newer generations to get interested.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        That's great news mate, hope it works well. This is a great game but it needs that shot in the arm for newer generations to get interested.
        Pretty sure he promised the club a top amateur tournament will be held here once it all kicks off.

Comment

I met him a few weeks ago , very exciting plans and his enthusiasm is amazing . He doesn’t need to do it but he wants to put something back into the game , which I think is very admiral in this day and age .
          I wish him all the best in this endeavour.
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by Neil Taperell View Post
            I met him a few weeks ago , very exciting plans and his enthusiasm is amazing . He doesn’t need to do it but he wants to put something back into the game , which I think is very admiral in this day and age .
            I wish him all the best in this endeavour.
            I completely agree Neil .
            I fully expect there to be some negative response to this from some quarters but in my mind it’s better to do something than sit on the sidelines and do nothing and complain.

Did you have a meeting with him in the match room by any chance?
            Last edited by Starsky; 20 July 2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              I've a funny feeling our club has signed up to this. Steve Feeny was up about five weeks ago iirc having a meeting.
              Yep, seems he is doing the rounds and visiting the clubs where the tournaments will be held.
              I hope you’ve got your pen ready to sign up INE

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

I completely agree Neil .
                I fully expect there to be some negative response to this from some quarters but in my mind it’s better to do something than sit on the sidelines and do nothing and complain.

Did you have a meeting with him in the match room by any chance?
                It could possibly have been me

Comment

Originally Posted by Neil Taperell View Post

It could possibly have been me
                  I was playing in the club at the time and thought it might have been you but wasn’t 100% , I’ll introduce myself next time 😉

Comment

[QUOTE=Starsky;n1011693]

Yep, seems he is doing the rounds and visiting the clubs where the tournaments will be held.
                    I hope you
                    ill be playing, if I'm allowed, don't know if locals can enter, or is it some type of challenge tour and you have to be part of that.
                    i haven't got a clue what went wrong with that post.
                    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 20 July 2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I was playing in the club at the time and thought it might have been you but wasn’t 100% , I’ll introduce myself next time 😉
                      …….will be down in a few weeks trying to play again

Comment

[QUOTE=itsnoteasy;n1011719]

I hope you
                        ill be playing, if I'm allowed, don't know if locals can enter, or is it some type of challenge tour and you have to be part of that.
                        i haven't got a clue what went wrong with that post.
                        Not sure what the in and outs of it is at the moment but I’m sure we’ll find out in due course .

Comment

Just seems like it's more about Feeney pushing sight right and making himself a lot of money, rather than it be about the amateur and junior game.

The problem as I've said many times in the past is, snooker is an expensive sport, and getting even more expensive due to high rents for the buildings you need to house full size tables. Clubs closing and never returning, plus costs increasing post covid, good luck in keeping clubs afloat.

Riley's buying up loads of well run clubs 15-20 years ago and then running them into the ground, was the biggest damage though. That put off a lot of good players and many packed up. In my experience, when players pack up snooker, they rarely return.

The final problem is getting kids playing the game. I cannot remember in the last 2-3 years seeing any child under the age of 16 in clubs I've been to. Now, I'm not a regular player anymore, but simply going off what I see and others I talk to, it's a massive issue to get them interested. Most kids haven't the time or more importantly the mindset to play this sport.

Comment

I agree Cueman , don’t know what the answer is ,snooker is dead around my area ,when I played in the league for years we had 5 divisions and more clubs ,now there is only 3 leagues because there area not enough people playing and no decent proper clubs ,we have one club with four tables the rest are odd tables in social clubs etc. There are 27 tables in the Northern snooker club in Leeds and they have been going for years and are still doing well .I belive there is a place for this sport if we had decent clubs and conditions where serious players with an interest could go with out being in places with dick heads and cloth rippers .I would love to be able to open a small club with decent conditions ,but to find a place at the right price in this current climate is a lottery for a new business .

Comment

Agree about the clubs and conditions, however I did stumble across this academy in Norwich recently (link below) and it was a real eye opener, great tables and reasonable prices for this standard of quality. I like the use of industrial unit type buildings as well because I think they will attract the more serious players over the beer swilling cloth rippers. Don't get me wrong I like a beer or three, but well....you guys get it I'm sure.

https://g.co/kgs/9KukHF

I'm holidaying near here soon and taking my cue just in case of rainy days which look highly likely tbh. Be great to try this place out.
                              Last edited by Cue crafty; 3 August 2021, 10:10 AM.
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                              X