Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolutely chuffed to make highest break in my leagues history!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutely chuffed to make highest break in my leagues history!

Hi all, some of you will remember me from a few years back on here. To cut a long story short until a couple months prior to christmas I had not picked my cue up in nearly 2 years. The local snooker league season was starting and me now being a Dad of a 19 month old lad and seeing too much of the wife of an evening was looking for a night out each week. I was talked into signing for a team. Until last week I was rubbish whilst having some good results against some good players I was losing far too many frames to players I shouldn't be. I was seriously considering if I made a mistake returning to the game and questioning if I could cope with the fact I am playing nowhere near the standard I used to. With a young family practice time was not going to be readily available. Anyway I was so annoyed I ordered a brand new tip via ADR147 put it on the day of the match, had 10 minutes with it and struggled to make 20! I was thinking great I could lose to anyone now. I was first on for the team I proceeded to pot the opening long red in the game and make a 138 total clearance, this is the highest break recorded in the league's history (1 frame format) and I couldn't be happier to have made it. Funny old game but I guess the message is don't give up as the next big break/bit of form might only be 1 frame away.

Well done mate. 138 will take some beating. Suppose it depends on the strength and depth of the league, although this will spur everyone on to try and beat it. Creating more interest hopefully! I had a 127 in the private league in Stoke and it has held for coming up to 12 years or so. Many tons have been made, but not quite big enough to topple me. I'm sure it will go as it's not that high a break. Also one frame format.
    glad you posted this though, as I've always said it's not about how much you play, more about how you play and what you know. You're obviously a confident player, to allow yourself the opportunity. Most just don't trust themselves enough to achieve such things. Plus it's easy to blame it on the lack of table time.
    Well done mate. Chuffed for you!:snooker:
    Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
    https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Brilliant stuff , immense break . Well done .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

As they say "Form is temporary, class is permanent "

Well done .:snooker:
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Wow..
          I wish I could do that in practice, never mind a league! Terrific!

Comment

Thanks guys,reality check this week as balls went safe and couldn't make 30. Lost my frame on the black. I did win my indiviaul quater final Tuesday so in the semi final which is best of 7 agaisnt a very good player. Just nice to have the love for the game back.

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
              Well done mate. 138 will take some beating. Suppose it depends on the strength and depth of the league, although this will spur everyone on to try and beat it. Creating more interest hopefully! I had a 127 in the private league in Stoke and it has held for coming up to 12 years or so. Many tons have been made, but not quite big enough to topple me. I'm sure it will go as it's not that high a break. Also one frame format.
              glad you posted this though, as I've always said it's not about how much you play, more about how you play and what you know. You're obviously a confident player, to allow yourself the opportunity. Most just don't trust themselves enough to achieve such things. Plus it's easy to blame it on the lack of table time.
              Well done mate. Chuffed for you!:snooker:
              127 is awesome mate. Yeah it's a league where at least 1 100 is made each season with a good amount of 70 plus breaks. The previous high break this season was 101. To be honest with my break of 138 there are about 5 players capable of beating it but being a 1 frame format the planet's do kind of have to align and then they have to back themself should the balls split well etc. I personally can't see it going for a while.

Comment

I moved from stoke-on-trent to Shropshire a few years ago. I have played a few league games in the Whitchurch league this year. This season 2 centuries have already been made. 101 & 135. I'm lucky enough to be playing on a Star table for our home games (this is my main reason for playing league). I've had 50, 74 & 78 so far. This league has some great players and their enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air. One of my team mates has had a 143 a while ago. There have also been 147's made! Very high standard league indeed.
                Last edited by inevermissblue; 1 February 2020, 06:45 AM.
                Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
                  I moved from stoke-on-trent to Shropshire a few years ago. I have played a few league games in the Whitchurch league this year. This season 2 centuries have already been made. 101 & 135. I'm lucky enough to be playing on a Star table for our home games (this is my main reason for playing league). I've had 50, 74 & 78 so far. This league has some great players and their enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air. One of my team mates has had a 143 a while ago. There have also been 147's made! Very high standard league indeed.
                  One thing that will never cease to surprise me, many multiple 147 makers don't even factor in the professional ranks...

WHen push comes to shuv, it's about grit, determination , matchplay persona and "guts" to be a consistent winner. Judd has impressed me again recently this week, think he has grown up and understood this.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

One thing that will never cease to surprise me, many multiple 147 makers don't even factor in the professional ranks...

WHen push comes to shove, it's about grit, determination , matchplay persona and "guts" to be a consistent winner. Judd has impressed me again recently this week, think he has grown up and understood this.
                    It's because at the end of the day it's about how many you miss not what breaks you make. I take on one shot too many always have but it's how I like to play. As a result I could literally beat anyone over a best of 5 but equally lose to anyone. I would say that i've seen a lot of good amateurs over the years that have a better break building skill set than a lot of the journeyman pro's but don't have the match game and throw too many loose ones in. When these players work on being more solid the shackles usually takes away from their natural ability that make them dangerous so it's a bit of a catch 22.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post

It's because at the end of the day it's about how many you miss not what breaks you make. I take on one shot too many always have but it's how I like to play. As a result I could literally beat anyone over a best of 5 but equally lose to anyone. I would say that i've seen a lot of good amateurs over the years that have a better break building skill set than a lot of the journeyman pro's but don't have the match game and throw too many loose ones in. When these players work on being more solid the shackles usually takes away from their natural ability that make them dangerous so it's a bit of a catch 22.
                      Thats a great summary of why this happens and makes perfect sense to me. James Cahill i think is a great example of a player who can be impressive because of his ability to play a big match rather than his talent to break build and pot balls. Cheers.
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Dcrackers, great break mate. Any century in one frame format is some achievement, my 75 was overtaken by an 81 the other week but that's the highest for our league which does have some players who make century breaks, it's just that that 1 frame format is tough! Lots of 50 plus made but the likelihood of having the balls where you need them to make 80+ let alone a monster 138 clearance is slim!
                        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Thats a great summary of why this happens and makes perfect sense to me. James Cahill i think is a great example of a player who can be impressive because of his ability to play a big match rather than his talent to break build and pot balls. Cheers.
                          He's always felt his level was top drawer, should have seen him competing with us 'better players' when he was only 14 or so. Kid was frightening at times. A case of his cockiness being warranted.
                          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

He's always felt his level was top drawer, should have seen him competing with us 'better players' when he was only 14 or so. Kid was frightening at times. A case of his cockiness being warranted.
                            I remember you saying Tom, that he asked you if you fancied a game once a way back? The belief thing in snooker is massive! Hendry had complete belief in his ability and that confidence bolsters "Bottle". Its easy to say a player has great bottle, but I believe a great player has bottle due to his own self belief of his ability.

I hope the lad continues to believe and give us from more great battles to watch.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I remember you saying Tom, that he asked you if you fancied a game once a way back? The belief thing in snooker is massive! Hendry had complete belief in his ability and that confidence bolsters "Bottle". Its easy to say a player has great bottle, but I believe a great player has bottle due to his own self belief of his ability.

I hope the lad continues to believe and give us from more great battles to watch.
                              When you get to a certain level at any sport you build a routine / process that works for you and allows you to execute let your ability come through. I believe those that trust in their routine/process the most are the best in pressure situations. It's the psychological reassurance we all need in this strange game. It's the same with golf.

Comment

Working...
                              X