New/Old Break off shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New/Old Break off shot?

When having a game over the weekend my opponent showed me a break which he called ‘the Captains Break’??

You position the cue ball next to the yellow, as close as possible without touching and play the break off diagonally between blue and pink and round the 4 cushions! I’ve tried it a few times now and it seems to be quite effective! Has anyone else seen this break? Or used it?

Not tried that one Steve but will have a go at it ,the break I use now is position the white close to the yellow ,play off the end red quite thin with no side ,the cue ball comes back right side of blue ,it’s more of the old traditional break ,seems to be a lot more effective of not Leaving as much as knocking it round the other side of the blue off 3 or 4 cushions and leaving a red or worse hitting the blue .I’m surprised more of the pros don’t go back to it ,I’ve even laid a few snookers doing it .

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
      When having a game over the weekend my opponent showed me a break which he called ‘the Captains Break’??

You position the cue ball next to the yellow, as close as possible without touching and play the break off diagonally between blue and pink and round the 4 cushions! I’ve tried it a few times now and it seems to be quite effective! Has anyone else seen this break? Or used it?
      Saw Ronnie try it a couple of years ago. Seem to recall he went straight into the blue for a foul.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

Saw Ronnie try it a couple of years ago. Seem to recall he went straight into the blue for a foul.
        Few guys in my local league were using it a year or so ago IIRC. Must have seen Ronnie doing it and decided to give it a go. Worked quite well. More entertaining than the Mark Williams break off lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
          Not tried that one Steve but will have a go at it ,the break I use now is position the white close to the yellow ,play off the end red quite thin with no side ,the cue ball comes back right side of blue ,it’s more of the old traditional break ,seems to be a lot more effective of not Leaving as much as knocking it round the other side of the blue off 3 or 4 cushions and leaving a red or worse hitting the blue .I’m surprised more of the pros don’t go back to it ,I’ve even laid a few snookers doing it .
          I guess the reason why pro’s don’t use it and even top amateurs is due to it not putting your opponent under any pressure with open reds on the next shot . A good normal break off should make your opponent have to come up with a great pot or safety shot.
          TBH, unless your opponent is going to consistently make a frame winning break from taking a chance and knocking in the open red I think your handing the initiative to your opponent with a negative break especially if you’re the stronger player .

Just my opinion of course

Comment

It still splits the reds up ,it just seems not too leave quite as much on ,its also easier to nail the cue ball closer to the bottom cushion .Its a lot more positive than Mark Williams break .As cloths have got faster the modern break off is less efficient anyway .

Comment

It still splits the reds up ,it just seems not too leave quite as much on ,its also easier to nail the cue ball closer to the bottom cushion .Its a lot more positive than Mark Williams break .As cloths have got faster the modern break off is less efficient anyway .
              Any break off shot is more positive than the Williams one .

Personally I like the good old smash the pack from the black cushion …..

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

Any break off shot is more positive than the Williams one .

Personally I like the good old smash the pack from the black cushion …..
                Lol you can’t go wrong with that ,it’s amazing how many times it leaves the white safe on the top cushion if you use a load of top ,also there’s a good chance of sliding one in the middle pocket .Love that shot, showing
                total disrespect to your opponent .

Comment

Lol you can’t go wrong with that ,it’s amazing how many times it leaves the white safe on the top cushion if you use a load of top ,also there’s a good chance of sliding one in the middle pocket .Love that shot, showing
                  total disrespect to your opponent .

Tbh , I think I is probably do that on my break if somebody done a ‘Williams’ on theirs

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

Yes. That is a far better break off ( instead of rolling up to the pack! ).

Comment

When I'm playing a negative player I use the check side break, cue ball right next to the green, right hand side on the cue ball and contact the third red from end and hit the shot at twice the pace as with running side. The reds split quite wide and the cue ball checks and slows off the top cushion and comes back over the green pocket. Leaves a difficult long red on but with no route around the back of the black the shot to nothing isn't an option.
                      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Playing the roll up break at our level of play is stupid? Just in case your opponent knocks in a long red and makes 6 !

Comment

I think I remember the chap saying he was shown this break by a mate in a club who had read about it from some old snooker book back in the day.... so it must have been around for a while? Either way it took me by surprise when he broke off! I’ve tried it a few times now and it’s growing on me, it seems easier to execute and avoids the blue. It also doesn’t seem to tie the black up? Which is better at amateur level, not so sure it would be that great for the pro’s, but then what is these day!?

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post

Playing the roll up break at our level of play is stupid? Just in case your opponent knocks in a long red and makes 6 !
                            It’s a negative boring break off at any level ,if I am playing someone I have to give a 40+ start to then I have to be careful on break offs and the early parts of the frame .On a level playing field ,I open them up the normal way and try and get a decent cue ball

Comment

It’s a negative boring break off at any level ,if I am playing someone I have to give a 40+ start to then I have to be careful on break offs and the early parts of the frame .On a level playing field ,I open them up the normal way and try and get a decent cue ball
                              That’s an interesting tactic mikee.
                              Wouldn't it better to open the reds up more if your playing somebody who you give 40 to although a smash of the black cushion could be a step too far . It’s not like they are going to make a decent break and you would want a more open game from the off.
                              Of course you could just tell me to shut up and you can play how you want

Comment

Working...
                              X