Ricky Walden Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Walden Interview

Hi Ricky, great to see that you are still on form in Shanghai and through to the second round against Stephen Hendry after a fantastic victory over Mark King that started off to look like to would go to the wire. Some of the players this year do not seem to be playing at their best do you think this is due to the traveling to the competition in Hanghai?

All players take a game or 2 to get used to the conditions in the far east. being the Opening game of the season has a big part to play with players having the added pressure of trying to get off to a good start. the heat and humidity and the time difference takes some getting used to also. The standard will definitely improve as the week goes on though and players gain confidence from winning & aclimatise to the conditions.

It has been reported in the press recently that you have taken up running which is great for your fitness, do you think that this helps when traveling long distances to play snooker?

Yes, i think it definitely helps. Everyone is different of course but for me it allows me to keep a clear mind and helps me keep my focus when i play.

Have you been able to go out running while you have been in Shanghai at all?

No I haven't. The humidity doesn't really allow you to run any great distance so I have been doing Gym sessions every couple of days.

You are up against Stephen Hendry in the second round which some people say will be an easy match considering his performance over the past 18 months put surely just playing a legend like Stephen must put extra pressure on you in the game?

The bottom line is Hendry is a legend in his own right. I played him 3 times last season. i won in Shanghai on the way to the title then he beat me in Bahrain & Beijing. He's still got it make no mistake about it but I relish playing him and cant wait for the game.

You are used to playing snooker in front of a crowd in the UK and indeed on the TV with on average 4 million viewers, does the fact that you would have 10 times that number of people watching ever effect your game when in China?

No, that is not something you really think about. Pressure comes from my own expectation. I always find the more people watching the better I play.

How are you dealing with the climate over there at the moment? I just checked online and temperatures are hitting 24 with the humidity of 63%

Its pretty tough at times but the venue is fully air con and that is important.

A little birdy tells me you are going to play golf tomorrow, when people talk about snooker players playing golf you always hear the same old names like Shaun Murphy who plays off of 4 and Mark Williams but your is not one I have heard before being associated with the game, what handicap do you play off of and who do you regularly play the game with?

I am a steady golfer, I used to play a lot when i was younger. Ive just started to play a lot more in the last 6 months. I play off around 18 but feel I could get to single figures with practise. I mainly play with my manager Lee Gorton who I consistently beat and to be quite honest with you I am looking for a better standard of player because beating him is becoming quite boring and he is a ginger toad. Neil Tomkins (my coach) plays with us but i usually take his dough too..

Have you managed to do any sight seeing while you have been over in Shanghai?

Not yet, I have been preparing for my 1st game but I intend to see some sights tomorrow either before or after Golf.

Who would be the worst possible choice from someone within the snooker world to be sat next to on a long haul flight?

Dave Harold because when it comes to cards he is the luckiest man on the planet and i will arrive at my destination skint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and his hands take up most of the plane!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think about the David Gilbert situation this year? The WPBSA re-wrote their own rules to allow the Liang Wenbo v David Gibert qualifying match to held in China because of Liang's problems with a Visa. David should of been automatically awarded a win, now the match has been played and Liang beating him 5-2 you got to feel for David having spent out on flights, hotels etc for something that firstly he should of won by default and should of happened in the UK.

As for the flights and hotels, World Snooker have paid them. I can fully understand why the chinese public want to see their top players play at the venue so for me it was the right decision but Gilbo should of been given the option i feel.

Have you signed up for The Snooker Players Association yet?

Nothing has been signed yet.

Do you think that The SPA will gather enough support to take over as the players association form The WPBSA?

All I know is that the players want more tournaments, I wouldn't like to say either way at this point which way it will go.

A few questions form members of TSF

Maija - Have you been practicing alot over the summer period?

Its been a mixed summer, ive been to Monte Carlo, LA and Vegas with my pals and then got muddy down in Glastonbury. I did 3 weeks in the far east which was as good as practise, I played in the General Cup losing to Liang in the Group but then beating him in the final. I lost to Jimmy in the 6 red in thailand and did not fare too well in Taiwan at the World Games but it was all Good.

Maija - Have you got any inside tips for the final? (I think Maija means who do you think will be with you in the final)

If i did manage to get there again, I wouldnt discount ronnie to make it to the final. He is in good spirits and I expect him to play well this tournament but a lot of the boys seem to be playing well so they are all good enough.

nice fountain...

Comment

Ginger Toad...could not have put it better myself.

Ban the Toad he is mean to me!!

thank you please!!!!

Comment

ill give him ginger toad

Comment

you're not a toad. more like a frog prince

Comment

Originally Posted by ja. View Post
            you're not a toad. more like a frog prince
            "The sun oozed over the horizon, shoved aside darkness, crept along the greensward, and, with sickly fingers,
            pushed through the castle window, revealing the pillaged princess, hand at throat, crown asunder, gaping in
            frenzied horror at the sated, sodden amphibian lying beside her,
            disbelieving the magnitude of the frog's deception, screaming madly,
            "You lied! "

=o)

Noel

* one of the The Edward Bulwar Lytton prize-winning opening paragraphs.

Comment

A snooker player can afford trips to Monte Carlo, LA and Vegas ?
              sigpic
              Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

Comment

Working...
              X