Struggling After Coach Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DougieL View Post
    Quick follow up to this. Been persevering with the 'pause' and starting to get it together now, thanks to some of the tips on this thread.

Managed a 49 break at my local club today, highest for a while - so moving in the right direction.

Thanks again all.

Cheers,
    Dougie.
    A pause isn't easy. When I started playing again the coach said I had virtually no pause. I worked on it for a good while and it is certainly something that improved my game.

For me, it gives the brain a quick sense check........but that's just me.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Quick follow up to this. Been persevering with the 'pause' and starting to get it together now, thanks to some of the tips on this thread.
      Please enlighten us, which tips Dougie ?

Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

One step back two steps forward

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post

One step back two steps forward

That’s what I keep telling myself at the moment after getting coaching myself. It’s a struggle to stay focused when you’ve gone 10 steps back

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

Please enlighten us, which tips Dougie ?
            From Starsky :- 'It takes time to change things and the best way to practice those changes is by yourself and with easy shots.'

From Cue Crafty :- 'The hard part is not thinking about it in real play and just focus on the shot, your subconscious needs to take over to a large extent. When you realise you've made 30 odd and all you was thinking of was you shot selection and position you've cracked it!'

Cheers,
            Dougie.

Comment

Thanks all for the replies on this thread. Been really helpful.
              With regards to coaching qualifications etc, I'm not sure about certificates in this regard but the guy who was coaching me was the first Scot to make the Crucible and has given a few of the top stars a defeat in his day. (now 75).
              Was so glad I met up with him. Just need to get the head down and practice. Great tips from you all !.
              Thanks,
              Dougie.
              I had a few lessons from Jim about 10 years ago. Still got the notes he gave me. IIRC I had a list of 10 things I had to concentrate on. Top of the list was to introduce a pause. Found it very difficult to do probably cos I was too old to change lol. Can’t teach an old dog etc etc.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
                I had a few lessons from Jim about 10 years ago. Still got the notes he gave me. IIRC I had a list of 10 things I had to concentrate on. Top of the list was to introduce a pause. Found it very difficult to do probably cos I was too old to change lol. Can’t teach an old dog etc etc.
                Did you do the other nine Nifty?
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Did you do the other nine Nifty?
                  Yes but probably not consistently. Pre-shot routine is something I do paying attention to position of feet. Jim said my feet were too close together. Eyes on object ball when delivering the cue is another one that helped.
                  PS. Another thing Jim did was to go through just how much you can move the cue ball about by going lower or higher on the cue ball. He called it his “Fan System”. Would need a diagram to explain this properly. For someone like me who did not have any cue ball control it was very useful.
                  Last edited by Nifty50; 18 August 2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X